Author Topic: Belfast boxers  (Read 470532 times)

Dub

Re: Belfast boxers
« Reply #2310 on: February 05, 2020, 02:23:14 PM »
I remember as a young lad with the Hollerith club when we trained for a while in a small  club  off the Queen Street area , Garnet also trained there.  Jimmy Henry and his younger brother was also there with us then. At that time Hollerith tended to move training premises quite often,  It was around the 1957/58.
                                                                                                                                                              All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers,you are not informed.
When you do read the papers, you are misinformed.  ( Mark Twain. )

susieB

« Reply #2311 on: February 17, 2020, 10:34:31 PM »
apologies if im wrong but that doesnt look like Rinty Monaghan to me

Bread Basket

« Reply #2312 on: February 17, 2020, 10:41:59 PM »
apologies if im wrong but that doesnt look like Rinty Monaghan to me
No need for apologies Susie, iím The one who should be apologising, you are correct, that is not Rinty... look at the right ear of the guy, Rintyís ear was not like that.... I better do some homework.
🥊🥊🥊

susieB

« Reply #2313 on: February 17, 2020, 11:05:31 PM »
Homework memories lol I looked for your photo and found it on Boxrec and it said it was Rinty I think I know the face but just cant put a name to it looking forward to you finding out cheers

stickleback

« Reply #2314 on: February 24, 2020, 12:49:40 AM »

I bought a book called Yesterdays Glovemen, about the old boxing scene in Belfast, thanks to this thread.

I bought it on Amazon for £4.99.

It's lucky for the seller that I never bother leaving reviews because it arrived without a cover. Luckily for him, I don't pay much attention to covers. Looks good, I'll read it some time during the week.

Bread Basket

« Reply #2315 on: February 25, 2020, 12:58:16 PM »

I bought a book called Yesterdays Glovemen, about the old boxing scene in Belfast, thanks to this thread.

I bought it on Amazon for £4.99.

It's lucky for the seller that I never bother leaving reviews because it arrived without a cover. Luckily for him, I don't pay much attention to covers. Looks good, I'll read it some time during the week.

Yep stickleback, it is a good book, enjoy

tonya meli

« Reply #2316 on: June 09, 2020, 12:00:38 AM »
bee gee did you know gerrys oldest brother tom meli was a top boxer in belfast in the early 50s,middleweight I think. and Albert meli was a top swimmer I think he may have went to the commonwealth games.

Hi I think I am replying about 14 years later but yes Gerry's oldest brother Thomas Meli was a great boxer. And his brother Albert Meli swam for Ireland in the 1958 Commonwealth Games in Cardiff and also was in the Irish Olympic Team (but didn't make it to the Olympics in the end).