Author Topic: Belfast boxers  (Read 441425 times)

Mageeka

Belfast boxers
« on: February 01, 2006, 03:15:15 AM »
Anyone know of any of the famous boxers from Belfast
I know just a few
Freddie Gilroy, John Caldwell, James Carson, Rinty Monaghan.
Seemingly some of these guys were champions and may be dead already RIP

arkie

Re: Belfast boxers
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 08:22:47 PM »
RINTY AND JIMMY CARSON, ARE NO LONGER WITH US. FREDDIE GILROY, JOHN CALDWELL ARE STILL ON THE SCENE.JOHN IS NOT TOO WELL. FREDDIE STILL HASNT HAD HIS LONDSDALE BELT RETURNED TO HIM IT WAS STOLEN.  A BOXER NAMED ALPHONSE HALIMI. FOUGHT AND BEAT(THOUGH I DIDNT AGREE WITH THE VERDICT) FREDDIE GILROY FOR THE WORLD BANTAMWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP AT WEMBLEY.  JIMMY CARSON  GAVE HIM(HALIMI)A BOXING LESSON NON TITLE BOUT. THEN JOHN CALDWELL TOOK THE TITLE OF HIM. THEN THERE WAS BAP JORDAN,  SPIDER KELLY    NO RELATION TO PETER. PADDY GRAHAM WHO TRAINED IN ST. GEORGES. I KNEW A YOUNG LAD WHO TRAINED THERE EVERY SUNDAY, BUT WHEN PADDY CAME IN HE HAD TO GO OUT. PADDY HAD TO HAVE THE GYM. ALL TO HIMSELF. HUGH RUSSEL,   PADDY MC CANN, THE TURKINGTON BROS.  PETER SHARPE,BUNTY DORAN,   PETER LAVERY,   CHARLIE NASH,  JOHN KELLY,  JOHN MC NALLY.  ILL STOP HERE RUNNING OUT OF ROOM HOPE THIS HELPED MAGEEKA. DING DING.

Mageeka

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 04:57:48 PM »
As they say at home
"Thats dead on!"

arkie

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 09:04:08 PM »
WHAT ABOUT, STICKIN OUT.

williefromrichmond

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 01:58:20 PM »
I would like to compile a list of every amateur contest of John Caldwell. Does anyone know who might be able to help? Thanks. Bill

arkie

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 07:37:47 PM »
WILLIE, WHY DONT YOU GET IN TOUCH WITH JOHNNY HIMSELF. IM SURE HE WOULD BE TO GLAD TO HELP YOU, OR ELSE GET IN TOUCH WITH NUGGET NUGENT . HE LOOKS AFTER THE BOXERS IN THE IMMACULATTA. THATS WERE JOHNNY WAS BASED AS AN AMATUER.

Mageeka

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 12:18:23 AM »
Didnt know Arkie, that Nugget was still alive.

Mageeka

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 12:24:04 AM »
Anybody remember old Arthur Anderson from the Crown Boxing club plus Adam and Jim Mc Clean from the same. ?

williefromrichmond

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 01:13:53 AM »
Thanks, Arkie. Do you have an e-mail address for John Caldwell, or better still, an e-mail address for the Immaculata BC? If he is not well, I probably should inquire through the club instead of disturbing him personally. Best, Bill

williefromrichmond

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 04:24:06 AM »
Hi, Arkie. If you see either Johnny or Nugget Nugent and they have any information at hand on his amateur career, could you please encourage them or anyone else who might have information to send it to me at: [email protected]

arkie

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 02:48:48 PM »
WILLIE I SEE NUGENT REGULARLY, ILL ASK HIM FOR SOME DATA. BY THE WAY IS THAT A U S A E MAIL ADDRESS?

Mageeka

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 06:53:41 PM »
What about Drew Mc Cormack ( Ex Mac) Arkie , has he retired?
Also what is Jim Mc Court doing now
He was a great amatuer, but I dont know what club he fought for

williefromrichmond

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 09:35:43 PM »
Yes, Arkie. I live in the States. I remember the 1950's when Caldwell, Gilroy, Tony Byrne, Milligan, Teidt, Perry, and a flood of other Irish amateurs were among the best in the world. Willie

Mageeka

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 09:45:41 PM »
Willie
You forgot the great John Mc Nally and Jim and John Jordan
BTW I too have been over here in the States, since 74.

arkie

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 11:22:07 PM »
YES MAGEEKA, JIM WAS A BRILLIANT AMATUER. HE NOW RUNS HIS OWN JOINERY BUSINESS. JOHN MC NALLY A VERY GOOD AMATUER. BUT AS A PRO, HE HADNT THE HEART. P S.   JIM FOUGHT OUT OF THE MAC.                WILLIE ALL THOSE NAMES YOU MENTIONED, YOU MUST HAVE BEEN A RAB MAGUIRE (BARBER)REGULAR. I HAD A GOOD FRIEND CALLED TERRY, HE WAS ONE .  BOY HE HAD A GREAT HEAD OF HAIR  HENCE THE OLD SAYING HAIR TODAY GONE TOMORROW. HE HAS A COMB WITH JUST THE TWO TEETH IN IT,  AH WELL.