Author Topic: Internees 1938-1946  (Read 7289 times)

James James

Re: Internees 1938-1946
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 07:57:18 AM »
There was a place in Derry/Londonderry called the John Mitchell Hall, it's mentioned here several times...
http://www.derryjournal.com/news/derry-s-part-in-the-war-for-irish-independence-part-2-1-7165896

In this other link...
http://www.derryjournal.com/news/derry-s-role-in-the-war-for-independence-part-4-1-7191449

this is mentioned...

"The general release came and by Christmas, 1916, the Derrymen were all out"

"First Arrests"

"That night Duffy took the first aid chart home and as the hall was constantly under the eyes of the detectives they followed him, believing that he was carrying some important plans or documents."

"He was arrested at twelve o’clock - the first Volunteer arrested in the city."

"At midday next day Seamus Cavanagh, Joseph O’Doherty, Vincent O’Doherty, Charlie Breslin. Paddy Hegarty, John Fox, Paddy Shiels and Eamonn MacDermott were arrested."

"Raids were carried out throughout the city but not one rifle or one round of ammunition was found. The John Mitchel Hall came in for a complete wrecking, the ceiling and walls were torn down and the floor boards were pulled up in a vain search for arms and documents."

CMcG

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 07:17:25 AM »

Courtesy of the Eileen Hickey Museum, I have the following names of internees in Crumlin Rd., 1940. Any further info on these men would be much appreciated, addresses,age, date of death, etc.

W. Shannon, K.B. McQuillan, John P. Ford, B.Kilroy, D. Oliver Quinn, Robert McGuinness, Brian Rafferty [Tyrone], Felix Stevenson, Arthur McCann, Patrick James Cunningham [2], Michael Collins, Sean McCoy, Myles E. Coy, J. Bryne, Harry McGrogan, Thomas Marley, Gerard Watson.

Another possibility to consider. There are several Belfast newspaper references in the early 1940s to someone called Brian Rafferty who was in the IRA and was sentenced for possession of firearms, they are consistent in giving him an address of Ann Street Dungannon, another reference in March 1939 talks about a family row involving 'Brian Rafferty (18) and James Rafferty, jun. (16), of Ann Street, Dungannon'.

A couple called James Rafferty and Mary Ann Toner of Dungannon had a number of children including Brian Peter Rafferty born on 22 April 1919 and James Rafferty born on 7 October 1922, their address for the latter child was Ann Street in Dungannon.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 07:39:49 AM »

Courtesy of the Eileen Hickey Museum, I have the following names of internees in Crumlin Rd., 1940. Any further info on these men would be much appreciated, addresses,age, date of death, etc.
W. Shannon, K.B. McQuillan, John P. Ford, B.Kilroy, D. Oliver Quinn, Robert McGuinness, Brian Rafferty [Tyrone], Felix Stevenson, Arthur McCann, Patrick James Cunningham [2], Michael Collins, Sean McCoy, Myles E. Coy, J. Bryne, Harry McGrogan, Thomas Marley, Gerard Watson.

Another one, this time John Ford with no middle 'P', but it might still be him, so maybe worth following up.  A Belfast newspaper of November 1940 reported on a case in the Winter Assizes in Armagh where a John Ford was on charges of unlawful possession of a loaded pistol with I.R.A. marked on the butt, his address was given as Derry, Portaferry, County Down and there was mention of the house of his grandfather George Conway, where Ford was residing.

A Cecilia Conway of Derry, Portaferry, daughter of George Conway, married Lawrence Ford in 1920, these would be possible parents for John:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1920/09248/5347425.pdf

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »

A Belfast newspaper of July 1942 reported on a case at the Armagh Summer Assizes where 20 year old David Oliver Quinn of Arthur Street, Lurgan was charged with illegal possession of a revolver.  A later newspaper reference gave his address as 10 Arthur Street, Lurgan.

CMcG

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »

There are several Belfast newspaper references from 1940 about a Patrick James Cunningham on firearms charges, the address given for him was Etna Drive, one reference cites street no. 135, there is also a reference to his wife Mrs. Cunningham being called Mary.  The 1943 Belfast street directory on the Lennon Wylie website shows this entry for Etna Drive:
135. Cunningham, P. J., labourer
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ecomplete1943.htm

At the same court on the same day on firearms charges was a 20 year old John B. McCoy, shop assistant, Rockmount Street - a  possibility for Sean McCoy? All very speculative, but the 1943 Belfast street directory on the Lennon Wylie website shows this entry for Rockmount Street: 39. McCoy, Peter, fitter.  There was a John Bernard McCoy born on 21 December 1919 to a Peter John McCoy and Mary Laura (O)Doherty, John Bernard McCoy went on to marry Jane O'Boyle in Holy Cross Church Ardoyne on 27 January 1949.

CMcG

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 08:52:58 AM »

There are references in Belfast newspapers of July 1941 about a case where several men were convicted for an IRA related armed raid on a turf commission agent in Berry Street, Belfast, the men included:

'Thomas J. Marley (22) of Bombay Street; Gerard Watson (20) of Colligan Street; Gerald McAvoy (20) of Campbell's Place, and Robert McGuinness (20) of Lemon Street.'

CMcG

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »

Again a maybe, a Belfast newspaper of December 1940 reported that a 'William A. C. Shannon (19 1/2), message boy, Colinward Street' faced a charge of illegal possession of ammunition at Belfast Police Court.

CMcG

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »

A Belfast newspaper of April 1941 reported that a Kevin Barry McQuillan of Townsend Street and Arthur McCann of Unity Street were on the same day and same place facing different charges of illegal possession of firearms.

With the usual health warning about online accuracy, an oblique internet reference suggests that someone of the name Kevin Barry McQuillan was the son of Edward 'Ned' McQuillan and Francis 'Fanny' McQuillan, siblings of Kevin including David McQuillan, John McQuillan, and Patrick 'Patsy' McQuillan.  The 1943 Belfast street directory on the Lennon Wylie website shows this entry for Townsend Street: 10. McQuillan, Mrs. Fanny and sure enough, the following 1920 marriage of Edward McQuillan to Frances Murphy gives her address as 10 Townsend Street:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1920/09276/5358649.pdf

So a possibility to consider.

CMcG

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2017, 10:17:18 AM »

There are references in Belfast newspapers of July 1941 about a case where several men were convicted for an IRA related armed raid on a turf commission agent in Berry Street, Belfast, the men included:

'Thomas J. Marley (22) of Bombay Street; Gerard Watson (20) of Colligan Street; Gerald McAvoy (20) of Campbell's Place, and Robert McGuinness (20) of Lemon Street.'

Another newspaper reference from 1941 with just a bit more detail on the addresses:

'Thomas J. Marley, 63 Bombay Street (Kashmir Road to Clonard Gardens); Gerard Watson, 10 Colligan Street (off Springfield Road); Gerald F. McAvoy, 4 Campbell Place (off Cromac Street) and Robert McGuinness, 13 Lemon Street (Falls Road).'

The 1943 Belfast street directory on the Lennon Wylie website shows the following entries...

10 Colligan Street: Watson, John, labourer
13 Lemon Street: Maginness, Patrick, labourer

pflanagan132

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »
Thanks James. I should have said that he was deported to England, not from England, in April 1916. He was sent from Richmond barracks in Dublin to Wakefield prison. He died in 1941. Anyway, he is not the man I was looking for. It was a much younger Hegarty who was interned in the 1940s

pflanagan132

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2017, 12:04:12 PM »
Thanks to CMcG for all those leads which are very helpful

pflanagan132

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2017, 06:05:56 PM »
A James P. Trainor [Treanor, Traynor], 32 Nelson St. was picked up in a mass swoop in December 1938 and placed in Crumlin Rd. He was then transferred to Derry jail.
Over 200 prisoners were transferred  from Derry to the Al Rawdah prison ship in early September 1940. A James Trainor of North Queen St. is recorded as being on the Al Rawdah. Could it be the same man? Are Nelson St. and North Queen St. adjacent? Maybe somebody with access to the Belfast street directories may be able to help.
Again my thanks to all on this Forum who have been very helpful.

MargaretS

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2017, 06:55:59 PM »
Nelson St  is not far north queen st
great George's connects both of them
32 nelson st  would have been part
of the old district
Know as little italy
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes

pflanagan132

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2017, 07:16:03 PM »
Thanks Margaret.

James James

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2017, 05:44:08 AM »
April 1943, head of household at 32 Nelson Street,... was H.Trainor ... scrap merchant. he was also listed there in 1951. In 1960 the head of household is Mrs. Elizabeth Trainor.

https://tinyurl.com/y8m5ybzu