Author Topic: Irish Civil Records - Free To View  (Read 13004 times)

valkerr

Re: Irish Civil Records - Free To View
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »
You can use an asterisk as a wildcard in the name fields - m*thur will find McArthur, M'Arthur, MacArthur, McCarthur etc.
And it's not necessary to put in a surname, you can search on just First Name... very useful!

archworth

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 07:41:44 PM »
Is it possible to save these records to a family or email them to yourself to add?  have tried both with poor results.

valkerr

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 11:18:27 PM »
Is it possible to save these records to a family or email them to yourself to add?  have tried both with poor results.
You can download the page as a PDF file - top right hand corner, little Down arrow icon next to the printer icon.
Or do a screenshot. I do both.

archworth

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 12:11:05 AM »
Thank  you, it works well.

James Mullan

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 05:00:48 PM »
I'm looking at a marriage record in the Irish Civil Records.  The marriage took place September 1921 at St. Nicholas RC Church in "the Registrar's District of Carrickfergus, in the Union of Larne".  One of the married couple gives "Greenisland" as the address at the time of the marriage.

I see on the map where Greenisland is.  Now I want to locate "Greenisland" in the 1901 and 1911 census, but it does not show up where I have browsed looking i.e. in Larne, Carrickfergus and Belfast.  There does not seem to be an Antrim DED that would include Greenisland.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

James

CMcG

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 06:16:39 PM »
Greenisland was in the townland of West Division (DED of Carrickfergus Rural).

James Mullan

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 07:31:09 PM »
Once again thank you.

pcroghan

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 09:48:16 PM »
Hi All,
The new release of records in the Republic has been a long time coming and have helped me to verify many people in my family tree and get hints about others. When you add this to the previous release of the church records by the NLI on pdf last year which have been digitised by Findmypast we have plenty of Irish records to search now. Aside from the Findmypast records the rest are all free. Unfortunately GRONI records are still not free or indeed easy to access for someone like me in Kildare.  I need to find a marriage record in Belfast sometime between 1915 and 1930 but where do I start.

James James

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 02:04:01 AM »
Have you looked on the Irish Civil Records site that is referred to on this thread, if the marriage took place up to 1922 in Belfast it should be listed on there.
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-years-are-covered-by-the-historic-records-of-births-marriages-and-deaths

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

If you have enough information GRONI will do a search for you for a fee.

kraftcheese

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 08:40:27 AM »
The historic records of Births over 100 years ago, Marriages over 75 years ago and Deaths over 50 years ago of the General Register Office (GRO), will soon be available to view on www.irishgenealogy.ie, following their launch at 5.30pm on Thursday 8th September 2016.

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/news/73-coming-soon-to-irishgenealogy-ie

Just an update to say that I've been able to view digitised images this morning and there appears to be no charge (...yet, fingers crossed!) - an amazing new resource.

CMcG, thank you for posting this link.  I've been able to find a couple of my ancestors.  Very pleased. :)
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

CMcG

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 09:03:43 AM »
CMcG, thank you for posting this link.  I've been able to find a couple of my ancestors.  Very pleased. :)

As am I, where it overlaps with the records held by GRONI, it is literally saving 2.50 per view to see the original birth / marriage / death registration.  :) 

muriel crooks

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 04:36:09 AM »
This site was amazing thank you so much for posting best site i have ever used including ancestry

CMcG

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 10:39:28 AM »
Just to say that the 'irishgenealogy.ie.' website is currently implementing a further major update to it's civil records as follows:

- in line with the policy of making available birth registrations over 100 years old, images for 1916 are being added;
- images of marriage registrations (from what's currently available) back to 1870 are being added;   
- images of death registrations (from what's currently available) back to 1878 are being added.

This update should be complete within the next day or two, work will then continue on digitising and placing online the outstanding images of marriage registrations (1845-1869) and death registrations (1864 to 1877), current plans are to have this done by mid-2018.

kraftcheese

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »
CMcG,  Many thanks for this update.  It's a great resource.
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

James James

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 01:06:58 PM »
Thankyou, that's useful to know.

You're talking about the Irish civil records site that is provided by the Irish Government.

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

That's a great and very useful site, when it works properly.

However, users of that site should be aware, that it contains many errors and omissions.

For example, try searching for births for the surname Lundy after 1916 on that site.

Then try the same search on this site...

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/irish-births-1864-1958

Then try the same search for the surname Lundy on both sites, for any other year or year range, or for any other surname or year or year range on both sites.

Notice too the search result on this site for the births for the surname Lundy in 1916.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records/irish-births-1864-1958?lastname=lundy&eventyear=1916&eventyear_offset=0

Note the search result on that site for...

Mary Teresa Lundy ... 1916 Tobercurry Registration District   County Sligo

That birth record appears on the Irish site as...

Birth registration of Mary Lundy born on 17 August 1916 Tubbercurry Registration District Mother's Birth Surname   CLARKE

Tubbercurry and Tobercurry are correct alternative spellings for the same place.

Note also the birth search results on the Irish site for the surname Lundy in 1916 for...

Birth of BRIDGET FLATLEY on 01 October 1916  Tubbercurry Registration District Mother's Birth Surname LUNDY

So the Irish site is finding mother's maiden surnames as well as the surname of the child, even when the surnames are different because the mother was presumably married, or because an unmarried father acknowledged paternity.