Author Topic: Derriaghy Churchyard - Lookup  (Read 1501 times)

SharonP

Derriaghy Churchyard - Lookup
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »
Hi,
I was reading some old posts from a few years ago on here about a hard to find book that has inscriptions and burial information from the Derriaghy Churchyard. If anyone on the forum still has that book and is able to do look ups I would l really appreciate it. I know there are several CROSBY's buried there including the ones below.
My thanks in advance in anyone is able to help.
Sharon

CROSBY
  Alice
  15/09/1870
  CROSBY
  Hugh
  28/03/1870
  CROSBY
  John
  27/07/1869
  CROSBY
  Mary Ann
  05/01/1893
  CROSBY
  Nancy
  06/12/1882

SharonP

Re: Derriaghy Churchyard - Lookup
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 03:05:10 AM »
Hi James James

Thanks for the link, I had seen that before somewhere - and it mentions the book I was referring to: ChristChurch, Derriaghy Graveyard and Church Inscriptions.
Thanks very much to "melv" who messaged me -  I now have the inscriptions for the Crosby family.

Regards
Sharon

James James

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 03:33:46 AM »
Congratulations, the information might be useful to someone else at some time. If it's O.K. with melv, could you or he perhaps post the link to his forum profile page here, so that anyone else who might wish to contact him about a similar enquiry in the future could do so.

doe

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 09:06:18 PM »
I sent you a PM Sharon. I have those books plus. Doe

belle4

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:24:57 PM »
I live very close to derriaghy churchyard and will happily go and look for graves/take pictures if you, or anyone else wants me to. Just give me a shout.

SharonP

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 02:47:14 AM »
Hi Belle4

That's very kind of you to offer. If you have time and have any luck finding anything, a photo of the Crosby graves would be great.
They are apparently in section N of the churchyard, which according to a map I have is on the left hand (spire) side of the church. I have tried to copy the map here but keep getting an error message,  I can email it to you if you need it.
Kind regards
Sharon

James James

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 03:32:21 AM »

belle4

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »
I could only find the one crosby grave on the left hand side, but let me know and I'll have another wander round!

http://imgur.com/a/KohMw

doe

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 12:00:37 PM »
To Sharon, I am very sorry that I didn't get back to you yet. I have been in the hospital with an Asthma attack as the weather was humid for a few days and my ac is out of order. I will get on it again. My apologies. Doe

doe

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »
I could only find the one crosby grave on the left hand side, but let me know and I'll have another wander round!

http://imgur.com/a/KohMw  The dates are interesting on these headstones as they are different than what Sharon had. I wonder if they are also her people.

SharonP

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 11:44:20 PM »
Hi

Belle4, Sorry I didn't see your post earlier - that's  definitely the right grave, I have the inscriptions which helps decipher the writing on the headstones! Thank you so much for the photo, I really appreciate that.

Doe, hope you are feeling better now. The  family of John Crosby is the ones I was looking for so yes they are "my" Crosby's. Apparently the burial records aren't complete for earlier years so the inscriptions have helped fill in a few gaps!

Regards
Sharon

doe

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 07:42:58 PM »
Hi Sharon, I have gone through the two books and never found one Crosby! Several Crossleys and Crossey, do you think it could be them? I will check the names that you gave against what they  have in the books. I do have some older papers that are of the cemeteries near Derriaghy and some in it. So sorry for the delay I am now doing my pickles etc, and they have to be done or the ingredients will be lost to frost. I am going through the books again as there is so much printed on each page with names. Good luck in the meantime.

SharonP

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 08:28:11 AM »
Hi doe
Thanks very much for looking, I think I have all the ones that were buried at Derriaghy that belong to me, the rest will be somewhere else in Belfast.
Hope your pickles went well  :)

Weedpatch

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 11:53:08 AM »
I live very close to derriaghy churchyard and will happily go and look for graves/take pictures if you, or anyone else wants me to. Just give me a shout.

Hi Belle, I have a number of COULTER family members buried there in Derriaghy Churchyard and would love to know if they are together in a family plot or scattered around the churchyard.  Details of some in the NIFHS document on "Derriaghy Burials and Deaths 1826 - 1928" but would like to find out who else is there from before that date and to glean as much info as possible from the headstones.  Could you possibly take a look for me when you are next there at the churchyard?  I'd very much appreciate it!

Thanks, Tom