Author Topic: Looking for Annalee Street  (Read 1069 times)

Ruffler

Looking for Annalee Street
« on: June 16, 2017, 04:03:27 PM »
Hello all

I am looking for Annalee Street in Belfast. My grandparents lived at 23 Annalee Street according to the 1911 census with there then 5 children.

My research has led me to a dead-end. What I have been able to ascertain is that Annalee Street was near or between Manor St. and Clifton Park Avenue. I have searched the whole area with Google maps and can't find it. Might it have changed names?

My mother, now passed-on, told me that they moved from Annalee St. to a place called Victoria Terrace. Can't find that either. :-(

Thanks for your help and time. It is much appreciated.

Pat

belle

Re: Looking for Annalee Street
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »
I think, I'm not 100%, Annalee Street was off the Antrim Road.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

Sarah51

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 08:10:15 PM »
Annalee street ran from manor street to Cliftonpark Avenue. It was between Avonbeg Street and Dargle Street. The whole area came under redevelopment All streets long gone

Ruffler

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 08:22:02 PM »
Thank you all for helping. I have a much clearer picture now. At least I know the general area where Annalee Street was.

Pat from Canada

Ruffler

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 09:14:15 PM »
Hi again Sarah51

Unfortunately I can't post an external link here (I understand why), but if you know how to use Google Maps could
you please "make your way" to Manor St. and Cliftontonville Rd. in Satellite view  (bottom left corner), click anywhere on Manor St. and
zoom into Street View? Looking at any house could the houses have been built circa 1911 - 1925 or are they "younger"than that?

I hope this is not too inconvenient for you?

Thanks again!

Pat from Canada

Sarah51

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 09:34:49 PM »
I would say the houses would have been built early 1900s My mother lived in Avonbeg Street. Her back door would have backed on to An Annalee back door they were all terraced houses with an alley running between streets. Will see about map. Leave it with me

Sarah51

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 01:00:50 PM »
Hi Pat  trying to  get photos of Annalee Street  -  the thing is I can see it so clearly in my mind -  laundrette at corner with Manor Street   About Victoria Terrace this may have been where now there is new houses and high rises. These were built on the site of the old Victoria barracks and surrounding streets. This area is around the New Lodge Road.Maybe older members of forum might remember area before redevelopment           

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 02:23:14 PM »
You can see Annalee Street on this old 1920s map, regardless of the whole area having being redeveloped, some of the street alignments remain, for example, if you follow Clifton Park Avenue up to its junction with the Cliftonville Road, you can see how the dog leg at the top has survived, also on a modern map, the alignment of streets like Mountainview Street, Alloa Street, Rosleigh Street and Rosevale Street have survived, from this you should be able to pinpoint Annalee Street quite accurately on a modern map (it's under grass):

jjmack

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 08:33:37 PM »
Long gone, I think.
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

blondie42

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 03:23:42 PM »

the area was all redeveloped in the 80s

belle

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 03:54:15 PM »
Hello blondie42. Welcome to the forum.  :)
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

Ruffler

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 04:50:23 PM »
Hello all

Sorry, but I have been aware for a bit.

Thank you all for your extensive help. I am sure I will find what I'm looking for.

Special thanks to Sarah51 and love the area map CMcG

Pat

frankie1961

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 05:32:31 PM »
I was born in Annalee street in 1961 , lived next door to my granny , we moved out around 1966 to the west of the city

artibell

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 07:19:53 PM »
 1964 street directory 21 - 23 Annalee Street Teggart, P., foreman