Author Topic: A Bow Street Hero  (Read 5658 times)

Mageeka

A Bow Street Hero
« on: July 30, 2006, 11:57:04 PM »
Here is a true story told, by my Grandfathers two brothers and others , who served with the Irish Guards in WW1
Did all you guys and gals from Bow St realize that there was a true hero who lived in your St?
His name was Sam Mc Gonagle, ( or Mc Gonigle) brother of Hugh
Sam was a member of the Irish Guards in W.W.1 and you may have remembered him by the fact that he had only one leg. . A leg that he lost in W.W.1 1915
As a battle was raging in 1915, the Irish Guards were being cut to pieces by intense fire. Suddenly and insanely, the Germans were attacked by a group of Irish guardsmen Mick O’ Leary from Cork and Sam Mc Gonagle from Bow St. They defeated 2 German  machine gun bunkers, killing a total of nine enemy,  thus saving the day and most of the regiment. However Sam had half his leg shot off and the rest was amputated later.

Now the controversy begins
O’Leary was awarded the V.C for his actions and Sam received nothing
Yet according to many fellow Guardsmen’s letters and affidavits, Mc Gonagle was the guy who led the attack and swathed through the German lines. Well there was  a factor involved
 Lance Corporal O’Leary was a model, spit - shined and disciplined soldier, whilst Private Sam was far from that. Sam would have thought nothing of telling an officer to F.O and it was this factor, that became paramount as to whom would be the recipient.
At the time of WW2 there was a massive recruiting drive, in N.Ireland and to help with this the British Army decided to perform a re-enactment of “Mick O’Leary,” winning the
V.C
Thus enters Hugh Mc ( Sam’s Brother) who meets a British representative. Thereupon Hugh produced the letters and affidavits, threatening to publish them  in the Belfast Telegraph. Believe it or not the British Military cancelled the whole re-enactment.
So here we have a true hero, Sam Mc Gonagle from Bow Street who never received his dues.
Does anyone remember the family ?

Christopher

Re: A Bow Street Hero
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 02:03:58 AM »
Er Mageeka, who is this guy Michael O'Leary ? Is he related to Superman? How on earth did he manage to kill eight Germans and capture another two by himself on his own is beyond me. It reads like a story from the Boy's Own Paper. Sam McGonagle sounds like Colonel "Paddy" Blair Mayne. He was another guy who told officers to "pull up your knickers and get on your bike" He had no time for idiots, was a great soldier and regretably the powers that be who issue VCs also left him off the list. With due respect to the descendents of those who won VCs I feel some guys won them thanks to the heroism of a least one other brave soldier.
BTW Is it Bow Street, Belfast which ran between Cullingtree Road and Nail Street you mean ???

Mageeka

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 03:06:10 AM »
"BTW Is it Bow Street, Belfast which ran between Cullingtree Road and Nail Street you mean ? "

Yes Chris
That is the Street, rows of tiny houses full of good folk.

Mageeka

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 11:32:52 PM »
Ah
chris  Pray tell me why Col. Blaire Mayne deserves a V.C
Being an Officer he was already handed more than his dues, plus a monument
Like to hear your answer. ;D

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 10:55:28 PM »
Ah
chris  Pray tell me why Col. Blaire Mayne deserves a V.C
Being an Officer he was already handed more than his dues, plus a monument
Like to hear your answer. ;D

Men with more knowledge of military matters than my knowledge have discussed the question of whether Colonel "Paddy" Blair Mayne is worthy of being awarded a posthumous VC Mageeka. Being an officer and having a statue has nothing to do with whether he should be a VC. The French gave him a high honour. Colonel Paddy was a great soldier. As far as I am aware the guys who served with him had a great respect for him. It is just as well WWII was fought when it was. If it was being fought today the PC brigade would be wringing their hands when reading their papers and would be complaining about Colonel Paddy's rough treatment of the Germans :D

Mageeka

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 12:26:11 AM »
Chris
Without going into his personal details
Were ther any other alleged, personal problems with Blaire Mayne. Again a yes or no would suffice on this , as I think there there may be similarities between Mc Gonagle and Paddy Mayne, that have not been discussed. ?

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 12:36:16 AM »
Chris
Without going into his personal details
Were ther any other alleged, personal problems with Blaire Mayne. Again a yes or no would suffice on this , as I think there there may be similarities between Mc Gonagle and Paddy Mayne, that have not been discussed. ?

How the heck would I know Mageeka ??? >:( The personal problems of both the guys you mention are irrelevant >:( I'm quite certain the members of the panels that refused to award these brave guys the VC also had a great many personal problems too >:( No one has been asking about their problems. Is the source on which you base your conclusions and makes you think such thoughts a reliable one? Most guys who are VC material do things on the spur of the moment. It must be difficult to keep cool, calm and collected in the heat of a battle. They too may well have had personal problems but as far as I know no one queried them. 

Mageeka

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 12:47:36 AM »
Hey Chris, "let the hare sit for a minute."
unfortunately they were, a do what I say not and as I do  judgemental groups and the whole caliber of the characters are oftimes a bigger consideration than the honor. Take for example Ira Hayes U.S Marines.  There were those after WW2 that pushed to have his medal of honor rescinded. I agree problems should have no bearing, but in reality they always do, in the military, or out of it.
I dont agree with it, but the fact certaqinly remains that it exists

manny

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:18:26 AM »
in answer to your ? i lived in bow street 35  inew sam and i also new the story which   was true .most of the older people in the street new all about sam  he lived next 2 the heaneys.who lf still alive now live in bow row ? next 2 st peters .i went 2 st brendans  in milford street.i would like to hear from others who went there  manny magee

Mageeka

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 07:02:25 AM »
Thanks for that one Manny
He was a great guy
Sam Mc gonagle is related to me through marriage.

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 12:41:39 AM »
Ah Christopher wait a wee minuet. That guy Michael O' Leary that you gave the hi sigh for the site. I checked it out. He did indeed kill 8 Germans at two different times. Five were killed and then three. .read it. I guess you must have overlooked it, easy enough to do. Slaite, Kathleen
PS Just started to read the book "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman....I know I should have read it a long time ago. However if you have never gotten around to it, you should give it a try.

Mageeka

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 12:56:09 AM »
Able Seaman Patrick Mc Stravick
Manny this is a full cousun of mine that was in WW2
He was from Lady St in Belfast and went down with HMS Repulse, when it was bombed,  and torpedoedby a Japanese torpedo  I
Ironically his father Harry. lost a leg in WW1 serving with the Royal Horse Artillery
Lady St for its size, lost a lot of folk in WW1 and WW2
I think Lady St was about the same size as Bow St

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 01:20:19 AM »
Ye know Mageeka I know how ye feel. But ye see my granda could beat them all in Lady St., and Bow St., Sure he came back from the front. .three fronts for the sake of truth.....with not a scratch on him. Well maybe the tatoos that he had on his arms etc. There was only one Paddy Beattie and that's all it tuck!!!! ::)  So there ye go boys, Gilford St., bates them all.Slan Kathleen

Mageeka

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 01:43:29 AM »
Kathleen
What regiment was your granfather in ?

Kathleen

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 01:52:10 AM »
Ah Mageeka, looks like yer moving in for the kill. My granda was the the Inniskilling Fusiliers. He fought in India, Boer War and Great WAr. I think he was on the ambulances during that war. I have all his papers from all the times he was overseas. Fasinating stuff!!!! Kathleen