Author Topic: John Blong in Cupar St.  (Read 561 times)

pflanagan132

John Blong in Cupar St.
« on: July 22, 2017, 02:01:14 PM »
John Blong from Kildare married Harriet Lawlor in 1909, had a daughter, Kathleen born 1910 and in 1911 the family are living at 291 Cupar St. In May 1940 a John Blong was arrested and interned. Can anybody say if the arrested man was John from Kildare or a son?  I am not aware of any further family for John and Harriet.

CMcG

Re: John Blong in Cupar St.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »
In the following 2006 topic, Mary Lennon noticed a pattern in the street directory entries for 291 Cupar Street, suggesting the possibility of a son John (who may have been known as Jack):
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1870.0

BTW, John and Harriett definitely had another daughter Eileen in 1912:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1912/01494/1607677.pdf

With the usual caveat about online accuracy, there is also an internet reference suggesting this couple has sons Daniel Christopher Blong (b. 13 November 1919) and John Blong (DOB not stated).

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »

... In the following 2006 topic, Mary Lennon noticed a pattern in the street directory entries for 291 Cupar Street, suggesting the possibility of a son John (who may have been known as Jack):
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1870.0 ...

The person with the username 'Wendl' (Wendy) in the above link was last active just over a month ago, it may be worth making contact to get the most up to date knowledge they have.

Also, could be just a co-incidence, but being such an unusual name for this part of the country, just to note this burial entry for someone born c. 1916 (though burial / death ages can be very inaccurate):
https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=7375.5128

pflanagan132

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »
Many thanks for your reply. I have replied to Wendl.

The John Blong who married Harriet Lawlor was born in Co. Kildare as per his Marriage record. His father was George, a farmer. I found George in the 1901 census in Rathangan, Co. Kildare. In the 1911 census John Blong and his family are in 291 Cupar St. John age is given as 26, so born c. 1885.

The Blongs were concentrated in the Irish midlands, mainly Co. Offaly, but also some in Co. Kildare, so for some reason John came North, probably in the early 1900s, maybe seeking work.

The death record you reference does not match John.

I failed to find John in any 1901 census.

It does appear that John Blong and Harriet had a son called John [Jack]. So I am still in the dark as to which John or Jack was arrested and interned in May 1940. Judging by the street directories it appears that John, senior was in Cupar St. over that period. He could, however appealed his arrest and been released. So if anybody can shed any further light, it would be greatly appreciated.

Incidentally, the reason for this post is that I am endeavouring to accumulate a listing of all men and women interned 1939-1946 for an upcoming book, Volume 3, Echoes of their Footsteps.

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »

... The death record you reference does not match John.

No, but the point I was making is that it was a possibility for a son called John, given how rare the Blong surname was/is in the Belfast area.

pflanagan132

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 11:43:18 AM »
My apologies, you are absolutely correct! This is the death record for John, junior. I was trying to tie it in to John Senior. So young John would have been born c. 1916. He would have been about 24 in 1940, and this looks much more likely to bethe man interned. Thank you.

Dan blong

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 12:35:39 AM »
Jack was my great uncle he was interned in the 1940s for IRA involvement, he did hard time he was tortured and kept in solitary most of the time on the prisons ships, he was a master carpenter, I have some of the models he made whilst interned,  he had younger brother Daniel and sister Kathleen (emigrated to USA) Daniel was my grandad he like to be called Danny, I understand they where from Kildare, John and Harriet where my great grandparents they where post masters, they ran a post office, my grandad married my grandma Margret or Peggy as she like to be called, they had 7 children, 5 girls Harriet, Philis , mora, Eileen, Rita, and 2 boys jack and daniel, daniel is my father, my grandma told me that my grandad changed his name from Blanc to blong before they where married, we are French Huguenot descendants from La Rochelle who 1st settled in port Arlington they are still some blancs or Blongís living there, my grandparents moved back to Belfast from deptford south London when they retired they are buried in mill town cemetery, jack is buried in city cemetery across the road, jack was offered a posthumous burial in mill town cemetery in the IRA section due to his involvement, but my family refused to have him dug up and reburied, he was know as mad jack he was a handful he used to call me Buachaill which is irish for boy, he spoke fluent irish which he learnt in jail, my name is Daniel blong I have an older sister called Madonna or Donna we both live in Kent in the Uk, I have recently made the decision to change my name back to Le Blanc which is our original surname from the 1600s, I have my family tree which a kind distant relative provided from Canada via my grandma who gave it to my sister, I understand the Lawlors and wardlows are my great great great grandparents on my grandmas side, Daniel lawlor married Mary wardlow , hope this clears up the mystery, mad jack never married but left one hell of a legacy, he is remembered in the role of honours list at the Roddy McCorley bar on the glen road Belfast, there is a Museum there where you can get in depth info on the republican struggles. .lots of Daniels in this family, very confusing

pflanagan132

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 01:44:40 PM »
Thanks Dan.  Sorry your info was too late for inclusion in Echoes of Their Footsteps, Volume III. This hardback of almost 700 pages is available to purchase online at www.generationpublishing.com. Your great uncle, John Patrick Blanc gets a mention on pages 523 and 524. What we have written agrees with what you say. I believe his address in Belfast was 291 Cupar St., rather than 191.Almost half of the book contains a listing of over 1,000 men and women who were imprisoned/interned in the Irish Free State, Northern Ireland and various British prisons in the early 1940s. No similar list exists anywhere.Again, many thanks for your reply. Patrick Flanagan

Dan blong

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 02:39:25 PM »
Thanks for the info, I have bought the book and am looking forward to reading it, good work, itís people like yourself who keep our history alive.