Author Topic: Would anyone like to help an orphan find out happened to his mother?  (Read 2744 times)

Beezy

I have another thread over on the 'Looking for old friends or family' board about this topic, but I am posting here in the hope of reaching more people. You can read the original thread here:
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,68383.0.html

I have spent the last three years searching for my great-aunt, Angela Dolan, who was born in Fermanagh on 5 June 1918 and disappeared into thin air in 1948.

Angela (full name Mary Angela) had a son called Patrick in 1945, and after leaving Fermanagh, she came to Belfast and had him fostered by a woman called Minnie Larkin who lived in Whitehouse. Minnie's maiden name was McAuley and she came originally from Ardoyne. It is not known whereabouts Angela lived during this time, but I suspect she stayed with friends or relatives somewhere around the Crumlin Road/Ardoyne area because on Patrick's birth certificate she gave her address as 'Crumlin Road' (no house number). There is a story in Fermanagh about a local man who visited Belfast for the day being served tea by Angela in a cafe somewhere, and when he asked if she was a Dolan, she turned and walked out the back of the cafe and never came back, as though she didn't want to be recognised. This leads me to believe she may have worked in a cafe, pub or restaurant.

Minnie Larkin looked after Patrick until 1948, when Angela placed him in Nazareth Lodge orphanage. That is the last we know of Angela's whereabouts. Patrick was later sent to Australia as a child migrant and has grown up never knowing what happened to his mother. Despite extensive searching on the part of the Child Migrants Trust, no records have been found of her in the UK, Ireland or the US. You can read the full story of the search on my other thread.

Having exhausted all official sources, I am now simply trying to reach as many people as possible in the hope that someone might know what happened to Angela. Patrick has never even seen a photograph of his mother, so the slightest detail would be of value to him.

If you would like to assist Patrick in the search for Angela, you can help by downloading a poster appealing for information about her and displaying it anywhere you can or sharing it on your Facebook page. You can also help by asking any friends or relatives who lived in North Belfast during the 1940s if they remember Angela or anyone with a surname connected to her extended family. These surnames are Dolan, McCann, McGowan and McGee. Here is a link to the poster:
http://i.imgur.com/8p9DIt1.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thanks to anyone who is kind enough to want to help!

James James

Re: Would anyone like to help an orphan find out happened to his mother?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 04:16:19 AM »
The poster can be downloaded by right clicking on it.

Beezy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:44:24 AM »
Thanks James.  :)

Roller skates

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 10:49:49 PM »
Beezy

Will post on FB.   Good luck.

A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction!!

Beezy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 06:49:48 AM »
Thanks Roller skates!

Dargan

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »
Regarding the lady "Larkin" from Whitehouse: if you can find Clifford Ward who lives somewhere about the Saintfield Road area of Belfast, he may be able to shed light on her identity. I'm sorry I can't be more specific about Mr. Ward, a second cousin of mine was friendly with him for years but she has since died so I can't find out his precise location. He was a builder in the Greencastle/Whitehouse area for years and his deceased sister was something of local legend and very well known and regarded in that area. Good luck.

Regards,

Dargan
Bill Clinton says he prayed for guidance in the Whitehouse and that God told him to bomb Serbia. Oh Goody, Sir Fred's back!

Beezy

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 09:49:39 PM »
Thanks Dargan, I will certainly try to track Clifford down.

mbe01

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 02:59:16 AM »
dargan - re clifford ward, was his sister rita ward ??

Dargan

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 06:53:57 AM »
Yes, the inimitable Rita, someone to look up to.  ...Beezy, sorry I got that wrong it is actually Neil Ward who may be able to help you. I have also asked a senior lady in the Greencastle area if she can throw any light on Minnie Larkin. Will let you know if I find anything out that could be of help. regards.
Bill Clinton says he prayed for guidance in the Whitehouse and that God told him to bomb Serbia. Oh Goody, Sir Fred's back!

Beezy

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 07:20:39 AM »
Great Dargan, thanks! It would be a great help to find out exactly where Minnie or her family lived in Ardoyne, because I suspect that's how her connection with Angela came about and it might help me to focus the search on a particular street. Will have a go at finding Neil Ward today and keep you posted.

Beezy

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 07:25:52 AM »
By the way, can anyone identify the woman on the top right of this photo?

[size=78%]http://i.imgur.com/r4GdGxl.jpg[/size]

I found it on another thread discussing the Duke of Argyll ferry which used to sail from Belfast to Heysham:
[size=78%]http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=21291.0[/size]

The person who posted the photo identified the woman as Angela but didn't provide a surname. I have sent her a personal message to see if she can give me any further details, but in the meantime I wondered if anyone else could help me identify this woman.

James James

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »
Yes, the inimitable Rita, someone to look up to.  ...Beezy, sorry I got that wrong it is actually Neil Ward who may be able to help you. I have also asked a senior lady in the Greencastle area if she can throw any light on Minnie Larkin. Will let you know if I find anything out that could be of help. regards.

This is a 2011 message thread to which Dargan posted and which mentioned Rita Ward.
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,35417.msg960033.html#msg960033

Beezy

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 09:15:50 PM »
Thanks James.

buttercup

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 01:06:41 AM »
Hi Beezy , I just seen your post regarding Patrick and Angela Dolan, there were Larkins who lived in post office row there are people who knew the Larkins a member who goes under the name of sassidge , I believe the Larkins still live in the area, if you go to search and typos in Post office row Greencastle you should see the post , good luck with your search

buttercup

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 09:13:43 PM »
Hi Beezy , check out sailortown site on forum, there is a photo from the 50's of staff and crew of the Argyll,