Author Topic: A Monthly Meet  (Read 9284 times)

Christopher

Re: A Monthly Meet
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 11:21:13 PM »
What would the views of members be on a couple of large themed meets ??? A Meet for those whose Ancestors worked at Harland and Wolff and a Meet for those whose Ancestors worked in the Linen Industry. We could possibly pencil in a date for August or September 2007. We could post details on other websites. It might create interest in this site and bring in new members.

eddiec

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 03:14:10 PM »
I'm sure there is a meeting of those who used to work in the H&W held in the H&W Welders Club in Dee Street
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Christopher

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 03:24:07 PM »
Eddie,

We are at cross purposes here.

I mean a Meet of people tracing their ancestors who worked in the Mills and in the Shipyard. People in Britain, NZ, Oz and the US.

I wonder if the guys in the various H & W Clubs would assist us with their memories ... these could be useful to those trying to get information about their relatives.

Christopher

eddiec

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 04:35:02 PM »
Not exactly at cross purposes... just a mention as a point of information :)

Good idea though...

What about organising something in conjunction with the East Belfast Historical Society

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Christopher

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 03:42:01 PM »
Eddie I have the East Belfast Historical Society in mind. We may be able to interest them in assisting with a three day event next year in Belfast. I've been in touch with a couple of guys who organise a wide variety of tours including genealogy tours for groups and for extended family groups. They advised me that they'd be delighted to assist me getting genealogy meets and tours in NI off the ground. The UHF run one but I feel there is room for a least another one.

GermanMaster

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 09:52:24 PM »
Hi,
are there any themes possible?
I don't know anything about my ancestors only that they were irish soldiers and left Ireland 300/400 years ago and settled down in what is called today Poland and moved in the beginning of the last century to Germany.
Now I am "back".
So i would appreciate a meeting just for fun.

Don't dream, do it.

Christopher

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 10:39:52 PM »
That's a good idea GermanMaster. I think rather than have a meeting on the last Saturday as initially suggested it might be better for a few of us to meet for coffee or a drink, introduce ourselves and chat about general matters as we do on the Forum. Maybe we could have an informal discussion about the site and ideas for increasing the membership. There are specific sites on the net for dating, people who have interests in specific subjects or for busy people who want to meet other busy people for social events. Belfast Forum is basically for a bit of a chat sitting at our computers in our own homes in the evenings but it does have the genealogy board which qualifies as a specific subject and there seems to be a slight interest in poetry. If we start with a few small meetings then they may grow into larger events.

MAgeeka

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 05:37:18 AM »
Christopher
I think I may be in Belfast September 2007
If you guys have anything planned, please let me know as I would like to join you all.

Christopher

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 05:47:10 AM »
Thanks Mageeka. 8)

We've a better chance of planning things as the membership grows.
Have you any plans regarding which part of September you will be here ???

MAgeeka

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 10:57:31 PM »
Chris
I believe it will be the first 2 or 3 weeks  of September

Christopher

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 11:50:11 PM »
When you are able to confirm the dates Mageeka we could post some details on this thread and possibly arrange a meet. The Kitchen Bar, managed by Forum member mreid, might be a good spot to meet.

MAgeeka

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2006, 03:48:30 AM »
Sounds great to me Christopher
I will let you know ASAP

Keith Campbell

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 08:48:33 AM »
Hi Chris
I see allot of chat about monthly meetings, are they still on? and where & when is the next one I would like to meet some of the guys and girls face to face.
today started like any other but then  ...

olelad

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2006, 08:50:14 AM »
so would i.

Christopher

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2006, 12:29:34 PM »
Hiya Keith,

Great to hear this and same to you olelad.

I've been giving this thought as the meets have not happened to date.

A meet did take place in July when a group of people including three Forum members .. teap, joebhoy and myself met with people from RootsChat and Another Friend. I feel there are sufficient sites with Belfast people posting messages for us to be able to gather together a number of us to meet up for a drink or even a meal. How about using the Kitchen Bar as the meeting place. and make it a Monday might for a kick off? I could make Mondays my day in Belfast as I should make more regular visits to PRONI and the city centre libraries.

I had the pleasure of meeting Holly at a dinner last night in Dublin which was great crack so Forum members are getting around. I'm not sure if she spread the word.. I certainly did .. the unique T shirt could not be missed 8) I'm not going to give ages away here so I'll say most of us were 21 plus a good profit margin plus VAT. There were 20 people at that event. I'm contacting the people who organsied that one to requewst some assistance with a meeting in June when 50+ people will be in Dublin for a three day event. It's a Family History event but the Saturday Night will be a social event ... 'Meet the Irish' I hope some Forum members will be able to attend.

Chris