Author Topic: Sunday 4th June - Down v Armagh  (Read 1963 times)

Orior

Sunday 4th June - Down v Armagh
« on: June 01, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »
 Big big match on Sunday for those living on the east side of the Lagan. Down versus Armagh in Newry. See you all there.

Suas Ard Mhacha!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

McNamee

Re: Sunday 4th June - Down v Armagh
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 07:19:38 PM »
'Up Down'  That was what we loved to shout when my father took us to the match....Him being a Down man...

'UP DOWN' :yahoo:

hungry homer

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 10:32:54 PM »
As the dyslexic orangeman once shouted "Remember 1960!"

An Dun abu!

Orior

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 08:02:46 PM »
Dammit.

McNamee

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:22:35 PM »
Orior

Who won?

hungry homer

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 08:37:45 PM »
Orior

Who won?

Tut, tut McN - that's gloating!  :stop:

McNamee

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 08:39:13 PM »
So it was Down then. 'Up Down' :yahoo: :yahoo:

hungry homer

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 08:41:55 PM »
Dammit.

I just watched it on the TV.

The first half was very exciting, Down were playing with no defence!

The second half got scrappy and in my totally unbiased opinion, Down just about deserved it.

If it's any consolation, Orior, I don't see Down going any further either in Ulster or via the "back door".

Armagh were no great shakes - they are certainly a strong, fit team but they will come up against teams that won't give them the goal opportunities Down gave them and I don't think they have the scores in them.

McNamee

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 08:44:37 PM »
Oh now Hh you now have a Crystal Ball.... :D

Down will whip their little white ass es.... ;) ;)

hungry homer

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »
Oh now Hh you now have a Crystal Ball.... :D

Down will whip their little white ass es.... ;) ;)

McN - have you been talking to my wife? :D

I have been a long suffering Down fan since 1963, and no doubt will be enduring more suffering this summer, but I do admire your optimism!

GandT

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 02:24:28 PM »

I just watched it on the TV.

The first half was very exciting, Down were playing with no defence!

The second half got scrappy and in my totally unbiased opinion, Down just about deserved it.

If it's any consolation, Orior, I don't see Down going any further either in Ulster or via the "back door".

Armagh were no great shakes - they are certainly a strong, fit team but they will come up against teams that won't give them the goal opportunities Down gave them and I don't think they have the scores in them.

Níl mar a shíltear a bhítear, hungry homer, an Dún abú! Things aren't always as they appear! Down v Monaghan - great game - full of drama, some great skill on both parts, courage, great heart and great commitment. As one pundit pointed out - once Down get beyond the first round, they are dangerous. As Eamonn Burns points out, the Monaghan game is only one step but didn't we enjoy it! OK, Orior??

hungry homer

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 02:32:10 PM »
Great performance by Down last night. I honestly didn't think they would beat Monaghan, but they improved on their previous showing against Armagh.

I thought the ref gave Monaghan some "handy" frees in the second half which kept them in the game after down scored the penalty and after watching the last 5-10 minutes, I have no fingernails left!

I think Tyrone will be too strong for them, but recent performances have been encouraging - maybe all that was missing was a bit of self belief and last night's result will have done wonders for that.

An Dun abu! Remember 1960!

GandT

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »

Great performance by Down last night. I honestly didn't think they would beat Monaghan, but they improved on their previous showing against Armagh.

I thought the ref gave Monaghan some "handy" frees in the second half which kept them in the game after down scored the penalty and after watching the last 5-10 minutes, I have no fingernails left!

I think Tyrone will be too strong for them, but recent performances have been encouraging - maybe all that was missing was a bit of self belief and last night's result will have done wonders for that.

An Dun abu! Remember 1960!

Alas, the tide turned. Ah well, next year perhaps? Armagh very good against Kildare and Tyrone doing very well again. Should be interesting! My wife will be buying me an Armagh jersey but I'll wear a Tyrone one beneath. Just in case. Away to pack my Down jersey in mothballs!

Orior

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 10:32:57 PM »
Down had some very exciting players on display in Croke Park and they were a joy to watch, particularly the no 15 (Johnson?). Very fast, jinky etc but sadly not enough class across the whole team. The rebuilding is not just finished yet, and they need some more players with inter-county class.

McNamee

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
'Up Down'  I know, I know, not this Season...but maybe next... :)