Author Topic: Votes for Expat Brits  (Read 7490 times)

chi

Re: Votes for Expat Brits
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 09:36:36 PM »
keep their British status... also apply for dual citizenship to the homeland country !!!

British citizens by right of birth or by right of descent from one or more parents who were British by birth automatically retain their British citizenship even if they subsequently acquire additional national citizenship status by naturalisation in other countries, unless they formally relinquish their British nationality.

The only way that a person who is British by birth or by descent from parents who were British can cease to be British is if they make a formal renunciation of their British nationality to the British Government or Diplomatic authorities.

That's why the British Government was legally able to try William Joyce for treason after WW2, and he was an American born son of an Irish/British father.

Isn't the issue being able to vote
if they have not renunciated their
British status. Unless someone
takes on Citizenship of another
country & I doubt that they make
a formal renunciation of their British
nationality to the British Government
or Diplomatic authorities. or maybe
their action speaks louder than words ???

I suppose William Joyce was spared
being beheaded/quartered

“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Bigali

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 11:15:32 PM »
keep their British status... also apply for dual citizenship to the homeland country !!!

British citizens by right of birth or by right of descent from one or more parents who were British by birth automatically retain their British citizenship even if they subsequently acquire additional national citizenship status by naturalisation in other countries, unless they formally relinquish their British nationality.

The only way that a person who is British by birth or by descent from parents who were British can cease to be British is if they make a formal renunciation of their British nationality to the British Government or Diplomatic authorities.

That's why the British Government was legally able to try William Joyce for treason after WW2, and he was an American born son of an Irish/British father.

William Joyce was the holder of a British Passport at the time of his arrest, he got what was coming to him, end of .

Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

James James

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2016, 12:15:21 AM »
Well if so then the more than 30 other British collaborators who were arrested after WW2 must have been very fortunate not to have been treated similarly, and their nationality status wasn't in dispute, but the validity of his passport was, because he falsified his details on his passport application, and two of the three initial charges of treason against him were dismissed on the grounds of his being an American citizen and therefore not owing allegiance to Britain, which was exactly the grounds on which he was convicted.

Bigali

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2016, 12:29:39 AM »
Well if so then the more than 30 other British collaborators who were arrested after WW2 must have been very fortunate not to have been treated similarly, and their nationality status wasn't in dispute, but the validity of his passport was, because he falsified his details on his passport application, and two of the three initial charges of treason against him were dismissed on the grounds of his being an American citizen and therefore not owing allegiance to Britain, which was exactly the grounds on which he was convicted.

Here fella , you are obviously better educated than myself and I bow to your superior knowledge , I just answered your post as I saw fit bearing in mind that seventy years have passed since Joyce was sentenced and that Google wasn't available then .

Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

James James

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2016, 01:52:37 AM »
Wasn't available either when I first read about the case, books have been around a lot longer than the internet, but in any case, is their good knowledge or bad knowledge, or is there just accurate or inaccurate knowledge, and is it the singer or the song that's most relevant.?  http://tinyurl.com/zre988f

chi

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2016, 03:22:14 AM »
Wasn't available either when I first read about the case, books have been around a lot longer than the internet, but in any case, is their good knowledge or bad knowledge, or is there just accurate or inaccurate knowledge, and is it the singer or the song that's most relevant.?  http://tinyurl.com/zre988f

Doing research for my thesis was challenging.
I found that text book/teaching was limited.
The internet has opened that up, we have
many different pedagogical approaches with
so much more diversity plus the quantity of
information coming at students today is
enormous. :read:
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

jjmack

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 07:48:38 PM »

Mama always gave our spare votes to the poor Catholic family who came each week to scrub the half moon outside the front door. Leftover cake was always for them as well.    :)

:D
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Dark Lady

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 10:58:16 PM »
INTERNET collapsed/Crashed Totally Ceased to exist tomorrow be no big problem. Teachers would need to teach their pupils. Children could interact with real friends, Face book would be a picture of a face in a book, Society could come alive again kicking & screaming if need be

Dark Lady

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2017, 11:05:39 PM »
That would hopefully help those kiddiwinks(6-19yr olds) suffering loniless Belfast has lost her unique identity, tbh now she resembles many a city/street in england(Sad tho True)
Rant over

James James

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2017, 11:32:18 PM »
Not a rant, a valid point of view and personal commentary.

Dark Lady

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2017, 12:02:51 AM »
Thank you James James,

Kraffy

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »
I am a dual national here in Australia. I cannot vote in a British election as I have been here for the last 52 years and never been back to the U.K.
I think that if I did return I would be able to vote but I'm not sure if there would be a waiting period or something. After all I would be returning as a complete stranger after such a lapse in time.
I know that I can vote absentee in an Australian election if I am out of the country on hollidays and I'm sure the same would apply in the U.K.
I agree that if one lives in another country and has voting rights, he cannot have it both ways! It has to be one or the other.

McNamee

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2017, 03:26:59 PM »
Like you say Kraffy.  You can't have it both ways, One way or the other, like yourself, that is what I believe.  Only fair.

James James

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2017, 04:05:55 AM »
Anyway, be glad. You probably have something worth voting for there.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy