Author Topic: st john's falls road  (Read 3650 times)

sapper

st john's falls road
« on: August 01, 2017, 02:09:17 AM »
 need some information on whether St john's near the bottom of the Whiterock road was ever bombed around 1971, family argument need help thanks in advance.

James James

Re: st john's falls road
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 04:20:01 AM »
You're talking about Saint John's Roman Catholic Parish Church on the Falls Road, directly opposite Belfast City Cemetery.

Monday 9th August 1971, Reverend Father Hugh Mullan was the first Catholic priest to be killed in the conflict when he was shot dead by the British Army as he was giving the last rites to a wounded man. His age is given variously as being either 37, 38, or 40.

People of Ballymurphy estate pay their respects to Reverend Father Hugh Mullan as his coffin leaves Corpus Christi Roman Catholic Church after Requiem Mass.

Father Hugh, was killed during Monday night’s bloodbath in Belfast, which occurred after the announcement of internment of terrorists, after attempting to give last rites to a wounded parishioner.

He was curate of St John’s in Falls Road and he will be buried in his home town of Portaferry in County Down, Northern Ireland.

Mourners file past the coffin of Father Hugh Mullan, at Corpus Christi Roman Catholic Church on the Ballymurphy estate after Requiem Mass.

On the 9th of July 1972, Father Noel Fitzpatrick, aged 42, and also of Saint John's Parish Church Falls Road, but based in Corpus Christi Church Springhill, was shot and killed in Springhill Avenue, in similar circumstances.

They are both commemorated on the Ballymurphy Memorial, Divismore Way, Ballymurphy.

sapper

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 05:45:12 AM »
I know the church,but was it bombed that's what I was trying to find out. this was also des Wilson's parish

doare.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 08:23:31 AM »
father padraig murphy was the head man in the late 70s
 and into the 80s, we rented the stone building in the grounds there myself and 2 others

"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

GandT

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »

I know the church,but was it bombed that's what I was trying to find out. this was also des Wilson's parish

There are definitely a few posters on BF who lived and / or worked in and around the parish at that time. You should be able to get a pretty authoritative answer from them. I do not recall any bomb specifically aimed at the church although there may well have been bombs close by. There may also have been an attempt which was defused but I don't know for sure - others might.

RabRow

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:05:41 PM »
father padraig murphy was the head man in the late 70s
 and into the 80s, we rented the stone building in the grounds there myself and 2 others

My uncles use to knock about with him. Didn't he live in Fruithill Park

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 02:10:39 AM »
No sapper St Johns was never bombed  
The truth will set you free        Ballymurphy Massacre Remembered R.I.P

sapper

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 05:33:47 AM »
thank you Ballymurphygirl. this was my old church 10 0'clock childrens mass every sunday packed in like sardines, I was also married there by des wilson

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 05:49:54 AM »
thank you Ballymurphygirl. this was my old church 10 0'clock childrens mass every sunday packed in like sardines, I was also married there by des wilson
I got my first holy communion there sapper lovely wee chapel . Desi still going strong God love him though he had a mishap not long ago his  wee niece is on this forum . Desi one of life's gentlemen X I would've went to mass here before Corpus  Christie was built

GandT

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 09:46:54 AM »

I got my first holy communion there sapper lovely wee chapel . Desi still going strong God love him though he had a mishap not long ago his  wee niece is on this forum . Desi one of life's gentlemen X I would've went to mass here before Corpus  Christie was built

Absolutely correct, BMG. 'A Man for All Seasons'. One who always knew that the message was about action and not just sermonising. Also, in times of great stress, sidelining by Church authorities and perhaps [who knows] personal doubt Desie Wilson never wavered in keeping faith with, and being respected by, the people.

Chris C

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 09:57:16 AM »
 Re St Johns :The only incident I recall was a lady who was tarred and feathered at the railings  surrounding the front of the chapel.The comments about Fr Wilson are spot on, a decent man who was treated shamefully by the Canon.

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »
Re St Johns :The only incident I recall was a lady who was tarred and feathered at the railings  surrounding the front of the chapel.The comments about Fr Wilson are spot on, a decent man who was treated shamefully by the Canon.
he was indeed Chris c tret terrible   We had a few good wee priests in our parish including Fr Mullan and Fr Fitzpatrick both of whom sadly were murdeted it was strange how the church at that time didn't speak out   And then of course we had the lovely Mother Theresa and her wee nuns all of the above in thier time help the people of the community

Chris C

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 12:46:22 PM »
I was an Altar boy in St Johns, knew Fr Wilson , think the Parish Priest when he came to the parish was Fr McAlea, others that come to mind were Fr Maginn, McCall, Leonard. The Sacristan was an oul boy from up the Rock, Christy Convery, Fr McQuillan had the house beside the chapel,his house keeper was Nan Hegarty from Draperstown, he famously used to buy all the Sunday editions of The News of the World from the paper seller, Micky Vernon, at the corner of Hugo Street. The other priests  lived in a large house at the back and to the side of St Kevin's with a road down from the Falls.The Ferguson brothers, Michael and Hugh were on the same Altar boy team and came from up the Rock.

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »
I remember s Fr mc call yes at one stage before corpus Christie was finished they used to do the mass in St Toms school . In my day we had our communion breakfast in st Kevins hall beside St Johns it's been manys a long year since I was in St Johns . My oldest brother was married there 1970

Chris C

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 02:11:45 PM »
Hi BMG, Fr McCall lived in one half of the house that was/is the Rossa, up past the Billboard Inn at the bend on the Falls just before the park. Frequently served mass in record times, gave out communion like he was dealing cards, had his own cruets for wine and water that where at least three times the size of the others, smoked Gallaghers Blues and would send to Sheehans for a bap .