Author Topic: The Jazzer.  (Read 1207 times)

shamrox

The Jazzer.
« on: November 24, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »
Any of you remember the Jazzer.  'twas a gr8 place in the day. late 70's early 60's.

David (Joe) Martin

Re: The Jazzer.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:40:55 AM »
I spent every night including Sundays either in the Jazz Club or Maritime from 63-4 til around 68. We would have a drink in the Fiddlers if we were going to the Maritime also the Spanish Rooms. The Crown was the watering hole if it was the Jazzer. Me and my 3 mates possibly saved Van Morrison from getting a big slap from a couple of lads in the Jazz club just after he came back from THEM'S FIRST Americian tour.

shamrox

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:07:17 PM »
Hey D.( J.) M. ,

Great of you to post something on my post re. the Jazzer.

I was goin  to the Jazzer in and around 1966 to 1970 time frame when Sammy Huston's associate Lindsy or Lyndsy (don't know the spelling) and his wife were running the place. It was on a bit of a down hill trajectory around that time but the whole MIXED crowd really enjoyed going to it. We were from all over the place at that time >> Falls , Shankill , Sandy Row , Andy Town , Lisburn , ect. ect
I had a few  pints in The Crown during those years and am so glad that it has survived all the upheaval that came around that time and later years. I know that the building itself (Sammy Houston's) didn't fair so well , I believe it was bombed or burned out in the 70's .

I also remember the Spanish Rooms very well and especially the "Salad Sandwiches" they used to sell there , and not to leave out the Scrumpy !!! "ByThe Gallon"
 !!!!     Take Care . great to hear from you.         

teragram

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 11:13:15 PM »
Locals called it The Scrumpy Rooms. Remember the man Jimmy Coyle used to own it. Always wore a dicky bow. Think he also owned the Chlorane bar in Gresham Street.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

shamrox

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 07:28:02 PM »
Yeah , I remember it being called the Scrumpy Rooms back in the day and also remember that name Jimmy Coyle . I lived just up the road from it at Dover St. and the bar at the corner of Dover St. and Falls Rd. called The Zodiac Bar which became The Arkell Inn and maybe another name which I cant recall now. It was burned down in the attacks of '69.