Author Topic: Geography project / murals  (Read 1266 times)

GOBRIEN123

Geography project / murals
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »
Hello,

I was wandering if anyone on forum can help me with my geography project. Its is on sense of place (your identity and attatchment). Im doing it on the murals and i was wandering if anyone can reply giving me information about:
1. what are your views of the murals from both communities?
2. What are your reactions to the government planning to remove the murals?
3. Do you think they have a strong political message?

It would be a pleasure if you can get back to me.
Thank you
Im over in july as well to carry out my project so if anyone can have suggestions to what i can do, that would be helpful.

stickleback

Re: Geography project / murals
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 12:33:16 PM »
Hello,

I was wandering if anyone on forum can help me with my geography project. Its is on sense of place (your identity and attatchment). Im doing it on the murals and i was wandering if anyone can reply giving me information about:

Thank you
Im over in july as well to carry out my project so if anyone can have suggestions to what i can do, that would be helpful.

There was a post just like this about 18 months ago. I made a number of suggestions which the poster had not thought of and I daresay she got a much better result because of it. Never got a word of thanks for it or heard from her again. Anyways, because you are not from Belfast I will give you the same basic advice. Try to meet the mural artists. You then have a story on your hands. Not everyone in Belfast likes the murals, in fact, most don't. Ask the artists what the murals represent, how long they took to do, local reaction etc. Take photos.You will get enough content from that to fill out a project simply entitled ' Belfast Murals', rather than trying to ask questions of the public. Also be aware that in recent years there are new non-affiliated murals by street artists in Belfast which try to counteract the sectarian murals. You might want to meet them too, to give an alternative perspective.

Given that your surname is O'Brien you would be able to arrange meeting the artists of Nationalist/ Republican murals if you contacted the Sinn Fein head office in Belfast. It worked for the other poster. Don't know who you'd need to ask on the Loyalist side ( even though that's my background).

stickleback

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »

Belfast rapper Jun Tzu.

If you want to meet him you'll be putting a flight to Manchester on the to do list

Warning: 'bad language'. Caution advised to anyone who is language sensitive.

Born In Belfast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVC9iRRF05M

jjmack

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 09:04:29 PM »
Hello,

Thank you

I don't think the Belfast Forum is the place to ask your questions. However, good luck.  :D
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

barney bhouy

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »

I don't think the Belfast Forum is the place to ask your questions. However, good luck.   

tours

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 09:09:52 PM »
Danny Devenny (Republican side) Mark Irvine (Loyalist side). They have worked on murals together as well..
Bill Rolston (University of Ulster) has written a couple of books.on the murals "Drawing support". 1+2. Their basic, but a good starting point.

belle

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 08:13:36 AM »

Good luck with your geography project.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

doare.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »
Hello,

Thank you

i have a canadian friend went to belfast to see the murals as a part of his tour, was taken around by a taximan who apparently gives guided tours, my friend was impressed with the experience, as the taximan was from the falls are and knew the history of these....i remember after the first hunger striker bobby sands died these murals on the falls road seem to spring up over night almost...murals in the past were mostly a loyalist thing...king billy and the duke of schomberg is it?...i remember my 4 year old asking me about one of these in the donegal pass area. (the death of schomberg)  i said it was the song of rolf harris "two little boys"...
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

GOBRIEN123

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 12:08:41 PM »
Thank you everyone for your help with my project, much appreciated

Billy Fish

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 08:56:18 AM »
Hello,

Thank you

Personally they should be painted over, as they are doing nothing but promoting terrorists and terrorism. But then again 'some people' are making a fast buck through them. Disgraceful to the memory of the innocent victims and their families.  >:D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

tours

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 11:14:00 AM »
God Bless all those that died. RIP
Equality for all.
No hierarchy of victims.
Nobody came out of the war, smelling of roses.
Let us work together and treat each other with respect and as equals.

Billy Fish

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 08:53:52 PM »
The lure of the dollar, is a very powerful lure.  ;) As long as the dough keeps rolling in.  ::)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Billy Fish

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 08:33:07 PM »
God Bless all those that died. RIP
Equality for all.
No hierarchy of victims.
Nobody came out of the war, smelling of roses.
Let us work together and treat each other with respect and as equals.

The 'war' or the 'conflict' ?  ::)
Support Soldier F

tours

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 08:54:27 PM »
Let us build a new future together... 👍