Author Topic: Brian / Bryan Shillington  (Read 3102 times)

Fenris

Brian / Bryan Shillington
« on: January 12, 2008, 07:24:49 AM »
I'm searching for relatives in Belfast.  I live in Canada and want to know if any are still living.  I'm related to a Brian Shillington, whose father was Albert.  I'm also related to a Kathleen Shillington, and a Thomas and Catherine Shillington.  If anyone could help provide some information or where I could find information online, I'd muchly appreciate it, ta.

Cheers.

JimG

Re: Brian / Bryan Shillington
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 03:05:34 PM »
 try www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1907S.htm ie the Belfast Street directory for 1907 gives
an incomplete list  with
Shillington, John W., warehouseman, Brookvale Avenue
Shillington, T. Courtenay, linen merchant, Broadway; res., Glenmachan Tower, Strandtown
Shillington, T. F. (of Musgrave & Co. Ltd.), Albertbridge Road; res., Dromart, Antrim Road

the other alternative is to try www.thephonebook.bt.com/ type in surname in full and Northern ireland

from www.emeraldancestors.com  a pay to view website
Year of Marriage Groom Bride Civil District County More Details   
1919 albert victor edward    XXXXXXXX marries Jane  SHILLINGTON  Antrim

however of more interest for you is
www.ancestryireland.com a pay to view website
Births SHILLINGTON ALBERT 1912    Antrim

Good luck for your more recent rellies, Jim

Fenris

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 03:38:44 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for the information.  I very much appreciate it!

Cheers,

Fenris

expthep

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:26:19 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for the information.  I very much appreciate it!

Cheers,

Fenris
I'm searching for relatives in Belfast.  I live in Canada and want to know if any are still living.  I'm related to a Brian Shillington, whose father was Albert.  I'm also related to a Kathleen Shillington, and a Thomas and Catherine Shillington.  If anyone could help provide some information or where I could find information online, I'd muchly appreciate it, ta.

Cheers.

expthep

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »
I am the sister of Brian and have relations (had, all now deceased) with all the names mentioned in your message.  I have been trying to do research on the family during the last 18 months and would be quite welcome to talk to you about the Shillington family.

Lindsaysearches

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:06:58 PM »
my parent's were friends with a Bertie Shillington and I think the family used to live in "Knockeden Road/Park" that would have been sometime at the end of the war up to about 1960. Not sure if this would be the same family - but if it is would love to find out where they are now. I have a feeling that my father had been in the Boys Brigade with Bertie or else something to do with the shirt trade.

Fenris

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 06:00:45 PM »
I am the sister of Brian and have relations (had, all now deceased) with all the names mentioned in your message.  I have been trying to do research on the family during the last 18 months and would be quite welcome to talk to you about the Shillington family.

Hi,

I recently received notification of this post.  Would you be either Barbara (sp), Yvonne (sp) or Helen?  I would love to talk to you about the Shillington family, if indeed I have reached the correct person.

Cheers!

cj shaw

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 11:04:45 PM »
My mother was Eileen Joycelyn Shillington and she had  brothers "Bertie" and Douglas (who died young) and a sister named Kathleen. I have been curious about her parents . Her mother was Catherine Shillington and I'm unsure of her father's 1st name. The names of Barbara, Yvonne and Helen are also familiar; I believe they were Bertie's daughters.
I'm in Canada; can anyone provide me with information on my grandparents?
Thank you

CMcG

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 04:04:55 AM »

My mother was Eileen Joycelyn Shillington and she had  brothers "Bertie" and Douglas (who died young) and a sister named Kathleen. I have been curious about her parents . Her mother was Catherine Shillington and I'm unsure of her father's 1st name. The names of Barbara, Yvonne and Helen are also familiar; I believe they were Bertie's daughters.
I'm in Canada; can anyone provide me with information on my grandparents?
Thank you

You don't mention a timeframe but, for example, there was a Thomas Shillington (father also called Thomas) who married a Catherine McCance (father called William) in Derriaghy Church of Ireland on 2 November 1907.  GRONI online has the marriage record, it's 2 including digitised image. GRONI online also shows that they had a daughter Kathleen born 8 June 1908 (registered Lisburn), another daughter Eileen born 28 October 1909 (also registered Lisburn) and a son Albert born 30 January 1912 (registered Belfast).  Here is the couple and two daughters in the 1911 census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Dunmore/Drumaness_Town/234547/

Are they a possibility?

CMcG

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 04:23:32 AM »

GRONI online also has a death on 13 June 1941 registered in Belfast for a Douglas Shillington, the reported age was 24.  The Belfast City Council burial records include this one for Douglas, grave L1 373 in the City Cemetery Glenalina Extension, also showing parents Thomas (d. 3 October 1937, reported age 53) and Catherine (d. 18 July 1965, reported age 79), which fits in nicely with the 1911 census record):

https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=L1&GraveNumber=373&CemeteryName=City%20Cemetery%20-%20Glenalina%20Extension

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 04:50:31 AM »

This is the closest I can find in the 1901 Ireland Census for Catherine:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Malone/Dunmurry_Town__part_of_/997783/

The likeliest parents I can find for Catherine and Mary Ellen are a William McCance who married a Mary Anne Davison in Drumbeg Church of Ireland on 5 November 1884, they went on to have daughter Mary on 22 November 1884 and daughter Catherine on 18 March 1886 (also Margaret on 22 March 1888 - all registered Lisburn).  Critically, his father is given as William John McCance, which would tie in with the census record (her father was Arthur Davison).

The 66 year old William John McCance in the 1901 census record is probably one who married Ellen Dalton in St. Anne's Church of Ireland on 21 February 1864, his father was Samuel McCance, hers was Edward Dalton.

CMcG

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 05:21:28 AM »

On the Thomas Shillington side, this is the closest I could find in the 1901 census to tie in with age and place of birth in the 1911 census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Mountjoy/Aughrimderg/1736852/

The closest birth I could find was one on 10 October 1884, registered in Dungannon, the GRONI online search index shows the mother's maiden name as blank.

CMcG

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 05:51:54 AM »

GRONI online has marriages for an Albert Shillington to Emily Hyde on 28 August 1935 (registered Castlereagh) and  an Eileen Shillington to Harold Stronge on 19 September 1936 (registered Belfast), I wonder if these are possibilities for Thomas and Catherine's children?

CMcG

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 08:41:52 AM »
Birth for Douglas Shillington corroborated here:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBYZ-FWY

CMcG

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 09:23:09 AM »

All three burial records for grave L1 373 in the City Cemetery Glenalina Extension (spanning 1937 - 1965)  make reference to 7 Meyrick Park as the last place of residence, the Belfast street directory for 1943 shows the following entry for Meyrick Park:

7. Shillington, Mrs. C.

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/mcomplete1943_b.htm