Author Topic: Would anyone like to help me solve a 72-year-old mystery?  (Read 5335 times)

James James

Re: Would anyone like to help me solve a 72-year-old mystery?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »
BTW, you've probably seen this vid and the 2010 apology from the British and Australian PMs which are mentioned in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGEglkfjD9c

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8531664.stm

Beezy

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 09:17:28 PM »
Thanks yet again James, your help on this is very much appreciated. It seems I was walking up and down past the site of the chip shop and the fire station while I was posting my flyers yesterday, totally oblivious to the location's significance! I went back to Ardoyne today and managed to speak to someone who should be able to find out if the Angela who worked in the chip shop is the Angela I'm looking for. I doubt it, but the person in question may be able to tell me if the McCanns had any Fermanagh connections.

The newspaper article you linked to is an ad for a Joseph Madill's butcher's at 483 Crumlin Road - the OCR software must have misread the number as 453.

Yes, I've seen the apology about the Child Migrants Scheme but I'm sure other readers will find that link interesting. The Historical Institutional Abuse Inquiry recently reported the results of their investigations into widespread abuse in children's homes too:
[size=78%]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38685157[/size]

James James

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:49 AM »
That child migration scheme, and those apologies open up the possibility, of providing a means by which you might possibly be able to access a picture of her, and possibly also a Belfast address for her, via a bit of official assistance.

I've also got an idea about a possibility by which you might be able to get some American records for her, in the likely event that she was the woman who went to America in 1948, and again that would need some official assistance, and there is a possible means by which you might possibly be given such assistance.

I'll talk to you about that stuff later.

BTW, if you haven't already talked to them, did you notice Fusco's, because they were already there at 477 Crumlin Road in 1960  and in 1943 as Fusco, Mrs. S., supper saloon.

James James

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 09:13:40 AM »
Doubtless though you've seen this post on the 2009 Crumlin Road Cafe topic thread, and it does look as if those were probably two different people both of whom had the same surname and at least one forename of Angela, nevertheless though, it isn't impossible that they were related.
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17144.msg473546.html#msg473546

Beezy

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 09:28:51 AM »
That's a good idea James, I'll pop in to Fusco's today and see if anyone working there can help. I did see that other post on the 2009 thread and I'm hoping that this new contact will be able to shed some light on that connection today.

Patrick has had a lot of assistance from the Child Migrants Trust, the charity which helps to reunite the orphans with their families, over the years. They have explored a lot of leads both in Ireland and America, and they're still working on the case. I'd be very interested to hear any new ideas you have about the American side of things though.

I would love to get in touch with anyone in their 80s or 90s who lived in Ardoyne or on the Crumlin Road itself during the 1940s, to see if they remember Angela or any McCanns/McGowans living in the area who had Fermanagh connections (McGowan was Angela's mother's maiden name, so that's another surname I'm interested in). I wonder if it might be worth starting a new thread about that, although I don't want to complicate things either by breaking up the search.

Beezy

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 10:25:29 PM »
Can anyone identify the woman on the top right of this photo?
http://i.imgur.com/r4GdGxl.jpg 

I found it on another thread discussing the Duke of Argyll ferry which used to sail from Belfast to Heysham:
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=21291.0

The person who posted the photo identifies her as Angela but doesn't provide a surname. I have sent a personal message to grey ghost and am awaiting a response but wondered if anyone else might be able to help in the meantime.

Beezy

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 08:04:47 AM »
OK, I have a new theory about where Angela stayed during her time in Belfast so I thought I'd post about it and see if anyone can help, despite realising that I am probably melting people's heads with these constant updates…

When Angela went to Dublin to have Patrick, she stayed at the Regina Coeli Hostel run by the Legion of Mary. She was admitted there in December 1944, and left in April 1945 after giving birth to Patrick.

I am now investigating the possibility that she was put in contact with the Legion of Mary in Belfast and went to stay at one of their premises somewhere around the Crumlin Road. This would seem to make more sense than her going to stay with family, since I am not aware of any of the extended family living in Belfast during this time.

From doing a bit of digging on this forum, I gather that there were a number of homes for unmarried mothers in North Belfast: the Mater Dei hostel at 298 Antrim Road, and Thorndale House on Duncairn Avenue. I have sent an email to the Salvation Army to see if they can help me to work out whether Angela ever stayed at Thorndale House, and I am going to contact Depaul who seem to have taken over the premises where the Mater Dei was located. I was just wondering if anyone has had any success in tracing relatives who stayed at either of these hostels in the 40s or 50s?

I have also found references to Ballysillan Boy's Home on the Crumlin Road, and I am wondering if Patrick might have been temporarily admitted there while Angela stayed somewhere nearby.

Can anyone think of any other hostels for unmarried mothers where Angela might have stayed around the Crumlin Road area?

James James

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 03:01:46 AM »
Mater Dei Hostel at 298 Antrim Road,... taken over by the Catholic Family Care Society (NI), which is now the Family Care Society (NI), 7 Malone Avenue, Belfast, County Antrim, BT9 6EQ

They have index cards for the Mater Dei Hostel from 1940-1980.

They were formed by the amalgamation of the Catholic Family Welfare Adoption Society and Sisters of Nazareth Adoption Society.

They also have  records available for earlier organisations as well as a number of homes...

St Joseph's Baby Home, Ravenhill Road
Nazareth House, Bishop Street
St Mura's Nursery, Fahan
Marianville Mother and Baby Home, Ormeau Road
Marianville Mother and Baby Home, Newry
De La Salle Children's Home, Kircubbin
Nazareth House, Portadown
Nazareth Lodge, Belfast
Nazareth House, Ravenhill Road

http://familycaresociety.co.uk/contact-us/

[email protected]

James James

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 03:11:12 AM »
Thorndale House is now,Thorndale Family Centre, Duncairn Avenue
http://www.familysupportni.gov.uk/contact-us/

Beezy

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »
James, you are an absolute star, thanks for that! I have emailed the Family Care Society and Thorndale Family Centre and am awaiting replies, so fingers crossed…

Creganm

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2017, 09:31:29 PM »
I have been in touch with Sharon Regan via ancestry.com who is also looking for Angela Dolan. Angela's father William would have been a first cousin of my Granny. My granny died in 1988 aged 98 so I don't know Angela or any of her siblings or nieces / nephews. I did turn up William's obituary from 1961 where Angela is mentioned..and in 1986 Angela's brother Richard's obituary where the only sibling mentioned is Violet McCann. I am hoping to find a death Notice for her mother and other siblings to see if there is any mention of Angela. Because I am on an iPad I can't attach photo to this site but if you check Ancestry.co.uk Sherry Connolly Dolan Maguire tree you will see the newspaper articles. Mary

Beezy

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
Hi Creganm, thanks so much for that useful info! Patrick's wife, Jan, told me you had been in touch with Sharon and she passed on the newspaper article you shared with her. It's nice to get a chance to speak to you directly and thank you for all you've found already. It's interesting that Angela doesn't appear to have been married at the time of her father's death in 1961. I always wondered if she went to her parents' funerals, because if she did, then someone around Belleek should remember her being there. I'm Violet's granddaughter by the way, so Angela was my great-aunt. Here's hoping that further mention of Angela will turn up in the other obituaries.

enasmyth

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 07:54:05 PM »
It's been a long time since I've got back on to the site but I knew a girl called Olive Dolan lived in Estorial park but havnt seen her since the 70s. She was an only child and her dad was never mentioned. Well you never asked questions in those days as you assumed the dad died in the war. Don't know if that helps but yes Angela was a MC Cannot and one of the readers said Freddie MC Canned chippie but in fact it was Freddie Fuscos chippie which was below the Forum Picture house whereas MC Canned was above the forum. Hope you get a good result best wishes

Beezy

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »
Thanks enasmyth, that's helpful to know.

I'm now looking into the possibility that Angela worked on the Duke of Argyll ferry and I'm keen to speak to anyone who worked on the ferries back in the 50s or 60s. I'm going to post a separate thread on this issue to try to reach the relevant people but will update this one I find out any more information.