Author Topic: Irish Civil Records - Free To View  (Read 13035 times)

CMcG

Irish Civil Records - Free To View
« on: September 08, 2016, 09:24:40 AM »
The historic records of Births over 100 years ago, Marriages over 75 years ago and Deaths over 50 years ago of the General Register Office (GRO), will soon be available to view on www.irishgenealogy.ie, following their launch at 5.30pm on Thursday 8th September 2016.

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/news/73-coming-soon-to-irishgenealogy-ie

Just an update to say that I've been able to view digitised images this morning and there appears to be no charge (...yet, fingers crossed!) - an amazing new resource.

DerrynDown

Re: Irish Civil Records - Free To View
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 02:08:17 PM »
Excellent site lets hope it remains so

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:05:38 PM »
Thanks for sharing this CMcG :D
LGC
Dempsey Rooney McGivern Nolan Hughes O'Neill Bogue O'Hara Boyle Madden Donnelly Downey Fegan Foster Farr Sheils McCormack Gracey Gallagher McDowell

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 06:15:24 PM »
According to the well known genealogy blogger Claire Santry, images available so far include:

- civil birth records from 1864 to 1915;
- civil marriage records from 1882 to 1940 (though obviously not including marriages for the NI counties post partition);
- civil death records from 1891 to 1965 (comment as above re. deaths for NI counties).

Images of the pre-1882 marriages and pre-1891 deaths are to be added to the website in due course. 

Here's the press release, it's looking like the intention is to keep it free in the longer term, so thanks are due to the Irish Government and people:

http://www.ahrrga.gov.ie/ministers-humphreys-and-varadkar-launch-millions-of-historic-births-deaths-and-marriage-records-on-www-irishgenealogy-ie/

Absolutely fantastic.

James James

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:32:36 PM »
That's very useful information, I've reported it to the moderator and suggested that it be pinned to the top of this section.

haonghusa

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:04:43 PM »
Great new resource but pity about the captcha nonsense.

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 04:45:24 PM »
Going by the 1911 census my Great Grandparents had 9 children born with 5 surviving.
I had found three of the deceased children & for the past 5 years I've been looking for that one other child.
Today on irishgenealogy I found him!!!
He was called James and was the second child born but I cannot find his birth/baptism anywhere.
A third child born 6 months after James died & was also a James so I didn't even think of looking for another child called James.
It took me awhile, it was only the 85th death I looked at...
Even though I'm sad about the death I am happy to find him.
LGC

Dempsey Rooney McGivern Nolan Hughes O'Neill Bogue O'Hara Boyle Madden Donnelly Downey Fegan Foster Farr Sheils McCormack Gracey Gallagher McDowell

James James

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 10:13:04 PM »
Possibly the first child was still born, in which case he wouldn't have a birth registration nor a baptism. You don't say what age the deceased child was, but if he did indeed die at birth I can't understand how the same mother could have another child who was born born 6 months later, how could that be biologically possible.?! Unrelated addendum, just saw a person in the 1911 Irish census with one forename, found a birth record for that person on the Irish genealogy site, and that forename turned out to be the second forename of two forenames which that person had, but it was only the second forename which was used on the census.

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 11:23:58 PM »
I should explain...
1st James Dempsey died 14.08.1901 aged 17 mths.
2nd James Dempsey born 23.01.1902.
I have birth, baptism & death certs for 1902 James.
I have searched for 1st James' birth & baptism with no luck. Can only guess he wasn't registered or the spelling of his name is different from the combinations I have tried.
1901 census has him born in County Down
Hope that explains it...
It's a wonder we can actually find our relatives with the different spellings/combinations...
I found have found some of my Foster relatives recorded as Footer & Foroster...
LGC

James James

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 01:17:21 AM »
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

DOCUMENT IMAGE DISPLAY PROBLEM ON THE ABOVE SITE

That site was working fine for me yesterday, but I just checked the 1902 birth record which is listed in the previous post above, and the record transcription page appeared just fine, BUT, when I clicked on the link at the bottom of that page in order to display the image of the original document, a new page opened which was completely black.

I checked that out, and according to the information on the link below, the above site has been experiencing such intermittent document display problems for several days, and the site was completely down for a time yesterday. The cause seems to be that technical adjustments were being made to the site, and so similar problems may recur in the near future.
http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/

James James

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 03:28:02 AM »
Ah, fixed it, despite that site having the issues mentioned above, my particular problem seems to have been caused by me, at my end, in my browser, but the same thing might apply to other people who might have a similar problem with not being able to view original image documents on that site. Those document images are in the form of pdf format document files, and I had accidentally switched off the browser extension program which enables my browser to display pdf document files.

blackicerose

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 12:48:05 PM »
I should explain...
1st James Dempsey died 14.08.1901 aged 17 mths.
2nd James Dempsey born 23.01.1902.
I have birth, baptism & death certs for 1902 James.
I have searched for 1st James' birth & baptism with no luck. Can only guess he wasn't registered or the spelling of his name is different from the combinations I have tried.
1901 census has him born in County Down
Hope that explains it...
It's a wonder we can actually find our relatives with the different spellings/combinations...
I found have found some of my Foster relatives recorded as Footer & Foroster...
LGC

Hi Loneygrandchild,

Could this be your James from 1901? https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1901/05721/4614496 (Bottom of the page)

I find the search a bit temperamental, I used these search terms: ja* demp* 1901-1901, death. my first search brought up no results, when I tried again it brought up 15 matches.

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 06:58:55 PM »
Hi Blackicerose, yeah, that's my James.
I was actually looking for a birth or baptism record for him.
I appreciate you taking the time to look.
LGC

parkie

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 01:14:44 PM »
CMcG -Thanks for sharing, this is fantastic

Margana

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 06:15:43 PM »
Re two children having the same name in the same family, I think that this was not uncommon at that time. In my own family tree, I have found two examples within the same family where one child died and the next child born, of the same sex, was given that name. It can really mess up your research if you are not aware of this.