Author Topic: Belfast boxers  (Read 452908 times)

Christopher

Re: Belfast boxers
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 02:55:33 PM »
Ah this may be the thread where I may get some information about seven brothers called the Fighting Magills. They were Co. Antrim men, all in the RIC.
I imagine they were around from the mid 1800s to 1922 when the RIC became the RUC so obviously were boxing before anyone of us was born.

I posted on a genealogy site and the information I received really annoyed me. Links to boxers OK but much of it was American based. I'm looking for ordinary lads who boxed in the north of Ireland. They would have been known locally but not much further afield. I understand from a descendent who was born in the Larne area but now lives in East Belfast that their boxing achievements may be recorded in the RUC (PSNI now) museum.   

beegee

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 08:17:13 PM »
Christopher
                      When I was a wee fella back in the 30s there was a boxer, professioal, Dave Magill who was a policeman in the R U C  He became the Irish Champion   I beleive he had other brothers   Joe and Jimmy who fought as amatuers and won british Amatuer titles in their weights, ... there could have beem more brothers

Christopher

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2006, 08:53:29 PM »
Not one, not two but three Magills ..just like that .. well done beegee. This Belfast site appears to be much better for local information than the genealogical site where I posted my original message. If these Magills are the same family then Dave must be the baby of the family. I have a book here of all the men who were in the RIC. There's only one David. He joined the force between 1912 and 1917

joskillen

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2006, 09:57:27 PM »
Ach sure you guys they weren't even fights .What about the guys who fought until somebody didn't get up ,For a few quid as well . The spectators made bets and the fighter who won got the money. I remember Bucket's
Megaghey from around Saunder St on the Newtownards Rd. They just picked a sparefield and got at it. Buckets didn't fare too well he didn't know when he had. had enough.As my mother would say "He had a face like a well skelped [censored]." That's how he fed his kids. I went to school with his daughter ,and believe me ye never made any wise cracks about how her da looked  .She would have made champ outa ye.

beegee

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2006, 10:30:57 PM »
I had the pleasure of catching rivets in the "wee" yard to Buckets" the heater boy". I hated lunch time with him-he took the whole half hour to tell a story that the average guy could tell in 5 minutes-the poor guy was so punch drunk. but over and above that he was well respected

ulsterstan

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2006, 03:20:25 AM »
When I worked in the Co-oP in Templemore Ave  I used to travel around the area getting folks messages  to be delivered to them and I went  to Garnett Dennys house  ,real nice guy  but can't remember how he fought  but I remember quite a few of the Belfast boxers of the 50's. Also went to some of the wee Glentoran players houses.
Stan Sloan.

Christopher

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2006, 03:35:19 AM »
Hiya, I wonder if any one remembers the name  Captain T. D. Morrison who was the Chief Constable of the RUC and also Vice President of the Irish Amateur Boxing Association. When I was at Rockport Preparatory School, Craigavad (1948-52) two of his sons, Darryl and Tony, were pupils at the school.

naumai

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2006, 08:52:19 AM »
bee gee did you know gerrys oldest brother tom meli was a top boxer in belfast in the early 50s,middleweight I think. and Albert meli was a top swimmer I think he may have went to the commonwealth games.

beegee

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2006, 11:57:07 AM »
thanks for that info  naumai  i did hear  tell of a meli in the fifties -i have been here since 1950 and have been outta touch! gerry never mentioned about any of his brothers          but i will drag some news out of him when i see him next! erry was a great mate of a late brother of mine . Hughie and they were shipmates a lot.

Christopher

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2006, 06:52:58 PM »
Hiya folks, those of you who know some of Belfast's boxers will be interested to hear about the opening night at the Docker's Club new gym at their premises in Pilot Street. David Kelly, the Newsletter Boxing correspondent, reported that the opening ceremony was performed by none other than the former World Heavyweight Chmpion Frank Bruno who did his best to speak in an Irish accent. Frank was invited to Belfast by the club coach Paddy Fitzsimmons with assistance from Repton ABC. There was a good attendance at the event .. including boxers Dave McAuley and Jim Rock, as well as promoter Mike Callahan and coaches John Breen and Michael Hawkins.

beegee

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2006, 09:00:55 PM »
and just for the record----------the Dockers Club has raised over 2millions pounds for various charities!   Well done Sailortown!

Mageeka

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2006, 02:52:02 AM »
Beegee
The magills you mentioned earlier
Do you know if they ever opened a public house ?

beegee

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2006, 05:17:44 AM »
mageeka--cant answer you on that one!         I know that the great outside left for  Celtic and iN Ireland ,   Bertie Peacock, had a pub in Coleraine! One of nature's gentlemen! I was home one trip       went to see a friend in Coleraine for the weekend -met the man himself in his pub there....finished up in his home for  a while-then in the directors box to see Coleraine play the Crues!

Christopher

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2006, 05:39:24 AM »
Was there a boxing promoter with the surname Connell?
He was a smallish man. I think he lived in Holywood.

Mageeka

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »
Dont know him Chris
I used to box for the Crown boxing club, with Adam and Jim Mc Clean, under the guidance of Arthur Anderson.
Do you know anything about Arthur ?