Author Topic: 1984 the last neighbor hood with Catholic and Protestant  (Read 7933 times)

arkie

Re: 1984 the last neighbor hood with Catholic and Protestant
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 11:41:19 PM »
GOOD NIGHT TO ALL MY FRIENDS ON B F. :D

Mageeka

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 11:46:56 PM »
Good Night to you too Arkie

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 01:07:03 AM »
Les

As I have known Bloomfield for over 40 years, I reserve the right to assault, assail and insult him in every way possible on this and any other BBS.

I would not have it any other way :o

If you did not do so, I would think that you were coming down with a great illness.

All I ask is that when you make a derogatory post directed towards me, at the end of the post you give me one of these  ;D and two of these  :-*

If not, I will set Chris on you.
When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

Christopher

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 06:31:42 AM »
This thread was getting way out of hand, so I did a mass purge. Now back on topic.

Folks, please remember No Flaming (personal attacks) and No Sectarianism (advocacy or criticism of unionism, republicanism, IRA, UVF, Sinn Fein, DUP, OO, etc). All that stuff should now be consigned to the history bin. Lets keep it out of Belfast Forum and make it a friendly place where people from all faiths are welcome and can have a pleasant conversation with each other.

That's all very well Chris. I could not agree more, unfortunately they will soon be calling at our doors wherever we live ... dropping junk mail through our letter boxes and asking us to vote for them. If I walk across the street to my local for a pint it is quite possible to have a political discussion with friends. We may express our differences, but we shake hands and buy each other a pint so why the difference in cyberspace? BTW I live in what is termed a mixed area. A mixed crowd drink at the local. I rarely go across the road these days. I stopped drinking at the beginning of this year.

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 10:31:19 AM »
If I walk across the street to my local for a pint it is quite possible to have a political discussion with friends. We may express our differences, but we shake hands and buy each other a pint so why the difference in cyberspace?

It seems that every time there is the mildest criticism or advocacy of one side or the other, it always sparks a flame war with personal insults flying left, right, &centre. It happened here and also on the Harland & Wolff thread. It looks very ugly and damages the Forum.

I think there are other forums where we can have a discussion on Irish politics.

EllCee

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 11:39:02 AM »
"I think there are other forums where we can have a discussion on Irish politics."

There are.  Plenty of them.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

New York

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 12:51:34 AM »
To everyone who replied I did not mean to hurt or offend anyones feelings. I am in the search for my father and I have little to no information. This is why I am asking you all to help me put the pieces together. I can't afford to do a whole lot so I am limited. My father lived in a neighborhood in Belfast where it was mixed and it was one of the few in the 80S. My mother worked in the divit flats but she lived else where. When I posted this I was just looking for a small piece of information to a big puzzle. Thank you to everyone for the information you gave me.

joskillen

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 01:12:15 AM »
I lived in a mixed area  One side of the Newtownards Rd close to the Bridge end had a big catholic population (
close to St Matthews Chapel) and the other side of the Rd. to the Bridge end was protestants ,no barriers
when I left in 1967. Ther was just as many catholics out watching the twelfth of July parades as there was prods.

New York

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 01:21:22 AM »
Joskillen, Did the St.Matthews ever have a place for volunteer's who lived there and worked in the divit flats that you know of. Thanks for your information

joskillen

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 01:40:04 AM »
I don't recall anyone ever talking about resident volunteers .The Divis flats are quite a ways away from St
Matthews Chapel on the Newtownards Rd.

Taggart 009

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2006, 11:21:10 PM »
If I walk across the street to my local for a pint it is quite possible to have a political discussion with friends. We may express our differences, but we shake hands and buy each other a pint so why the difference in cyberspace?

It seems that every time there is the mildest criticism or advocacy of one side or the other, it always sparks a flame war with personal insults flying left, right, &centre. It happened here and also on the Harland & Wolff thread. It looks very ugly and damages the Forum.

I think there are other forums where we can have a discussion on Irish politics.

I agree with the policy of no Religion or Politics on the site.
To read something and to hear the same thing is completely different!

Satchmo

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2006, 10:47:01 PM »
I grew up in Linview St off the Grosvenor Rd and had as many Catholic friends as I had Protestant friends. We played football, hurley and cricket after school and later on hung around pubs and dance hall together. Brendan (Blackie) Hughes was our paper boy, and he and his brother Barry were good pals of mine, as were Liam McCarton, Nickie McDonagh, the Gouldie brothers. We never discussed religion. When the troubles started I had been in Canada for several years, and my mother, who by this time was deaf and nearly blind, was living alone. It was Catholic neighbours who helped her pack up her belongings to move when things got really bad. After the move she shared a flat with Mrs Carlisle, a Catholic friend from Linview St.

MAgeeka

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2006, 12:06:31 AM »
I remember Brendan and Barry well, as I went to schoo; to- gether.   A few years ago  Brendan  met my brother and mistook him for me.  He asked if he recognized his face because  according to Brendan, I had hit it a couple of times  They had a good laugh about it   The Hughes also had full cousins in Ross St I.E Teddy, Fra and Joe Mc Cann
Now don't quote me on this but I heard that Darkie is either very ill, or dead. I will check on it.

MAgeeka

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2006, 12:08:46 AM »
I remember Brendan and Barry well, as I went to school to- gether a few years ago  Brendan  met my brother and mistook him for me.  He asked if he recognized his face because  according to Brendan I had hit it a couple of times  They had a good laugh about it   The hughes also had full cousins in Ross St I.E Teddy, Fra and Joe Mc Cann  I can still see Mrs hughes face and her dark black hair.
Now don't quote me on this but I heard that Darkie is either very ill, or dead. I will check on it.

Satchmo

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2006, 03:56:05 AM »
MAgeeka, click on my profile and drop me an email. We have to know each other.