Author Topic: Belfast Telegraph piece about search for missing relative  (Read 1040 times)

Beezy

Belfast Telegraph piece about search for missing relative
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:00:32 AM »
Just wanted to share the link to this article about the search for my great-aunt, Angela Dolan:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-man-sent-to-australia-as-child-pleads-for-information-about-mum-he-never-knew-35597036.html

If you know anyone who might be able to identify the lady in the photograph, could you please ask them to help? Thanks to everyone who has already contacted me with suggestions.

James James

Re: Belfast Telegraph piece about search for missing relative
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:09:25 AM »
The photograph which is displayed in the newspaper article is too small to be viewable in the article, but you have published the photograph on here in your other related posts, and this is the photograph that you have published. The person whom you are looking for is the person at the top right.
BTW, judging by the hat that the woman at the top left is wearing and which is only visible in the reflection in the mirror, that woman might be some sort of nurse, unless stewardesses or so on, on the ferry in those days wore similar hats. ?

James James

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:48:02 AM »
In another recent post about this topic you also mentioned some possible names for two of the other women in the picture,... you also mentioned the name of the ferry,... the Duke of Argylle
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,68779.msg1954179.html#msg1954179

Somebody on here might know the answer to this,... but I'm wondering if such female crew members would have been required to be members of the National Union of Seamen.

In 1990 the NUS merged with the National Union of Railwaymen aka the NUR, to form the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers aka the RMT.  https://www.rmt.org.uk/home/

Beezy

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:05:33 PM »
Thanks for providing the rest of that info, James. It would certainly be helpful to know if stewardesses would have belonged to the National Union of Seamen. Unfortunately I haven't been able to track down any official records for the ship. I also wonder if the Union would release personal details without proof that the lady in question was a family member. As far as I understand, the hats visible in the photo were part of the stewardess uniform, but I agree that they look more like something a nurse would wear. It's a shame I haven't been able to get in contact with the forum member who posted the original photo.

PaulineRooney

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 08:43:02 PM »
Hi, ive been reading through your posts regarding your Great Aunt Mary Angela Dolan. I notice the picture shes wearing a nurses headgear, i found an Mary Angela Dolan on the nurses register in 1966 at General Hospital Nottingham. Also the Sisters of Mercy who founded the Mater hospital on the crumlin road had nurses accomodation. If you wish to send me a message so we could exchange emails etc.

stickleback

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 09:02:02 PM »
Hi, ive been reading through your posts regarding your Great Aunt Mary Angela Dolan. I notice the picture shes wearing a nurses headgear, i found an Mary Angela Dolan on the nurses register in 1966 at General Hospital Nottingham. Also the Sisters of Mercy who founded the Mater hospital on the crumlin road had nurses accomodation. If you wish to send me a message so we could exchange emails etc.

It's great to see you back, Pauline Rooney. You posted when I joined here and you sent me a document which you offered to all of us, but you obviously didn't know me. Still, you sent it. I might be wrong, but I don't think so. If it was you, as I think it was, thanks very much. Welcome back, Pauline.

Nice try to re-unite the family.