Author Topic: st john's falls road  (Read 3646 times)

sapper

Re: st john's falls road
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 06:16:18 PM »
Fr McCall had an irish wolfhound that I remember, probably got more meat than most people in whiterock

doare.

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 10:53:01 PM »

My uncles use to knock about with him. Didn't he live in Fruithill Park
not sure rab, he was in st peters a while too...
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

sapper

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 06:05:54 AM »
first come across des in st malachy's college

kate.o

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 05:34:08 AM »
I was married in the early 60s
 st johns ,

redzer

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 11:14:20 PM »
There is an awful lot of unwarranted criticism directed at the Late Canon Padraig Murphy. The problem Was William Philbin the bishop. Fact Mother Theresa's nuns left of their own free will in 1972. Fact Des took the status of retired priest  of his own free will back in 1975.

James James

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 06:12:30 AM »
"In Belfast, Mother Teresa ran up against enemies in the Church, leading to a dramatic departure"

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/in-belfast-mother-teresa-ran-up-against-enemies-in-the-church-leading-to-a-dramatic-departure-35017211.html

2011 BBC Northern Ireland TV Documentary...
"Mother Teresa 123 Springhill Avenue"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmLr_VC_M8E
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13037492
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zj194

"The Way I See It: Father Des Wilson"  1 hour video
https://vimeo.com/62178813

redzer

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 06:32:41 AM »
Is this the documentary that says mother teresa met Philbin then wrote to him 'bishop i pray for you for what you said was most unkind'. Canon Murphy was unfairly blamed and tarnished in this situation. As for Des he doesn't even mention the Canon once in his book but does mention at length Philbin and published their correspondence. 

James James

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 08:54:30 AM »
It's a 39 minute video, and it has to speak for itself, and you have to form your own views about it's content. In respect of what you mentioned, watch it from the 11 minute point.

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 10:08:53 AM »
There is an awful lot of unwarranted criticism directed at the Late Canon Padraig Murphy. The problem Was William Philbin the bishop. Fact Mother Theresa's nuns left of their own free will in 1972. Fact Des took the status of retired priest  of his own free will back in 1975.
sadley Cannon  Murphy was not liked by many  of his congregation he certainly didn't care bout the people   This is formed from my own personal opinion of him   Though I'm sure that didn't worry him   Desi Wilson in the other hand helped many people to look forward knowing that some clergy were there to help them through the sad times
The truth will set you free        Ballymurphy Massacre Remembered R.I.P

Chris C

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 09:33:50 PM »
Hi BMG, agree with the view expressed about the Canon. Didn't stop him , in his Board of Governors role, from diverting the funds  raised by his parishioners from the Murph, Whiterock, Springhill and St James to add extensions to St Toms  and extend its lifespan to build St Louise's, a school primarily attended by girls from his old parish.

redzer

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 10:39:15 PM »
Anyone can have their own personal opinion of canon Murphy but that is getting off topic. What is being stated was that he was responsible for getting rid of Mother Theresa and her nuns out of Ballymurphy in 1972. He was not, also that he got rid of Des, he did not, Des remained a priest in St Johns until 1975, as priests both the canon and Des were answerable through their vow of obedience and respect to William Philbin. Dessie to his eternal credit took the honourable step and took the status of retired priest giving him greater freedom. It is interesting that this phantom letter cannot be found that mother Theresa is alleged to have wrote and it is being mentioned suddenly forty years later. What is more striking is that no one from her order the missionaries of Charity has ever in 45 years sought to dispute the official position backed up by the archives of the diocese of Down and Connor that Mother Theresa and her nuns left of their own free will. Very easy not to mention cowardly to blame the canon twenty years after his death.

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 02:18:23 AM »
Canon Murphy was well known within all the parishes he worked in for his ignorant attitude to wimmin . The nuns were not tret very well by him . THAT is a FACT seen by the people around him   Third world nuns coming into one of his parishes was not something that he liked that also was well known within the area the nuns lived . They and Desi  Wilson did more for that community that Canon Murphy ever did   FACT  

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 03:29:59 AM »
Here is an excerpt if an interview with desi  
He says: "I think you are putting your finger on it. I believe Philbin came with the intention of producing a good result in a difficult situation and was content to have Mother Teresa's sisters here. But under the influence of senior clergy on whom he depended for advice, he took their advice and allowed them to put the pressure on (the Sisters to go)."[/font][/size]
Fr Wilson says Canon Murphy, who succeeded Fr McAlea as parish priest of Ballymurphy, "belonged to a group of priest, senior clergy, who had an influence over Bishop Philbin which I think was inordinate and damaging".[/font][/size]

redzer

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 03:59:28 AM »
BMG to suggest that Canon Murphy had an ignorant attitude towards Woman is frankly absurd. I grew up in St johns and remember his kindness and consideration to all people. Senior Clergy does not specifically refer to Canon Murphy and again I make the Point that Mother Theresa and her sisters left of their own free will. As I have said its interesting that the missionaries of Charity themselves have never issued any statement to counter the official line. I totally acknowledge Dessies work in the community but you know something BMG has a lot to take credit for too including st johns which went under a massive refurbishment in the late seventies the expansion of St louises to the fine school it is today and not to mention the clearing of the debt of corpus christi which was paid for by the parishoners of St Johns