Author Topic: Antrim Road around Alexandra Park Avenue  (Read 7254 times)

James James

Re: Antrim Road around Alexandra Park Avenue
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 03:04:26 AM »
The address information in post 9 from the cinema site, isn't quite right.
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/43762

It gives the location of the cinema as being at the junction of the Antrim Road and Alexander Gardens, the Belfast Street Directories on the Lennon Wylie site and the past and present maps all show that the cinema was on the south eastern corner of the junction of Antrim Road and Alexandra Park Avenue.
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/

It gives the address of the cinema as 403 Antrim Road, it wasn't, the Belfast Street directory for 1951 shows that it was 405 although that could be accounted for by the demolition of on building at some stage, so in either case both of the street numbers for the cinema are more or less the same, and also, the street numbers for the Antrim Road were drastically changed between 1924 and 1951.

In 1924 Mossville was 349 the original poster said that it was 341 but again that could be accounted for by number changes.

So, did the original poster get the number wrong or wrongly assume that the relevant house was Mossville, well I don't know about the number, but what is most relevant and crucial is, did the nuns occupy Mossville, and was Mossville on the future site of the cinema.?

The answer to both questions is yes, the cinema was built in 1935 and the pre and post 1935 street directories show that the locations of both the cinema and Mossville were at the junction of Antrim Road and Alexandra Park Avenue and the cinema picture confirms that.

Page 745 of Thom's Commercial Directory of Great Britain and Ireland 1927 has this listing...

POOR CLARE COLETTINE CONVENT Poor Clare Colettine Convent Lady Michael's Mossville Antrim-road Belfast

So regardless of what the exact street number was at any given time, the original poster called the name and present location of the site of their residence correctly, and Jack The Kipper called it's former location on the future site of the cinema correctly.

So the present and former location of the site of Mossville is a done deal, end of.

It obviously must have been demolished either at the time of, or prior to, the building of the cinema in 1935, and judging by the size of the cinema plot and the location of the building to the viewers right of the cinema picture, it was probably quite a large building.

From the street directories, and the picture, I reckon that the other building was probably Antrim Lodge, and if any picture of that could be found it might also include Mossville.

stiofan

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 01:12:59 PM »
Jimmy i think for this one, top of skegoneill or near about ,minds gone blank
It sure is.  I think that I was born in a nursing home just to the right of the picture.

tommytwotoes

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 08:56:12 PM »
I cud be wrong but I thut that  347/349 antrim rd  was cassidy,s bar on the limestone rd/castleton, junc,
the BSD bac then was full of wrongly numbered properties ,,,
regards tommy
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

Martin J Magill

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 06:53:59 PM »
Thanks for all the responses - I am doing research on the Poor Clares (religious order of nuns) they lived in Mossville 349 Antrim Road until June 1926 when they moved to the Cliftonville Road - the monastery closed in 2012

johnmc

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 03:12:19 AM »
hello MJM , I  recently watched  some film clips on the Poor Clares  convent ,re dedication ceremony. I had no idea about the interior .
                      Interesting. I can remember going ,with my mother, with donations and leaving them at the gate on Cliftonville Rd.
                                                   johnmc

Martin J Magill

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 11:56:45 PM »
Thanks for all the posts re the area.  I have been making some progress with my research.  I wonder if anyone has heard of Antrim Lodge - it was sold in 1935 - I'm wondering was it also knocked down to make way for the Capitol cinema? 

Moondog43

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 12:33:46 AM »
New Antrim lodge  built just coming to water works.
 Doubt any thing relative

James James

speedypost

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 10:13:42 PM »

tesco address is 403-405 antrim road i believe both buildings were knocked down to build stewarts supermarket

jimn

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 12:20:03 PM »
The house next to PSNI barracks was called Cul-Eden. Owned by Mr George Scott and his wife Catherine. Scott`s were Ship repairers of Garmoyle St. Mrs Scott was a patron of the Holy Family Church. She was originally Catherine McKeown from Smithfield. Her family were General Dealers and hired out handcarts to traders. The Capitol picture house was owned by the Curran Family who lived on the Antrim Rd opposite Baltic Ave

wee legs

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 02:47:41 PM »
A small correction to save you some possible confusion. Catherine Scott's maiden name was Dean, daughter of Hugh Dean of Smithfield. There was indeed a Catherine McKeown in the family but that was Catherine Scott's neice, my great aunt. Catherine McKeown later married Patrick Dean from a distant branch of her grandfather's family, thus causing much confusion in the family tree!
just keep going, it's better than the alternative.

speedypost

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2016, 10:18:17 PM »
Just asked my dad who is ninety years old.... The house in question remained and was never demolished it was made of sand stone, the cinema was built at the side of it right on the the footpath side of Alexandra park avenue ... I hope this helps 😀

CMcG

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 09:48:20 AM »
Under 'FOR SALE' in the Northern Whig of 31 May 1923, note the size of the garden:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »

Just asked my dad who is ninety years old.... The house in question remained and was never demolished it was made of sand stone, the cinema was built at the side of it right on the the footpath side of Alexandra park avenue ... I hope this helps 😀

So presumably the Alexandra Park Avenue side of the large garden was sold off and they built the Capitol in that space, right up beside the house, that being the case, is that not Mossville (or its remains) in the photo posted at reply #7?
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

speedypost

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2016, 05:05:24 PM »
Hi I showed the pic of the capital to my father today and he said that the house beside the capital was mossvile and that the currans had bought it and built the cinema in the garden he said that the cinema had a cafe upstairs but it was later closed due to the more academic affluent residents around the Antrim road using it for more social purposes and not buying anything from it! he also said that one of the curran children attended holy family primary and that the curran family had a business in the town which sold almost everything.