Author Topic: Dowds of Fane Street  (Read 1303 times)

Vossagutt

Dowds of Fane Street
« on: July 10, 2017, 04:11:57 AM »
On behalf of a friend I am trying to find out any information about a family named Dowds. They lived at off the Lisburn Road at 40 Fane Street around the late 1940s. It appears there was a daughter whose first name I don't know, but it begins with 'P'. Said daughter gave birth to a baby boy in or around 1949; the child may or may not have been fathered by a man in the Swedish Royal Navy. The child's name was Trevor. Given that official records have not shed any light on this, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

CMcG

Re: Dowds of Fane Street
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 06:15:12 AM »
From the 1943 Belfast street directory for Fane Street on the LennonWylie website:

40. Dowds, Oliver, fitter

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/fcomplete1943.htm

Also 1951: 40. Dowds, Oliver, fitter
Also 1960: 40. Dowds, Oliver, fitter

From a local 1940 newspaper: Aircraftman William James Dowds, R.A.F., son of Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Dowds, 40 Fane Street, Belfast, has been killed in a road accident.  Aircraftman Dowds, who was 19, was a dispatch rider.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Vossagutt

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 06:22:17 AM »
I can see why you're a Hero Member thank you so much. Such a good, speedy start. Also thank you for introducing me to the Lennon Wylie directory.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 06:39:09 AM »
As some speculation into wider background in order to ring bells for readers, note that Oliver Dowds is locally a fairly uncommon forename and surname combination, so this 1920 marriage to a Jeanie Elliott just might relate:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1920/09265/5354443.pdf

... as might the following census returns:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__George_s_Ward_Belfast/Barrington_Street/954243/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__George_s/Barrington_Street/161513/

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Vossagutt

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 06:56:38 AM »
Well now, so Oliver and Jeanie married (on licence, does this mean a quick marriage?) in the year before the birth of the son William who was killed in 1940. And the couple certainly lived close to each other, in the same area, before their marriage. The timeline and other evidence seems to make sense. Just wish I could get a handle on this daughter, the enigmatic Miss P Dowds ...

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »
With the usual big caveat / health warning over the accuracy of information posted on the internet, just to note that the 'Ancestry' website has a family tree showing an Oliver Dowds married to Jane Martin Elliott (the 1920 date of marriage matches that for the marriage I posted at reply #3).

The couple are shown with 3 children, William James Dowds (1920-1937), Dorothy Frances Dowds (1925-2013) and Patricia Madeline Dowds (1931-2001). Patricia's birth date is given as 23 June 1931 in Belfast.

Oliver is shown as having died in Chorley, Lancashire in 1972.

As I said, caution is required over all of the accuracy, for example, William James' death year doesn't tally with what I've posted.

Vossagutt

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 07:21:46 AM »
Caveat emptor ... noted. Fantastic work CMcG  :)

I know what you mean about accuracy and family trees on Ancestry ... sometimes the eagerness (if we can call it that) excludes carefulness. But now that I know this family is listed on Ancestry, it might help in another way: our friend has taken a DNA test, as has another half-brother (the Swedish Royal Navy got about a bit), so it's possible that there is someone with Dowds ancestry who has also taken the DNA test and posted the results to Ancestry. Or one of the others web sites. Now that it appears that we have a few more names to go on, it'll make matching easier, assuming that happens.

It's strange, undertaking family history research can be heartening and saddening at the same time. If the tack we've taken is correct, how good is it that our friend will be able to clear up a mystery that's been bugging her for four years; but how sad that several of the main actors have passed away before this link was made.

Thank you.

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 07:32:56 AM »

You're welcome, the same family tree names the spouse of Patricia as David Campbell (died in 2005) and gives a death for her on 15 February 2001 in 'Anacortes WA'.

Vossagutt

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 07:39:45 AM »
So young Trevor could be in the US!

CMcG

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 07:45:36 AM »
Possibly.  A Washington Petition for Naturalization on 16 February 1960 says that an aeronautical engineer called David Henry Campbell of 16405 N.E. 6th St., Bellevue, King, Washington (born 5 April 1930 in Rossory, Fermanagh, Northern Ireland) married Patricia Dowds on 19 May 1952 in Belfast Northern Ireland, her date of birth given as 23 June 1931, the couple entered the US on 5 February 1960 and there is mention of 2 living children.  There is also a 1994 entry on the divorce index for Lincoln, Washington, mentioning David H Campbell and Patricia M Campbell.

Strangely, the Washington State Marriage Indexes show a marriage on 19 August 1997 at Skagit, Washington, between a David Campbell and Patricia Dowds, possible coincidence of names or re-marriage.

The US Social Security Applications and Claims Index has an entry for Patricia Madeleine Campbell / Patricia M Campbell / Patricia Madeleine Dowds, SSN 522925772, born 23 June 1931 in Belfast Northern Ireland, parents Oliver Dowds and Jane M Elliott.

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 07:57:47 AM »

... Strangely, the Washington State Marriage Indexes show a marriage on 19 August 1997 at Skagit, Washington, between a David Campbell and Patricia Dowds, possible coincidence of names or re-marriage.

It was a remarriage, the details on the affidavit for marriage license match perfectly.

Vossagutt

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 08:23:09 AM »
The Forum logged me off without my noticing, as I was trying to find out more about Miss P. And I too was a bit perplexed by the divorce and subsequent marriage. Now you've resolved that mystery too. Thank you again.

Now those two children ...

CMcG

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 08:59:08 AM »
The birth date for David Henry Campbell cited here tallies with the one I posted at reply #9, other detail gels, lots of family background mentioned, Derek and Carol were the 2 children:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/skagitvalleyherald/obituary.aspx?n=david-h-campbell&pid=90505367

However, it mentions that he was survived by his wife Pat, which doesn't tally, so caution needed again (it does mention a first wife, maybe he remarried and her name was Pat as well). No mention of Trevor.  I've probably exhausted what I can do, hopefully fresh eyes will pick up more.

Vossagutt

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 09:09:23 AM »
Well, that sounds like a pretty interesting life. But it's a shame we seem to have lost our Trevor. I re-read the copy of the letter the mother had sent to the proposed father, and the name of the little boy was certainly Trevor. I wonder, was he farmed out to another relative, to enable her to have a new life? Maybe the grandparents, Oliver and Jeanie brought him up. It's all speculation, of course, but that's what brought me here. Again, thank you CMcG.

herbie

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 04:31:37 PM »
Hi there from Canada .. always interested to see the name Dowds pop up ..   if you are looking for DNA connections .. I am on 23andme and Gedmatch ..  kit number M529084 ..   Grandmother was a Dowds who had lived in Belfast WAY back .. 

Just a thought ...   calling out all Dowds ..  would be nice for me to nail down my past as well..