Author Topic: Eureka Street  (Read 1516 times)

boops

Re: Eureka Street
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 01:19:13 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised to see this Eureka st., thread as I have not been on the forum for awhile and looking in this morning,I thought about my childhood and  of being a young wife and mother  in that wee street until we left in 1965  also remembering  8th May 1945, 75 years ago of coming  from Blythe st., School as a 7 year old at lunchtime to my granny's house ,my gran looked after us while my mammy worked part time....and hearing  the ladies in the street shouting "the war's over" "the war's over"...  they then  dressed up and banging pot lids together and a couple of drums   began to parade up and down the street ,I asked granny if I could stay off school and joining the other kids with pot lids we  followed  Bekky  Bell , Maggie McCrea and the other women who joined in, from our street  then into Felt st., and Blythe St.,and up and down the streets of Sandy Row I remember the crowd seemed to grow larger as we paraded on that beautiful  sunny day,...I was unaware though  that my teacher and the other teachers were  at the staff room window watching as we went down Blythe st., and could see me and some others who also stayed away that afternoon but I was reminded about it next day when my teacher managed to keep her face straight as she informed me. It certainly was a day to remember as I can still see it all so clearly yet ....and still remember how resilient those people were then and hope and pray that the 21stcentury people could be just as strong...I know at this time we are all facing a different type of war with this virus but if we all follow the rules of shutdown  to save lives with the same perseverance and the help of the Lord, then as the song goes "We'll Meet Again"
                                               God bless everyone,

JamesyMurphy

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 11:53:00 PM »
Hello all from eureka st just a little bit of sad news I seen today on the sandy row (Facebook) site, another old eureka St resident Hugh Gorman died on the 18th in Canada, I'm sure quite a few people from the area will have known Hugh and his family. Rip Hugh.

boops

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 11:52:27 PM »
hi Jamesy, Sorry to hear your news about Hughie,my thoughts and prayers are with his sons and family circle,may God bless and comfort them. We lived on the other side of the street from the Gorman's.
He was truly blessed by becoming a Pastor,I only ever  heard him preach once though  when  he was on one of his visits back home from Canada....while he and his wife Joan were training at college they would come to Belfast at  holiday times and Joan would work in the Albion as a stitcher on the same bench as I did, at teabreaks she would teach my young sister some Afrikaan words ,she always seemed to be a lovely kind and gentle girl. RIP Hugh .