Author Topic: Update on the search for Angela Dolan  (Read 1125 times)

Beezy

Update on the search for Angela Dolan
« on: April 20, 2017, 01:33:11 PM »
Some of you may recall my previous threads about the search for my great-aunt, Angela Dolan.
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,68383.0.html

I just wanted to let everyone who has helped in the search so far know that we have now managed to rule the stewardess in the photo from the Duke of Argyll out of the search. A lady from Morecambe contacted me to say that her granny worked on the boat and remembered that the lady in question came from England, so it's definitely not her.

We now believe that Angela did go to America after all, because it appears she was spotting working in a cafe or hotel in New York in 1964. This information came to light yesterday as a result of Patrick's interviews with Radio Ulster and BBC Newsline. You can watch the Newline interview here:[size=78%] [/size]
https://www.facebook.com/BBCNewsline/videos/vb.197313523633877/1490798647618685/?type=2&theater

I am now appealing to anyone with friends and family in New York to share our Facebook page and help us to get the word out over there. Thanks to everyone on the Belfast Forum for your ongoing support, especially James James whose help has been invaluable.
https://www.facebook.com/findangeladolan/

Timmo

Re: Update on the search for Angela Dolan
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »
For what it's worth not too sure if you have seen this but just in case. I found this record for a birth of a Patrick Dolan in Enniskillen for the 10th of March 1902 whose mothers maiden name was Mary McGowan and Fathers name was James Dolan. A long shot but who knows?
Before you laugh at someone else, have a look in the mirror.

Beezy

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 08:00:43 PM »
Thanks Timmo - that Mary McGowan might actually be Angela's aunt on her mother's side, which would make her son Patrick a cousin. The Mary Angela we're looking for was born on 5 June 1918 and we've managed to track down her baptismal record. We also have a birth certificate for Patrick, who was born in Dublin in 1945. Sadly I doubt that we're going to make any further headway with records because the Child Migrant Trust have been so thorough in their search already, but it would be great if something turned upů

Timmo

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
Thanks Timmo - that Mary McGowan might actually be Angela's aunt on her mother's side, which would make her son Patrick a cousin. The Mary Angela we're looking for was born on 5 June 1918 and we've managed to track down her baptismal record. We also have a birth certificate for Patrick, who was born in Dublin in 1945. Sadly I doubt that we're going to make any further headway with records because the Child Migrant Trust have been so thorough in their search already, but it would be great if something turned upů

I seen Patrick on the news here and wish him all the very best for the future. Give him my best wishes.

Timmo
Before you laugh at someone else, have a look in the mirror.

Beezy

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:19:59 PM »
I will Timmo, thanks. We're really touched at the amount of support we've had.

Beezy

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:25:23 PM »
I was just looking at the 1949 passenger list that Angela's name appears on, and I noticed that someone has circled her age and put a line through it. Does anyone happen to know the significance of that? She's the ninth name on the list: Mary A. Dolan, age 30. (We don't know for definite that it's her, but the name, age and address would seem to fit.)

http://i.imgur.com/Ed7L31z.jpg

McNamee

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 08:39:23 PM »
I have shared it on my Facebook for my American friends to do the same...I really hope this Gentleman gets some answers....

Beezy

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 08:51:46 PM »
That's very kind of you McNamee.  :)

CMcG

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
If the focus is turning to NY, just to make sure you're aware of the Old Fulton New York Post Cards website, it has thousands of digitised NY newspapers.  For example, the NY Irish American Advocate of 23 January 1960 talks about a marriage on Saturday at the Sacred Heart Church, Bronx, between 'Miss Mary Dolan, Irish American from the Bronx, and popular Pete McAleer who hails from Co. Tyrone' with the reception held at Mayers Restaurant, Bronx. OK, mightn't be her and the website's search engine could be better, but worth noting as another tool for the box going forward.

http://fultonhistory.com

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Snowflake

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 09:27:42 PM »
My father was at the by wedding in 1960.  The bride was born in America and lived in Highbridge.  Her father was a cop and her father's side was originally from Leitrim.  The couple moved back to Tyrone.

stickleback

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 11:20:35 AM »

This is a fascinating story, which I missed first time around.

You, sir, are a credit to your bloodline.

It would also be remiss not to acknowledge the time and effort put in by James James in assisting you with this search.

I hope you are successful in discovering what became of this lady, if nothing else for the sake of her son.