Author Topic: A Bow Street Hero  (Read 5659 times)

Mageeka

Re: A Bow Street Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 02:02:19 AM »
Kathleen
Strangely enough my brother in laws father was also in the Inniskilling Fusiliers in the Boer war and 1st world war 
Guess where he was from

BOW Street.   How it keeps coming up

My Dad was in three different regiments  The Connaught Rangers, The Royal Irish Rifles and the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and then into the ROI army.

Kathleen

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 06:26:59 AM »
Terry, where did he fight in South Africa? My granda fought at the relief of Ladysmith and Tulega. He later lived in South Africa.....in the Armly of course, my granny was with him for a while, but came home later. She complained that he had too many parties in the house!!! I the Great War funny enough I think he was sent to the Balkans, maybe in Dardinelles but he didn't fight in France that I know. Didn't you say once that your Granda was also in Peshwaer at the border of Afganistan. Funny they are still fighting over there. Kathleen

Mageeka

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 02:29:14 PM »
Kathleen
That was my Dad who was in Peshwar and India and Turkey.  He was 13 or 14 when he joined up
 My Grandad on my Mums side was at the Somme
I bet my Dad knew your Grandad, because my Dad lived for more than a few years in Alexander St West, after he wed As I am sure you know Guildford St was but a KITA from Alexander St west.
As a matter of fact ,5 of my siblings were born there. in Alexander St
Can you remember a man called Andy Mc Gaughey who was the Sexton in St Peters>

Mageeka

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 06:55:02 PM »
Kath;een
It was my brother in-aw father who was in the Inniskillings and in the Boer war
I will try to find out where in South Africa he fought
BTW I have another Great Uncle who sied with a General Gordon, at Khartoum

Kathleen

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 01:20:02 AM »
Terry, just rereading some of the letters. Sure my Aunt Josephine and Granny used to mention Andy Mc Gaughey all the time. Is that name pronounced Mc Gagee at home???? That's the way they used to say it. Is or was there a Gerald Mc Gaughey in the family. My Aunt Josie and he used to "have a notion of each other" as she would say. Let me know. Slan, Kathleen

Mageeka

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 05:58:51 AM »
The way you pronounced is correct.
Now there was Andy senior and Andy Junior
My Dad taught Andy JR music and was paid with "Altar wine," on a few occasions

Mageeka

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 11:56:59 AM »
Kate
I will try to finf out if there was a Gerald

Kathleen

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 12:52:30 AM »
Now Terry this goes way back, the Andy Mc Gaghee thing!!!! But she remembered him to her dying day. Must have made quite a impression on her. ::) I know he didn't come from Gilford St., as he was one of the wee boys who hung around from other streets. Lord, our family were quite the story tellers, I know people from in and around the "lower Falls" who were dead even before I was born!!! When I tell stories here one of my daughter in laws was commenting on it. When I said that our family told so many stories she said. "that's because that is ALL they brought over with themselves to America" .well said, was what I commented. :'( Slaite, Kathleen

Mageeka

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 09:26:28 PM »
Kathleen
The Mc Gaghees lived in a little house attached to St Peters. It was situated at the corner of Dysart St and Alexander St West.  This wee spot was commonly known as "The Jacks"
The reason for this name was that little white stones lay around the entrance to that house. The kids in the area, used to gather those stones, for usage in a kids game called "Jacks"

brian

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 10:12:40 PM »
I take it that you are all talking about McCaighy's? I ownder are they connected to my ones from 106 Raglan Street?

Mageeka

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 11:18:19 PM »
Dont know Bri but I will try and get info from my sis

brian

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 08:12:26 PM »
From the Irish News, Feb 19 1915:

Lieutenant's Gallant Death:
Private James Fox, of the 2nd Batt. Royal Irish Rifles, who resides at 13 Bow Street, Belfast, and has been twice wounded, told of the gallant death of Lieut. Guinness, of the Rifles. Whilst bravely leading a bayonet charge, he was shot through the throat. The battalion rushed on but were forced back, and as he ( Private Fox) was passing Lieutenant Guinness, who was lying mortally wounded, he heard him exclaim, " God have mercy on my soul".
GRUESOME DISCOVERY: One day a number of the Rifles were passing a house when they noticed blood trickling down the front steps. On going inside, they found an old man of about seventy lying on the floor with his throat cut from ear to ear. In another room was his wife, about the same age, sitting in front of the fire with both her eyes hanging out. This village had just previously been evacuated by the Germans. Private Fox also narrates another case of German barbarity which he personally witnessed. The Rifles entered a village from which they had driven the enemy, and suspended by a rope from the upper window of a house was the dead body of a four-year-old child."

brian

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2006, 08:15:57 PM »
I am also searching for information on Timothy Dougherty from Cairns street, who served with the Royal Irish Rifles, 2nd Batt, and died of war wounds in May 1918. This Dougherty/ Doherty family originated from Tipperary.
I know its a long shot, but does anyone with ancestors in the 2nd Batt RIR, have any records which might contain info. about Tim Dougherty??

eddiec

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2006, 10:07:12 PM »
Brian

Have you tried the Great War Forum http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/

I got a very good response some time ago when I made a few enquires there myself
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>