Author Topic: Groomsport in the 1960s  (Read 1672 times)

Creaky

Re: Groomsport in the 1960s
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 07:21:32 PM »
Hi Noel. Can't sat I knew any of those boys you mentioned. Checked a couple of other Boys' Model posts and Mr Irvine does get mentioned in them. Seems though that the people mentioning him attended in the 60's. So I'm reckoning that he left prior to 1972 as I had first thought. 
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

Sachs

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »
Hi Noel. Can't sat I knew any of those boys you mentioned. Checked a couple of other Boys' Model posts and Mr Irvine does get mentioned in them. Seems though that the people mentioning him attended in the 60's. So I'm reckoning that he left prior to 1972 as I had first thought.

I attended The Model 1969-1974.

I remember Irvine at The Model , he taught Tech. Drawing. He was a fairly straight laced character and not at all what you would imagine  an Artist to look like.

I may be confusing him with someone else but he may have spent some of his career in Canada.

BTW the list of names in the previous post seem familiar especially Alan Hunter. He lived in Formby if it’s the same guy.

Creaky

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 01:50:46 PM »
Hi Sachs. You remember Mr Irvine very much as I do. He always wore suits, shirts and ties and looked more like a geography teacher. Don't know if he had been in Canada or not. I asked on other threads if anyone remembered Ed Mowat, the physics teacher, but no one came back. Do you remember him? Big Fermanagh man he was. Dark wavy hair and glasses. Nice guy, good teacher. Was reading some of you earlier posts. Interesting that you lived in Tyndale Park. When I got married, I bought a house there. Number 104, right down on the left hand side as you approach the side fence of the Model. I sold it in 1983
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

Sachs

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 09:23:58 AM »
Creaky good to hear back from you. What years were you at The Model ?

I remember Big Mowat well. He was my first year physics teacher.
I recall he was doing a demo on gravity were we dropped items from the second floor classroom to a couple of our classmates outside. As would be expected with 12-13 year old boys there was a bit of “messing” going on. Big Mowat was able to maintain his professionalism until he caught a couple of the lads spitting on the boys below.
If memory serves me well I still have a vision of Mowat grabbing one of the gobbers by the throat and giving him a good old throttle.

As for Tyndale Park I was back in Belfast last October and took a walk up to Tyndale. Our old house #78 was actually up for sale. BTW did you ever hear that the approximate location  where your house was had been bombed during WW2 Blitz? That was why some of the homes in that spot were Post War.( Maybe just an Urban Legend from that period.)

Creaky

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »

Hi Sachs, I was at the Model from 1966 to 1972. Glad to hear that at least one other person remembers big Ed. He struggled a bit with experiments. My lasting memory of things going wrong for him was when we were doing this experiment on acceleration. The equipment consisted of a wee wooden trolley thing which ran along a track and towed a length of ticker tape through a wee ticker tape machine. The distance between the dots indicated the acceleration and deceleration of the trolley. The trolley had a spring loaded plunger at the back which you would push in to "load" it. You then hit it with a wee hammer, the plunger would fly out against a back stop on the track and the trolley would whizz along the track. Anyway he couldn't get it to work this day. The wee plunger wouldn't fly out when he hit it with the hammer. So he "loaded" it and after hitting it about five times with the wee hammer, he lifted it up to his eye for a closer look. Without warning the wee plunger shot out and went straight through his glasses. I don't think the wee plunger hit his eye, but he got glass in both eyes . I think we got sent home early as a result. But thankfully he was ok.

Do you remember a big fat art teacher who I think was Mr Pettigrew? He was an odd ball. He used to sit at his desk all day with a mirror and a big lump of fleshy coloured plasticine and mould false noses on his face over his own nose. He was a grumpy oul sod too.

As for Tyndale, I was friends with a guy who I think lived in 72. Brian McArthur? I don't think Tyndale Park was ever bombed. I know the houses you are asking about, there are 6 on the odd side and 4 on the even just about the entrance into the estate. The 1943 street directory just lists vacant ground. But as well as that, when I was growing up just round on the Ballysillan Road, my father was friendly with an old retired police officer who lived in 111  Tyndale Park during the war. He used to tell lots of stories but I don't remember him saying anything along those lines. As far as I know Sunningdale Park and Shandarragh Park where as far as up as the bombing got. So it is maybe just legend. 

Sachs

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 05:44:21 PM »
Creaky

Small world. I knew Brian McArthur and his brother Ian  very well. We played football in the street and over Ballysillan fields.
We went to school together just about everyday. [size=78%]We kind of drifted apart at 15-16.[/size]
Then I left for Canada shortly after.that.

Have you heard from Brian or Ian in recent years?

I don’t remember the art teacher you speak of. The only art teacher I can remember was an English guy called Culshaw

Creaky

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »

Certainly is a small world Sachs. I didn't know Ian so well but do remember him. I think he was the younger of the two but no, I haven't seen Brian in years. We all went about together in a crowd in the early/mid 70's and as happens we parted company as we all got paired off and moved on.

Culshaw? I remember him all right. Didn't like him.