Author Topic: Should/could Belfast have it's own professional soccer team Gerry want's to know  (Read 6301 times)

James James

A little bit of demographics population statistics for you all.

Greater Belfast area, i.e the city and the surrounding areas,... a little over 610 thousand.

hungry homer

Yip, that's right. Fleetwood Town are doing great. Then again, per head of popn Lancashire has by far the biggest footballing crowds in the UK. It's also kinda handy for Fleetwood Town that all their fans can get to every game on a bus.

Nevermind Rab, you seem to be so blindsided by the idea of having international stars playing in the local league that you have lost sight of the simple logistics. I don't blame you. It's a fanciful notion.

A foretaste of the new Belfast FC programme might look like this:

Next up it's Hednesford Town away on Wednesday night. Where Hednesford Town is I haven't got a clue, but fans are advised to google it. It's in England, somewhere. Or maybe Wales. Fans are asked to form an orderly queue at Belfast City Airport. A bus can be arranged to travel however far it is to the ground. .please be patient, it's not the driver's fault. We are also hoping to be able to advise of local b&b's around Hednesford Town, but at the time of printing there is only a couple of rooms available above the Dog & Duck, on account of building work going on. Belfast FC are presently offering package deals on this game for £150, flights and accom inc. Please be quick as places are limited. Sean Paisley, Fan club President.

Here Sticky, you'll be giving a few of the DUP supporters on the board a heart attack picking that name!  Would he be Ian Og's son? :D

stickleback

A little bit of demographics population statistics for you all.

Greater Belfast area, i.e the city and the surrounding areas,... a little over 610 thousand.

The point of which is what exactly, James ?

RabRow

There's at least a couple of other towns in that area with football teams..Bolton and don't forget Accrington Stanley  :)

stickleback

There's at least a couple of other towns in that area with football teams..Bolton and don't forget Accrington Stanley  :)

MUFC
MCFC
Oldham Athletic
Accrington Stanley
Preston North End
Bury
Bolton Wanderers
Blackburn Rovers
Rochdale
Blackpool
Fleetwood Town

That's just the professional teams in Lancashire...

RabRow

As the saying goes where there's a will there's a way but there is no vision so we carry on with what we have. I think Accrington got the Stanley bit because they met in a bar called the Stanley Arms. Another club with humble beginnings.

jards

This is an absolute no-brainer NO.

The entire population of Belfast is no bigger than Manchester and the entire match-going public in N. Ireland could safely fit into one corner of Old Trafford. In fact, it wou. ldn't even fill a corner. That's before we even start talking costs. Or quality. Are there even any billionaires in Northern Ireland ? It not only takes funds, but a huge ego to run a professional football club because in most cases it is a loss-maker. The costs inherent in flying a club to every game with no derby matches to look forward to would be a deal-breaker even if N. Ireland had a competitive football league, which it doesn't, unless you mean amateur level. Look at Scotland. They have a professional league and most of the clubs are skint. It would certainly be a lot easier and make much more sense for Celtic or Rangers to join the English leagues, though they would both lose a fortune in doing so as neither would remotely have a chance of reaching The Champions League if they were up against the English clubs for qualification. For fans, football is about passion. They live in a dreamworld. But businesses don't function as dreams alone and you better believe that football is actually a business. You are right when you say that a professional Belfast club would have to start at the bottom rung of the ladder. How many people in Belfast are going to don their raincoats of a wet January evening and pay their hard earned to watch Belfast FC v Dulwich Hamlet ? Maybe a few hundred die-hards. I can't imagine too many from Belfast will be shelling out a couple of hundred quid to watch the return fixture.
totally agree with this
the away following would be dire
and as a business i dont see many investors as youd be throwing money away

gerry mcevoy

There is already a signififant irish population  already living in the uk and if marketed correctly they could be tapped into. Regardless, it is the home club who would benefit from the away support because they would receive the gate receipts.
Because the club would be starting at such a low level the start up costs would not be as high as some might think. The club would be able to grow and expand as it progresses.

chi

There is already a signififant irish population  already living in the uk and if marketed correctly they could be tapped into. Regardless, it is the home club who would benefit from the away support because they would receive the gate receipts.

Because the club would be starting at such a low level the start up costs would not be as high as some might think. The club would be able to grow and expand as it progresses.

sounds reasonable :)
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

gerry mcevoy

Salford city have progressed from the nwcfl (north) to the old division 4, in just 5 years.

Billy Fish

Salford city have progressed from the nwcfl (north) to the old division 4, in just 5 years.

One can work wonders, if there is money behind them. Look at Chelsea. Lol      :D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.