Author Topic: A Monthly Meet  (Read 9283 times)

Keith Campbell

Re: A Monthly Meet
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2006, 05:30:57 PM »
Hi Chris
I will be nice to meet other members however picking a time and place to suit all will be difficult, unfortunately week nights will be out for me as i am up 0500 for work so bedtime comes early, having said that i don't work Friday Saturday or Sunday, well you know what they say you cant please everyone. ma-by we could make it a Saturday when most are off work.
today started like any other but then  ...

Christopher

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2006, 11:20:51 PM »
Saturday is OK but we need to settle on a time and specific date, Keith. There seems to be only the two of us discussing this at the moment. The dinner in Dublin began with three people who had a good night a month or two ago so they posted about a month ago and twenty two arrived last night. If we can get three or four to test the water this side of Christmas then at the end of January we might get a larger number. Lets have at least one meet then we can come back with a plan for another one.

I've got a message that one of our members sings in a family group with her brother and sister. I have not a clue if it's a folk group or a pop group. I know our member lives in Belfast .. I think her sister lives in Belfast but am not sure where the brother lives. She's offered to do a gig in Dublin in June 2007 when a crowd of people (approx 50 at the moment) who are interested in Family History are having a three day meet. I suggested to the people who were there last night that they join in on the Saturday night but we might consider the Friday rather than the Saturday for the music. I hope some Belfast Forum members will travel to Dublin for either the Friday or Saturday. Further details will be posted soon.

eddiec

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006, 03:45:52 PM »
Said it before... any lunchtime... most other times are out for me.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Christopher

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 03:54:53 PM »
Does that include Saturday lunchtime ???

AL CAPONE

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 08:13:02 PM »
Saturday lunchtime in the mermaid :D

Christopher

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2006, 03:29:12 AM »
Saturday lunchtime in the mermaid :D

Where's the Mermaid, Al ???

AL CAPONE

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2006, 07:45:06 AM »
just off ann st

Christopher

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2006, 11:24:28 AM »
just off ann st

Can you get a meal in the Mermaid, Al ??? They don't appear to have a web site so I'm unable to look at the menu. The Kitchen Bar have a menu on their website. I'm agreeable to meeting anywhere. So far we now have two suggestions as to where to meet.

The Kitchen Bar, 36 - 40 Victoria Square, Belfast. BT1 4DY Phone: 028 9032 4901

The Mermaid Inn, 5 - 7 Wilsons Court, Belfast. BT1 4DQ Phone: 028 9032 7829

AL CAPONE

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2006, 12:36:07 PM »
yes christopher you can get a good feed in it!

Christopher

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2006, 08:52:37 AM »
There will be a one day Belfast Forum and RootsChat Belfast Meet in July or August. There will be a couple from Australia coming over. A programme will be planned later. The following names are on the list at the moment....

Possibles/Probables

Christopher (Co. Down)
Colette and friend
Leslie
Pentio
Sunseeker and his wife (Australia)

Keith Campbell

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2006, 08:56:43 AM »
There will be a one day Belfast Forum and RootsChat Belfast Meet in July or August. There will be a couple from Australia coming over. A programme will be planned later. The following names are on the list at the moment....

Possibles/Probables

Christopher (Co. Down)
Colette
Leslie
Pentio

Hi Chris what is a rootschat ? Would I be right in thinking its about local genelogy?
today started like any other but then  ...

Christopher

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2006, 09:02:24 AM »
It's about genealogy Keith but we have a very informal meeting. This year we met in the Linenhall Linrary, then had a bite to eat in a restaurant near the Library. After that we visited St Annes and finally joined a guided tour of the City Hall. Some of the people from England and Wales had a meal in town in the evening.

There's a three day RootsChat Meet in Dublin next June.  Hopefully there will be a couple of talks about genealogy at that event .. but it will still be fairly informal. The idea is to put names to faces and strengthen friendships .. you receive messages requesting look ups and wonder what the person sending the message is like.

Christopher

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2007, 03:58:54 AM »
I'm attempting to get organised here. There are a number of people heading to Dublin in June. There's a one day event in Belfast in July. Whilst these are based around Family History meeting locals is important too. People who come here to research their past may not have living relations in this part of the world. They have the various archives to visit but when they close for the day or for the weekend there's time for them to meet locals. If they knew some of us were meeting regurarly on a Saturday at lunch time I'm sure they would be more than delighted to join us. 

I posted the message below on a Dublin based site to see if I can get more than sixty people for the event in June. If it proves a success then a similar event in Belfast is on the cards for 2008. I'm sure people from other parts of Ireland would come to Belfast once they see we are running a regular get together.   

Event Title Meet to plan a Meet
Event Description A meeting of people interested in offering to assist with the organisation of a three day Gathering in Dublin on 22nd - 24th June. There will be people from all over the UK and Australia at the June event 60 people have already indicated interest in attending. Could we possibly persuade AF members from further afield to come to Ireland.  Event Location Dublin Event Date 27-Jan-07

Christopher

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2007, 02:48:51 PM »
Please see my previous message. I appear to be lumbered with the organisation of a three day Meet in Dublin in June of this year. Links to the discussions about this are pinned on the RootsChat Ireland board. There will be a small meeting in Dublin on 27th January to start making a few more plans. I've some friends in the Dublin area.
A few of them will be attending on 27th January. Are there any Belfast members who would like to help and go to Dublin on the 27th? The June event is open to all Forum members. There will be a one day Belfast meet in July. Perhaps we should have a planning meet well before that event .. the agenda will include plans for the Dublin event, plans for the Belfast one day event and a discussion about the possibility of a three day event in Belfast.   

teap

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2007, 04:19:51 PM »
Im going to Birmingham on the 27th back the 29th so thats me out.

Sorry Christopher

Colette