Author Topic: Harding Memorial Primary School  (Read 6769 times)

32willowfield

Harding Memorial Primary School
« on: January 05, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »
Anyone go to Harding in 1961 to 1967  and remember Mrs.Martin P1  and Mrs.Irwin P2 she was a BUlly.

fodger

Re: Harding Memorial Primary School
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 04:18:38 PM »

Yes I did. My name is Paul McCollam and I lived in Glendower Street, just off the Creagagh Road.. Remember Miss Irwin well... and frightened the life out of me.
A few other teachers name I remember are Miss Bell, Miss Taylor, and was the head called dick Taylor?
Sorry I cant seem to remember you.
Paul

32willowfield

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 01:07:39 AM »
Do you remember Mrs.martin she was great.  Do you remember the Christmas play??  I played the angel Gabriel lol. 

fodger

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 08:41:21 AM »
Yes I remember the school plays well, I was a wise man ( from the east).
Yes miss martin was a gentle soul from memory at least compared to miss matchett.she was a hard ticket.
Funny I was asked if I remembered two names from PS last night. Lynn Mason or Leslie McCready. Do you remember either of them.
What street did you live in.?

32willowfield

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 03:46:19 PM »
Lived in willowfield gardens across from the police station. No did you know Janice or Linda McCullough?  Or Fiona or Austin Tracey?

fodger

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 06:59:58 PM »
Yes I remember both Austin Tracey and Linda mccolough, Linda went to the same youth club as me and was the same year at school. Janice if I remember was a few years younger. The guys I remember well are graham love, brian cox Christine best, Tom Watson Trevor bell.  

calgarygirl

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 02:51:02 AM »
I went to Harding Memorial from 1954 and Mr. Taylor was the  Headmaster.  I had a teacher called Miss Murphy and she was very strict and I did not like her then one day I was at my Aunts house for lunch and she had 2 ladies who were her cousins (my aunt was married to my Dad's brother)  these 2 ladies started asking me how I liked school and then they asked did I know Miss Murphy before I got to answer my aunt said to me that they where Miss Murphy's Aunts so I never said anything to them.  When I went back to school that afternoon I said to Miss Murphy who I had met and when she realized who my Aunt was she treated me very well.  So I was over the moon and became her pet.  I lived in Cregagh Street and my name was Marie Wylie.  Now I am married with 3 children and 7 Grandchildren and I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with my husband John Coburn who came from Hillsborough we have been married for 45 years now and have been in Canada for 36 of them.

Teddyman

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »
Yes I remember both Austin Tracey and Linda mccolough, Linda went to the same youth club as me and was the same year at school. Janice if I remember was a few years younger. The guys I remember well are graham love, brian cox Christine best, Tom Watson Trevor bell.

jongee113

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »
I went to Harding from 1953-57 and moved on to Annadale grammar. My favourite teacher was Miss Bunting! She really pushed me to do well! Mr Ringland was another one I liked despite the fact he used the cane a lot.

JeremyH

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 03:08:32 PM »
I was in Harding from '62 - '69, after which I went to Grosvenor High School. I remember my teachers (P1 - P2) as Mrs Armstrong, Mrs Irwin, Miss(?) Matchett (not sure about the spelling), Miss (?) Murphy, Miss (?) Fryer (not sure about the spelling), P6 was a bit of a mix with a temporary teacher until after Christmas (Mr Partridge - an Englishman who had done National Service and been in Malaya or some other end-of-Empire hot-spot) followed by a Mr Wright, and lastly Mr Thompson in P7. The headmaster when I started was Dick Taylor (not that I was on first name terms with him), who was followed by a Mr Dawson.

I remember a few names of other pupils: Alan Woods, Alan MacQuarrie, Trevor (?) Hutchinson, Stuart Kelly, Gary Mason, Roy Webb, Ian Stewart, Trevor Polley, Trevor Bell, Christopher Funston, Peter (?) Nixon, Jim Hill, Rosemary Hay, Olive (something), Fiona (something), Heather Sharpe, (something) Duce (? - maybe Goose ?), Janice McCullough, Carol Mc/MacCormack, and Lynda Davies. I remember these as contemporaries of mine, but I could be mistaken, and the spellings, and even the names, could be wrong.

Other memories are of the collection bucket for the Aberfan disaster, carol services, queuing up in the playground, school dinners, the weather station (P6), first french lessons, rather elementary science lessons, the excursions to either Annalong or somewhere near Cushendall, and Friday play-time in P 1 - lots of fragments of that kind. I grew up on Roslyn Street. 

Henrylouri

Harding Memorial Primary School
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 06:26:23 PM »
Anyone remember the days at Mendi International Primary School - 1978.  Mr Ralph was the teacher for grades 3,4,5,6 and British Bulldog Red Rover was the favourite lunchtime game.

Brian Cox

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2022, 04:53:47 PM »
Miss Murphy or rather Ma Murphy as we knew her scared the daylights out of me. My P7 teacher was Miss EG Griffith's and she was brilliant. Her classroom was last on the left upstairs on the Ardenlee Avenue side. Miss Warnock was, IIRC, the teacher for the deaf children and had that special room by the veranda on the bottom by the side playground.
This thread certainly takes me back. Bout ye Paul!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy