Author Topic: Eureka Street  (Read 1517 times)

Tommy Gibb

Eureka Street
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:41:29 PM »
I noticed several references to Eureka Street in some postings and was wondering if anyone knew the Standfields; Bobby, Billy, Tommy,Eva and I believe there was one more girl. Bobby was my father in law and was born about 1921 and was in the fire auxillary for a time he worked in Magees for quite some time as well as a cutter?

deke

Re: Eureka Street
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:26:28 PM »
Tommy    just wait till Mageeka comes on, for sure he will have known them or knew somebody that knew them or knew somebody that knew somebody that knew them.    ;D
I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

Mageeka

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:02:32 PM »
I noticed several references to Eureka Street in some postings and was wondering if anyone knew the Standfields; Bobby, Billy, Tommy,Eva and I believe there was one more girl. Bobby was my father in law and was born about 1921 and was in the fire auxillary for a time he worked in Magees for quite some time as well as a cutter?

Tommy where did they live before eureka St

Mageeka

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 09:40:27 PM »
Tommy
Is the name Standfield or perhaps Stanfield ?
I know there was a Tommy Stanfield who lived in Hanover Street Belfast

AL CAPONE

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 09:53:04 PM »
Was Eureka St on the newtonards rd?

andy

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:24:09 PM »
hi tommy, bob Stanfield worked in the cutting room in Maggee's on the
donegall road, i was the cutting manager then, he worked on the band
 knife. do you remember the moores, and a family called Gigen, Ilene
was a Christan and used to sing in the gospel halls.
there was a man called harry he had a stable in eureka street he used
to belong to the brethren and he also looked after Matilda street gospel hall [cant remember his surname]
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

andy

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 08:26:13 PM »
"AL" eureka street was off donegall road.

andy

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 09:06:48 PM »
"tommy" your name is very familiar where did you or your family live,
i used to live in bentham street, and attended Linfield secondary.
my name is bill Anderson.

Tommy Gibb

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »
Sorry folks but the name was Stanfield my first was a typo error, highly unusual for me LOL.
I'm sorry also for the delay in responding but I was away to Boeing aircraft manufacturer in Washington State US for the week, working (sigh).
My family came from East Belfast my grandfather, Thomas Gibb was born in 1903 in either Convention St or Cuba St and then moved later into the other one. He joined the Inniskilling Fusiliers and was also in Irish Fusiliers and went overseas; when one went home he joined the other and spent 7 years in India, 5 years in Egypt and 2 years in Cyprus. He married my grandmother Henrietta Vance (Lindsey Street) and they were married for 55 years before he died in 1988 she died 5 years later.
They lived in a street near the Oval, the home of the greatest football team in the universe, when they won, lol. When the war came their home was bombed and they moved into Fairview Gardens Carryduff.
There are also relations who lived on the Beersbridge road who are called Tommy as well. I am 55 years old this year and spent my youth in Carryduff and Gray's Park Milltown Shawsbridge, then moved to Lisburn before coming to Canada.
I was born again at age 39 and have tried unsuccessfully to live "the good life" since then but thank God I am covered by the blood of Jesus and am forgiven for all my sins. I am off the preachers soap box for now.
Thanks for all your replies, I was just interested to know if anyone knew my father in law, who was a nice man, he had to be to allow me to marry his daughter, if only the had known the real me he might have protested more, lol.

Tommy Gibb

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »
Sorry Mageeka I don't know where they lived before Eureka Street but Phoebe was married to Bruce Ward and they lived there until their deaths, not that long ago a few years I believe.

Mageeka

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 05:16:07 PM »
Tommy
Check out Commonwealth War graves Commission and do a search on Stanfield  Don't just go by the Army forces , but also Naval, Airforce and Merchant marine deaths
Make sure you put in United Kingdom Forces
M

Joweir

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 07:27:32 PM »
Hey, I'm sure this thread is dead, but just in case.. I am Eva Stanfields grand daughter. She married Bruce Ward. Her sister Phoebe married John Whittley. Both remained in Belfast.

JamesyMurphy

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 03:28:06 PM »
Hey, I'm sure this thread is dead, but just in case.. I am Eva Stanfields grand daughter. She married Bruce Ward. Her sister Phoebe married John Whittley. Both remained in Belfast.
[/quote. I went to school with a girl called phoebe ward from Eureka St that was in the 1960s so she would be around 66 67 now, I think Ester Kennedy was a good friend of her also from Eureka St.

Joweir

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 07:57:12 PM »
Hi Jamesy, yeah Phoebe would be my mother. I told her you had left a message. She had mentioned that if her memory is right that your grandmother lived on Eureka street. And Esther had a brother that was friendly with my Uncle Bruce.
She says that she hopes you are well!

JamesyMurphy

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 11:21:23 PM »
Hi Jamesy, yeah Phoebe would be my mother. I told her you had left a message. She had mentioned that if her memory is right that your grandmother lived on Eureka street. And Esther had a brother that was friendly with my Uncle Bruce.
She says that she hopes you are well!
Hello again Joweir, glad to hear phoebe is well it was my aunt Sally Curliss that lived down the street from her family, I'm from matilda st which was 2streets away but I know we went to school at the same time blythefield and kelvin and probably mabel st as well, there is quite a few people mentioned from Eureka St on the sandy row topic I'm sure your mum will know all the names and there's still a few that post quite regularly so it would be worth while checking it out there's a lot of pages but it's great reading about the wonderful people who grew up in sandy row, take care and stay safe for now and hopefully speak soon