Author Topic: st john's falls road  (Read 3943 times)

Ballymurphygirl

Re: st john's falls road
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2017, 04:13:10 AM »
I grew up around Canon  Murphy era for many yrs myself down the falls and up the road he was not a well liked person to most people in the road   He was a very abrupt man   I believe the parishioners paid for most things from the weekly collections    in mass so I would think the parishioners did well in improving the schools  
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 04:23:02 AM »
Hi BMG, agree with the view expressed about the Canon. Didn't stop him , in his Board of Governors role, from diverting the funds  raised by his parishioners from the Murph, Whiterock, Springhill and St James to add extensions to St Toms  and extend its lifespan to build St Louise's, a school primarily attended by girls from his old parish.
some people would have us believe canon Murphy did it   But your right those parishioners  came from all over with what little money they had including the people of the murph   in my day only those from down the road went to St Louises we from the murph and Whiterock springhill had to go to St Roses  
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

James James

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 05:19:17 AM »

2011 BBC Northern Ireland TV Documentary...
"Mother Teresa 123 Springhill Avenue"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmLr_VC_M8E

"April 11th 2011"
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/catholic-church-forced-mother-teresa-out-of-west-belfast-28605177.html

"Catholic Church ‘forced Mother Teresa out of west Belfast' "

Quote...

The Catholic Church drove a saint out of west Belfast, a nun has alleged in a controversial new television documentary.

The Irish nun claims to have solved the mystery of why Mother Teresa, who is being made a saint by the Vatican, pulled her order of nuns out of Ballymurphy in the 1970s.

The Sisters of Charity order, founded by Mother Teresa, set up home in Springhill Avenue in Belfast at the height of the Troubles in October 1971.

Just 18 months later the four nuns suddenly departed, to the surprise of residents. There were whispers the order was not welcomed and were forced out by a priest and bishop.

Sister Eileen Sweeney, who visited the nuns’ Belfast home the day after they left, said she found a torn-up letter written by Mother Teresa which supports the view the nuns were pushed out.

The letter was written to the local bishop, Dr William Philbin, in which she began: “Bishop I feel sorry for you. What you said was most unkind...”

Mother Teresa then agreed to cover up the dispute with the Church for its sake and to prevent bad feeling in the community.

Sister Sweeney, who is now in her 80s and lives in Dublin, said she pieced the letter together to keep as a memento of Mother Teresa but no longer has it.

The programme suggests the parish priest, Canon Padraig Murphy, resented missionaries being sent to Belfast, believing that they should come from the city.

The documentary is screened tonight at 10.35pm on BBC1.  Belfast Telegraph

James James

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 06:44:36 AM »
"THE DAY I MET MOTHER TERESA"

An account by a Belfast born artist, of how, as a schoolboy, he met her in that area, during a shooting incident, and of how she ignored the shooting to come to his assistance.
http://olivermcparland.com/index.php/2016/03/04/the-day-i-met-mother-teresa/

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 08:25:44 AM »

redzer

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2019, 11:32:27 PM »
Could just be that after a while in Ballymurphy Mother Theresa decided the slums of Calcutta weren't so bad afterall.

James James

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 04:41:52 AM »
"4 September 2016"
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-37271224

"Mother Teresa: Service held in west Belfast to mark canonisation"