Author Topic: the starlight bar, nixon street, shankill road  (Read 1683 times)

fallsgwen

the starlight bar, nixon street, shankill road
« on: September 29, 2016, 11:43:48 PM »
The Starlight Bar in the 60's was packed every weekend with some of the best talent in the country.  Anyone remember Victor McGuigan? He was the resident singer and used to breed German Shepherds. He might remember me, Gwen Falls. I was a waitress at the time. Many a romance started in the Starlight, the atmosphere was great and some of the best bands played there.

Here's hoping there is someone out there who remembers this great pub and the good times had by all....... :P

Bigali

Re: the starlight bar, nixon street, shankill road
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 12:15:51 AM »
I don't know it  but where was it ?  :)
Tout Prest

jmac

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 12:17:23 AM »
The Starlight Bar in the 60's was packed every weekend with some of the best talent in the country.  Anyone remember Victor McGuigan? He was the resident singer and used to breed German Shepherds. He might remember me, Gwen Falls. I was a waitress at the time. Many a romance started in the Starlight, the atmosphere was great and some of the best bands played there.

Here's hoping there is someone out there who remembers this great pub and the good times had by all....... :P
Was that bar also known as Lizzy Thompson's?
Drank there in the early 70s, it was a great place for a good sing song on a Saturday afternoon
And some great bands and singers on a Saturday night.
Used to go there with an ex girlfriend
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

Bigali

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 12:19:24 AM »
Was that bar also known as Lizzy Thompson's?

JMac you oul dog  ;)
Tout Prest

James James

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 11:03:20 PM »
I don't know it  but where was it ?  :)
Just a wild guess, but it was probably where the message title said that it was, in Nixon Street.

Nixon Street was on the south side of the Shankill.

It was a short street which ran west to east between Wilton Street at it's western end and Conway Street at it's eastern end, and travelling along Nixon Street from west to east it cut across Urney Street and then Argyle Street.

Today it would be more or less just to the west of where Berlin Street would join Argyle Street if the southern end of Berlin Street was extended for about 200 yards south of it's junction with the Shankill.

It looks like there were two pubs in Nixon Street, one at the south east corner of Nixon Street and Argyle Street, and one on the south side of the eastern end of Nixon Street at the Junction with Conway Street.

In 1960 it looks as though the pub at the corner of Argyle Street was numbers 2 to 4 and thee publican was Mrs. Elizabeth Thompson.

In 1960 it looks like the pub at the corner of Conway Street was numbers 200 to 202 and the publican was A.D. King.

Nixon Street was redeveloped in the mid 1960's.

jmac

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 12:01:29 PM »
Just a wild guess, but it was probably where the message title said that it was, in Nixon Street.

Nixon Street was on the south side of the Shankill.

It was a short street which ran west to east between Wilton Street at it's western end and Conway Street at it's eastern end, and travelling along Nixon Street from west to east it cut across Urney Street and then Argyle Street.

Today it would be more or less just to the west of where Berlin Street would join Argyle Street if the southern end of Berlin Street was extended for about 200 yards south of it's junction with the Shankill.

It looks like there were two pubs in Nixon Street, one at the south east corner of Nixon Street and Argyle Street, and one on the south side of the eastern end of Nixon Street at the Junction with Conway Street.

In 1960 it looks as though the pub at the corner of Argyle Street was numbers 2 to 4 and thee publican was Mrs. Elizabeth Thompson.

In 1960 it looks like the pub at the corner of Conway Street was numbers 200 to 202 and the publican was A.D. King.

Nixon Street was redeveloped in the mid 1960's.

That's the same bar, never heard it called the Starlight before, everyone called it Lizzy Thompson's
That area of the Shankill was known as the Nik in those days
Brings back some happy memories.

Ubique

James James

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 08:10:05 AM »
Presumably that was the one on the corner of Argyle Street, so what was the name of the other one on the corner of Conway Street.?

jmac

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 08:52:12 AM »
Presumably that was the one on the corner of Argyle Street, so what was the name of the other one on the corner of Conway Street.?
I only remember one bar being in the Nixon St area, the other bar may have closed down by the time I was frequenting LizzyThompsons in the early 70s.

Ubique

James James

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 09:04:44 AM »
I only remember one bar being in the Nixon St area, the other bar may have closed down by the time I was frequenting Lizzy Thompsons in the early 70s.
Early 70's !, supposedly the Nixon Street area was redeveloped in the mid 1960's but there isn't much of a source for that and it could be wrong.

JackM

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 01:17:48 PM »
That's the same bar, never heard it called the Starlight before, everyone called it Lizzy Thompson's
That area of the Shankill was known as the Nik in those days
Brings back some happy memories.

Never remember Lizzie Thompsons referred to as the `Starlight`? Reputed to have been the only pub in Ireland with a Leopard skin carpet, it wasn't really, the spots were created by punters stomping out their ciggies. lol  Only ever in it the once, what a dive it was.  :o :o I remember the `Limelight` at the corner of Dover Street. The pub in Conway Street was the `Glencoe` bar.  :) :) I think Lizzie Thompson`s lasted into the late 70`s early 1980`s when that area was redeveloped.  :) :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.

JackM

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 01:10:46 PM »
I seem to remember another bar in Conway Street, down at the Falls Road end, corner of David Street or Ashmore Street, the `Foundry Bar` I think. Another filthy hovel, it was used by Mill workers and the workers of Combe Barbour.  :)

JackM

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 03:09:30 PM »
Remember going to Lizzie Thompson's one Xmas eve which was a Saturday afternoon. They used to call up singers from the audience. This guy got up and pulled out his flute. We thought we were going to hear, `Silent Night` or `Away in a Manger` or something of a similar festive note. Not a bit of it, as the guy launched into `The Sash` how original !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
A post from from Shankill Watering Holes by Son of Shanks.  :) :)

JackM

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »
You were lucky sonof; I was in it once in my life and this reasonably good looking bird made a play for me. When she went to the loo, three boys came over to me and told me in no uncertain terms, to leave her alone and clear off (only not so politely ) I decided to leave and they caught up with me outside and gave me a `going over` What a dump, what a dive, full of tramps, Leopard skin carpet indeed.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A post from Shankill Watering Holes by Stevieboy.  :)

JackM

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 03:14:17 PM »
Lizzy Thompsons in the Nick was said to have Leopard skin carpet but it was really where people had put their cigarettes out, what a dive that was.

A post from Shankill Watering holes by Hendy.  :)

jjmack

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 05:54:43 AM »
Never remember Lizzie Thompsons referred to as the `Starlight`? Reputed to have been the only pub in Ireland with a Leopard skin carpet, it wasn't really, the spots were created by punters stomping out their ciggies. lol  Only ever in it the once, what a dive it was.  :o :o I remember the `Limelight` at the corner of Dover Street. The pub in Conway Street was the `Glencoe` bar.  :) :) I think Lizzie Thompson`s lasted into the late 70`s early 1980`s when that area was redeveloped.  :) :)

Can't be sure but I think Lizzie Thompsons lasted until around 1975 / 76 when the area was redeveloped. I had an old Aunt who lived in the area and I recall her being rehoused around that time.  :)  Wonder did they ever salvage the Leopard skin carpet. Lol  :D
Wear your red poppy with pride.  BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of Law and Order, past and present.