Author Topic: 1984 the last neighbor hood with Catholic and Protestant  (Read 8015 times)

New York

1984 the last neighbor hood with Catholic and Protestant
« on: August 01, 2006, 11:17:29 PM »
Does anyone know what neighbor hood in belfast had Catholic and Protestant living there with know walls in 1984 or even know. I heard that this neighbor hood was the only one with no walls and Catholic and Protestant lived next to each other. I was just wondering if this is true and if so what neighborhood. Thanks New York

BLOOMFIELD

Re: 1984 the last neighbor hood with Catholic and Protestant
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 12:12:27 AM »
New York

I do not know whether you mean the following place.

There is a small town called Hollywood, about 8 miles outside Belfast, which is a mixed community. They appear to live in harmony, and there are many mixed marriages.

The extremists on both sides tried to ferment trouble there, but representatives of each religion met with them and told them that they were not welcome in the area.

So, you see that where there is a will on both sides, there can be peaceful integration.

I went to school there, and when I left Belfast in 1971 , all was peaceful.

What possibly helped was that there was a large British army barracks there.  :)
When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

Mageeka

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:37:42 AM »
New york
My parents moved t up beside the Curzon on the Ormeau and in 1988 their St was mixed with no trouble.
The Errigle Inn hosted patrons from both religons
My Fathers (RIP) funeral and mass was attended by both Protestant and  Catholic  I think even to-day the area is mixed religon

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 12:48:10 AM »
Hiya New York, as a matter of interest where did you hear this statement ??? Did it come from a reliable source or possibly someone with an extremely poor sense of humour attempting to crack a joke? If you were told there were walls around every neighbourhood in Belfast but one and believed such a piece of information someone should be making a fortune writing fairy tales for the Walt Disney Organisation. There is a Northern Ireland Bureau in Washington DC. Why not contact them. I am sure they will have the information you require at their finger tips.

EllCee

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 03:54:04 PM »
Does anyone know what neighbor hood in belfast had Catholic and Protestant living there with know walls in 1984 or even know.

In the area where I live, Newtownbreda, there are catholics, protestants, hindus, moslems, farsees, buddists and goodness knows what other religions and sects, and that's just on the road I live on.  In other parts of the area, there is a similar mix of people.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Mageeka

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 06:52:22 PM »
Hi New york
Are you still in the USA?
Where abouts are you"
I lived in N.Y. State for 23 years

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 10:43:18 PM »
This thread was getting way out of hand, so I did a mass purge. Now back on topic.

Folks, please remember No Flaming (personal attacks) and No Sectarianism (advocacy or criticism of unionism, republicanism, IRA, UVF, Sinn Fein, DUP, OO, etc). All that stuff should now be consigned to the history bin. Lets keep it out of Belfast Forum and make it a friendly place where people from all faiths are welcome and can have a pleasant conversation with each other.

arkie

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 10:50:46 PM »
THATS THE SPIRIT. GET BACK ON TRACK.  :D

Mageeka

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 10:51:13 PM »
Thank You Chris !

Mageeka

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 10:55:52 PM »
New York
I just checked with some friends up the Ormeau Rd and St Judes area ,Raby St , Jameson St is still for want of a better term mixed
Furthermore the village of Dramore which hitherto was
an unmixed area, is now totally mixed. 

EllCee

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 10:56:38 PM »
As I have known Bloomfield for over 40 years, I reserve the right to assault, assail and insult him in every way possible on this and any other BBS.   ;D ;D :P ::)  * :'( ;) :D :) :o
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 11:05:06 PM »
What the heck is a BBS ??? Is it a Secret Society ??? OK save wear and tear on your digits :D
A BBS for people like me who did not know .. Maybe I was the only one ... is a Bulletin Board System 8)

EllCee

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 11:09:49 PM »
BBS = Bulletin Board Service. 

It is also known as a MBS, or Message Board Service.  "Belfast Forum" is a BBS/MBS.

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 11:11:04 PM »
Sorry about that Les :'( You were too quick for me. I must say these sites are very educational.  :D
Do you have a Doctorate in Acronyms, Les ??? You seem to know enough of them :D

EllCee

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 11:14:33 PM »
"I must say these sites are very educational"

Just wait until you find some of the ones with photographs!   ;) ;) 8) 8) :o :o