Author Topic: Antrim Road around Alexandra Park Avenue  (Read 7216 times)

Martin J Magill

Antrim Road around Alexandra Park Avenue
« on: June 02, 2016, 11:38:19 PM »
I'm doing some research into a house called Mossville which in 1924 was 349 Antrim Road, (it was bought by an order of nuns)it is now part of Tesco opposite the PSNI station which stands on the land where it was - wondering if anyone would have photographs of the houses along that stretch of the road? 

macroyal

Re: Antrim Road around Alexandra Park Avenue
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 11:07:54 AM »
on anyone from the shore road area there are lots of pictures and maps etc, including the antrim road and APA, you will have a lot to view but you might get lucky, one of the regular members is doing research on great houses of north belfast, again you might be lucky, best of luck,

ouldoll

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 05:41:57 PM »
I'm doing some research into a house called Mossville which in 1924 was 349 Antrim Road, (it was bought by an order of nuns)it is now part of Tesco opposite the PSNI station which stands on the land where it was - wondering if anyone would have photographs of the houses along that stretch of the road?

Do you know which order of nuns? I went to Fortwilliam and they bought up a lot of houses around the school though that wouldn't have been near.  I just wondered if they might have had plans to do something with a nearby property. They were Dominicans.

James James

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 11:08:24 PM »
ouldoll It was the Poor Clares, well respected in the area and much missed by all accounts after their present convent on the Cliftonville Road was closed in 2014. This is a youtube vid about them in their Cliftonville Road Convent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E1OmtBIldY

James James

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 11:14:27 PM »
It occurs to me that the architects of the Tesco store which is now on the former site of the house might well have pictures of the former buildings on the site.

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 07:32:23 AM »
I always thought Tescos on Antrim Rd was built on the site of the old Capitol picture house.
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

ouldoll

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 08:58:48 AM »
You're right, near the junction of the Antrim Road with Limestone Road and Cavehill Road.

macroyal

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 10:25:19 AM »
where abouts, left, right or down

James James

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
Good geographical related comments, really good pic. What's that building just to the right of the cinema.?

This is the current map of the area, it shows the two modern buildings, and it shows all of the street names that you've all just been mentioning.
http://tinyurl.com/zwa8q5w

James James

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 02:32:03 PM »
This is the cinema. http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/43762

This is what the accompanying text says.

403 Antrim Road, Belfast, BT15 3BG

The Capitol Cinema was situated at the junction of Antrim Road and Alexander Gardens, opened on 9th November 1935 with “The Nitwits”, starring comedy double act Wheeler and Woolsey. It was owned by Michael Curran, and used as his headquarters. For the convenience of its patrons, the Capitol Cinema had a café attached.

At some stage the Rank Organisation acquired the cinema, but closed it on 11 January 1975. It was demolished, and replaced by Stewarts Supermarket. In 2012, a Tesco supermarket operates on the site.

So the target address is 349 Antrim Road and the cinema was 403 Antrim Roadand Alexander Gardens is obviously gone now and must have been in the site of the present Tesco. Both odd numbers, which suggests that they were both on the same side of the Antrim Road.

So the next question is, was 349 demolished when the cinema was built in 1935.?

macroyal

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 08:11:27 PM »
Roberts pictures

macroyal

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 08:40:10 PM »

macroyal

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
This again is work from Jimmy and Robert

macroyal