Author Topic: Donnellys  (Read 1779 times)

Roy7

Donnellys
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »

Donnelly, Malcolmson St, Falls Road, Belfast
Peter Donnelly married Mary Lavery in Loughgall in 1863 and was to move to Malcolmson St, Belfast around 1865.  One of their sons was Alexander James Frazer (very strange fore names) born November 1869.  Alexander would go on to own 2 public houses at 44 and 47 (The Corporation Arms)  Donegall Quay, Belfast between 1897 and 1902 when he died aged 31.  The Belfast Steam Ship Co. offices were located between the bars.  His widow, Elizabeth would marry Patrick McGeeney in the same year and they would go on to own the Crown Bar and another at 50 Gt.Victoria St.  Alexander's son Joseph (born Jan 1900) would later own the Rotterdam Bar in Pilot St and in the 1950s would own his father's previous 2 bars in Donegall Quay.

Alexander was my mother's uncle.  I am trying to finish a family history of the Donnelly's and need a pic of Alexander and Elizabeth and any of their 3 children and.  pics of The Corporation Arms public house   and Waterford St.

Tomred

Re: Donnellys
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »
Roy7, I remember Joe Donnelly very well.He was my great uncle and a dear friend to our family. I can remember staying at their house in Ballycastle as a child.My paternal grandmother ,Theresa McGeeney was his half sister.My great grandfather Paddy McGeeney owned all 5 pubs at one time (Crown,Adelphi,Rotterdam,Amsterdam and Liverpool).

Roy7

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:53:21 AM »
Hi Tomred.  Great to hear from you.  I hope its possible to meet up (if you live in Ireland?) and even if you are on the McGeeney side.    I would love to find out more about Joseph.    Was Patrick McGeeney from Lacklom, Inniskeen, Co Monaghan?    I am not allowed to post my email address here.  We are in Spain until 16th so will try and post a phone number when at home.  We live in Maghera Co.Derry.  Are you in Belfast?

Roy Irvine

Anniemax

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 06:04:02 AM »
I am joe donnellys granddaughter. My mother mary olive was his eldest daughter. She has a lot of the family history if you need anything

Roy7

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 09:22:10 PM »
Hi Anniemax,
Surprise, Surprise. Thank you for getting in touch. It is great to speak to a Donnelly and thank you for the offer of info. Have you done much in regards the Donnelly family history?  I have quiet a bit going back to Blackwatertown which you can have. What I was looking for was photos of Alexander and Elizabeth and their 3 children and his public houses in Corp St. I have included a copy of a wee doc I put together regarding Alexander.
Roy

Alexander James Frazer: There is a record of a marriage for Alexander Donnelly, Spirit  Merchant of 44 Donegal Quay, Belfast and Elizabeth Carlin of 14 Cromac St. Belfast on 17 April 1898 in St.Malachy’s, Belfast.  Elizabeth’s father was Joseph Carlin a hairdresser.
Alexander appears to have done very well for himself, owning 2 public houses, The Liverpool Bar  at 44 Donegall Quay and The Corporation Arms just 2 doors up  at 47 Donegall Quay and corner of Corporation Square, Belfast  which then were valued at a total of £3000 in 1900 or £300,000 in 2017.  They had 3 children, Agnes (b 19/01/1899), Joseph (b 4/01/1900) and Mary (b 8/12/1900). The 1901 Census lists Alexander (Donnelly) having a live in servant and 3 assistants. How did he arrive at this grand status?
Alexander died on 26 Feb 1902, aged 31 living at 47 Donegall Quay, Belfast.
I found his Will, made on the day of his death, in which he left everything to his wife and children equally but without appointing an executor.  Elizabeth appears to have applied to the Court to administer the will.  However Peter Donnelly objected through the Courts, and made an application on behalf of Alexander’s 3 children, that  in order to protect their interest in their father’s estate, the Court should administer the estate instead of Elizabeth.
I also found a second marriage for Elizabeth on 25 Jan 1903.  She married Patrick McGeeney, a Vintner who owned a bar at 15 Corporation Sq and who at the time of the marriage was living at 47 Donegall Quay.  Minnie Donnelly (possibly my granny) was a witness at the marriage.  In the 1911 Census they are still living at 47 Donegall Quay and now have a further 4 children.  Alexander’s 3 children kept the Donnelly surname.  By 1924 McGeeney also owned the Rotterdam Bar at 54 Pilot St.  Elizabeth died in October 1935 at her home at 46 Great Victoria Street.  It was a public house owned by her husband which today we know as the world famous Crown Bar. In 1935 the McGeeneys’ also owned another public house at No.50 Gt.Victoria Street, The Adelphi and still owned the bar at 44 Donegall Quay which Alexander had owned.  A death insertion re Elizabeth’s death from her son and daughter in law Joseph and Jean Donnelly listed them living at 52&54 Pilot Street, Belfast which is none other than the Rotterdam Bar.  Joseph would in later years go on to own both of his father’s former public houses in Donegall Quay.

Anniemax

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 10:48:59 AM »
Hi roy. Im having trouble finding my way around this site and cant send personal reply directly. I am sure i can find you the photos you would like . Either thru my mother olive here in nz or my aunt collette who is in ireland still. How can i send them to you .

Gail123

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 09:08:57 AM »
That's very interesting.

Roy7

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 07:51:33 PM »
Hi Anniemax,
Just in case. .I sent a "personal email" which I hope you are able to read.
Roy

TonylD

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 08:19:04 PM »
Hi, my name is Anthony  (Tony) Donnelly, youngest of four children.  My father Thomas (Tommy) Donnelly was the youngest son of Joseph Donnelly.  My dad died when I was 10, I would be delighted for any help to trace my family tree.  Thanks in advance

Roy7

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 11:00:15 AM »
Donnelly, Malcolmson St, Falls Road, Belfast
Peter Donnelly married Mary Lavery in Loughgall in 1863 and was to move to Malcolmson St, Belfast around 1865.  One of their sons was Alexander James Frazer (very strange fore names) born November 1869.  Alexander would go on to own 2 public houses at 44 and 47 (The Corporation Arms)  Donegall Quay, Belfast between 1897 and 1902 when he died aged 31.  The Belfast Steam Ship Co. offices were located between the bars.  His widow, Elizabeth would marry Patrick McGeeney in the same year and they would go on to own the Crown Bar and another at 50 Gt.Victoria St.  Alexander's son Joseph (born Jan 1900) would later own the Rotterdam Bar in Pilot St and in the 1950s would own his father's previous 2 bars in Donegall Quay.

Alexander was my mother's uncle.  I am trying to finish a family history of the Donnelly's and need a pic of Alexander and Elizabeth and any of their 3 children and.  pics of The Corporation Arms public house   and Waterford St.

Anniemax

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 05:01:47 PM »
Hi tony . This joe donnelly only had one son . Paul who never had children of his own .

Paul Donnelly

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »
Hi Roy Irvine. Paul Donnelly here. I found some of the material that you unearthed about my family fascinating and in parts different from what I have been told. It would be good to be in touch with you if that be possible.