Author Topic: 16 slang phrases you値l need to know in Northern Ireland  (Read 13453 times)

doare.

"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

doare.

Re: 16 slang phrases you値l need to know in Northern Ireland
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 06:51:49 AM »
Some of these (eg. wee, gurn, Houl yer whisht, tongin', foundered - there may be more) are words that simply reflect their Scottish origin, in our context they would be referred to as Ulster-Scots. 

In his 1880 'Glossary of Words and Phrases used in Antrim and Down', William Hugh Patterson provided an historical account of the Scottish settlement of east Ulster from 1607. From these origins he observed that the words and phrases of the local population 層ill be found in the main to be of Scottish origin'. The glossary can be looked up here:

http://www.ulsterscotsacademy.com/texts/historical-abstracts/1800-1899/pattersons-glossary/

houl your whisht is common in other parts of irelandi believe, and whisht as be silenct!! be quiet!! was one my da used too...
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

doare.

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 06:53:35 AM »
skelf instead of splinter is norse i believe as is kirk, brought in by the planters, scotlands dna is 50% norse and the rest irish.

James James

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »
Yep, that splinter word, totally familiar, i used to hear and use that a lot. A similar sounding word, it might not have been mentioned yet, was/is skelped, i.e. smacked.

Blootered/bluttered meaning drunk.

city hall

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 10:27:24 AM »
I worked with a guy who used to say (phonetically), Lair lair lair. You soon worked out that what he was saying was, There they are there.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 11:36:45 AM »
CMcG  I would have used Fornenst as meaning beside or next to me....lol....

There was one I did not get....Ogeous handlin....I have tried to pronounce it in different ways but to no avail ???

it's an ogeous handling (a mess)
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

doare.

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »

it's an ogeous handling (a mess)
oキdiキous
ˈōdēəs/Submit
adjective
extremely unpleasant; repulsive.
synonyms:   revolting, repulsive, repellent, repugnant, disgusting, offensive, objectionable, vile, foul, abhorrent, loathsome, nauseating, sickening, hateful, detestable, execrable, abominable, monstrous, appalling, reprehensible, deplorable, insufferable, intolerable, despicable, contemptible, unspeakable, atrocious, awful, terrible, dreadful, frightful, obnoxious, unsavory, unpalatable, unpleasant, disagreeable, nasty, noisome, distasteful; very common in belfast in my time..but yousens are just weans

McNamee

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2017, 01:05:40 PM »
lol  I know what odious is, but did not think ogeous was the same....Try as I might I cannot pronounce make head nor tail of it....

Dot/dash

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2017, 01:18:36 PM »
Yep, that splinter word, totally familiar, i used to hear and use that a lot. A similar sounding word, it might not have been mentioned yet, was/is skelped, i.e. smacked.

Blootered/bluttered meaning drunk.

ha ha ha ha          memories of my intolerant granny        "that wee girl needs a good skelp across the

backside"           :D
love me          love my gelding     

misssmyth1

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »
i have never heard of any of these sayings, maybe a skelf  'splinter'  .. it is like another language .. i am reading with interest though ...   

Bigali

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2017, 08:59:17 PM »
My Mothers favourite when she discovered me doing something I shouldn't was " c'mere ye wee blert ye" generally followed by an expert flick of a damp cloth to the back of bare legs which fair made you skip  :D
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »
lol  I know what odious is, but did not think ogeous was the same....Try as I might I cannot pronounce make head nor tail of it....

Try  saying ogus 
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

James James

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2017, 08:39:43 AM »
blert, another totally familiar one, and always said as wee blert, skelf was pretty much universal and ubiquitous, I suspect that some of the less commonly used terms these days might have been more in use with older people and some of them might have started to become less commonly used, which would be a great pity

skelly ?   purdeys ?,... wasn't that used as a term for potatoes,... I asked a mainland ice cream van vendor for a poke one time,... and got a reallly startled and baffled look  :)

misssmyth1

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2017, 11:33:02 AM »
LOL James I too asked for a poke from an ice cream van when first came to London He looked startled!  We soon learned not what to say ,scallions ,a fippenny stamp , asking for a' stone Of spuds'   etc what a laugh we had ..we were four Irish girls used to our spuds with everything ....and a stone of spuds was normal. for the week.... the English  greengrocer said we should be huge sizes eating all these potatoes we were four slim girls eating well ,all our meat and veg  and out every night dancing working the spuds off!  but the posts are amusing me although I have never heard of most of them  and are they  dying out nowadays???? whats a' blert '??  are the Scottish and Irish sayings very similar??

McNamee

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2017, 11:34:49 AM »
A 'blirt' is like a cheeky wee git....lol.