Author Topic: BBC Documentary video - Belfast’s Pregabalin Addiction - Drugs Map of Britain  (Read 306 times)

James James

This is a 30 minute BBC documentary video about a prescription drug which is widely prescribed in Belfast and which is being used by some young people for non medical purposes.

Contains strong language.    https://tinyurl.com/yc5z2uxs

This is the accompanying text to the video...

"Published on Jun 22, 2017"
"Pregabalin, a drug prescribed to treat anxiety, epilepsy and nerve pain has seen huge increases in prescription in Belfast, alongside the illegal trade of the drug on the streets. Director Adam Patterson follows the lives of some young people in Northern Ireland who are using and at times abusing these prescription medications."

"If you would like information or support about the topics covered in this documentary, there are organisations in the UK that can help. More information can be found at"...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1kS7QTDB16PWkywhsXJLzxz/information-and-support-addiction-alcohol-drugs-and-gambling

BLOOMFIELD

That Drug should be illegal, the side effects are horrible   >:D >:D >:D

Yes, I had it prescribed by my Doctor, for Neuropathic pain.

After taking it for 4 days , I told my Doctor to stuff it ....

Wear a medical alert tag or carry an ID card stating that you take pregabalin. Any medical care provider who treats you should know

that you take seizure medication.

http://www.wellnessresources.com/health/articles/neurontin_and_lyrica_adverse_effects_the_saga_continues/

WARNING :   DO NOT TAKE IF YOU HAVE AN ALCOHOL  PROBLEM  :o

http://www.drugsdb.com/rx/lyrica/lyrica-and-alcohol/
I really wish I had a reason to come to the internet for validation sometimes. I feel like I'm the only one on here who isn't victimized by everything

Astor

That's really horrific  to watch James, how tragic that many children  who lived through the troubles have come to that  :(  Dear God, I hope they want and get the help they need to recover from their addictions.  Pregablin is given out way too freely anyway, I've always thought that and  needs to be addressed.

I'm  just back from Belfast last night and thankfully saw nothing like that, but the video is a real eye-opener.

Que Sera Sera

Astor

That Drug should be illegal, the side effects are horrible   >:D >:D >:D

Yes, I had it prescribed by my Doctor, for Neuropathic pain.

After taking it for 4 days , I told my Doctor to stuff it ....

http://www.wellnessresources.com/health/articles/neurontin_and_lyrica_adverse_effects_the_saga_continues/

WARNING :   DO NOT TAKE IF YOU HAVE AN ALCOHOL  PROBLEM  :o

http://www.drugsdb.com/rx/lyrica/lyrica-and-alcohol/

I too took if for a week when my hubby was very ill Bloomfield, I went back to the doctor and told her she may as well put me in an old people's  home, as they made me feel like a zombie, she told me to 
persevere and see what happens, no way I replied, and returned them  to the pharmacist. I took vitamin D instead and never looked back.

Que Sera Sera

teragram

Sounds similar to a tablet I was prescribed by a locum doctor some years ago when I was suffering anxiety and depression. After 3 days on them I was looking out my window deciding what tree I was gonna use. I eventually got back to my doctors surgery where my doctor had returned from holiday. She was livid when she realised what the locum had put me on.  She said to me,,,,,,, you should never have been prescribed them as you're an alcoholic.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

James James

That's quite a situation, to say the least, and on more levels than one.

My personal take on doctors and medications is this... yes, they're hugely knowledgeable and expert people, and often very experienced, and their advice and recommendations and treatments should be taken very seriously of course,... BUT... some are better than others, and often to a great degree, and even the more competent ones don't always get it exactly right.

I think that a lot of people are inclined to just leave it all to the doctor, and are automatically inclined to just automatically accept their diagnosis, opinion, prescribed medications, as being both correct and the best available option, or even the only available option.

However, that isn't always necessarily so, and although I certainly wouldn't even suggest that what a doctor says and advises and prescribed should be just casually disregarded, I do think that people should try to think for themselves a bit more about medical issues, and make even a little bit of effort to inform themselves about their own medical issues and medications.

Not to become a self appointed expert, or a medical zealot, or an obsessive, or a devotee of crank remedies, but just to find out a bit about their own condition and any possible alternative, and preferably natural remedies, and the experiences that other people have had with the condition and the remedies.

That's become much more easy to do via the internet, which does of course contain a lot of dubious information, but it also contains a lot of serious and documented information, and it's often possible to identify the more credible information sources.

I think that a big problem with G.P.'s especially, is that they only have a very limited time to deal with each patient, and they naturally are inclined to follow the default course of prescribing a particular medication, which might not always be either essential and or appropriate, and with medications, one always has to bear in mind that a lot of them in general, and some of them in particular, useful and effective as they may be in some cases, can also have some very significant negative side effects as well,... which are well worth checking out and becoming aware of and informed about,...

i.e. don't just always leave it all, and only, to the doctor and assume that will always automatically be sufficient.