Author Topic: Belfast-Italian families  (Read 984 times)

jcrangle13

Belfast-Italian families
« on: February 09, 2017, 03:11:15 PM »
Hello,

My name is Jack and I am a PhD student at QUB. I am currently working on a project which looks at the history of the Italian community in Belfast/NI. As part of my work I am really interested in talking to people with Italian heritage living in Northern Ireland (including first, second and third generation). I am interested in people connected to the initial wave of Italians who moved here around 100 years ago. I was wondering whether anyone on here has a connection with the Italian community and would be interested in sharing their family stories & memories with me. If so, I would be delighted to hear from you - just send me a message.
Similarly, if anybody knows how I might be able to get in touch with any interested people then please drop me a line. Any help much appreciated.  :)

Cheers,
Jack

brendariani

Re: Belfast-Italian families
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »
My  Great grandfather came over in 1897 from Tuscany,  Italy. He was only 16yrs old at the time and came over on his own. My Grandfather was born in Great Patrick Street "Little Italy" in 1910. I'm not sure if I can help.much though. He wasn't one of the familiar names that went on to open their own restuarants and cafes.

brendariani

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »
They were flower sellers at Belfast City Hall who presented members of the royal family with bouquets regularly.

bjay

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 03:13:29 PM »
There is a thread on the Forum Belfast's Italian Surnames which you may find interesting.

jcrangle13

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »
Hi Brenda,

Do you have any family members who might have memories of your great grandfather? It would be great to find out more!

brendariani

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 02:01:09 PM »
I will ask my Mum. What do you need to know?

jcrangle13

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 03:48:43 PM »
I've sent you a message! :)

Jack Casement

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 09:37:07 PM »
There were two ice cream parlours on the Newtownards Road caller Fusco and Desano.  This would have been in the Fifties.  Great ice cream

doare.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 08:49:18 AM »
there are 2 giant wall paintings in st marys rc church, one on each side of the altar, I believe they were done by Italian artist, I remebr the priest talk about this heritage left by immigrants, I know very little about these people, what I remember however accurate it may be is the came here during the garibaldi revolution to escape persecution...the falls rd had lots of these immigrants also, close to my area in divis st was angelones ice cream shop,raffos across the rd was headed by guiseppi (joe) was a strong character, then there was sylvestri up the street a block or 2...
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

Luparibigger

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
Did u ever complete the work? I come from lupari family which were based in little italy, terrazo worker. I would love to find out more or see if you could help me trace my roots