Author Topic: Welcome to Belfast Forum - Please read.  (Read 324730 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Welcome to Belfast Forum - Please read.
« on: February 02, 2006, 01:25:40 PM »
Hello and welcome to Belfast Forum. Feel free to discuss any issues relating to this great city (and it's suburbs) in these boards. Remember to bookmark this site and come back often to help make this a lively community and great resource for all.

To post messages please register by clicking the button at the top.

Feel free to introduce yourself by replying to this post.

Registered users can receive an email when someone posts a new topic. Just hit the 'notify' button on each board you are interested in.

When you become a Jr. Member (25+ posts) you have access to further privileges such as avatars, signatures, notification settings, etc.

Please do not advertise or promote other websites in your posts or by messaging our members, except for adverts in the following boards :
Classifieds - personal local ads only. No links to other web sites.
Attractions & Events - to promote a local event or gig etc.
Links - If you have a Belfast related website and you would like a link here please send me a personal message (click my name). Normally we would expect a reciprocal link in return.

Only ads relevent to Belfast are allowed. Anything else will probably be deleted.

And finally a reminder that the forum rules can be found here.

Chris.

Doug Eastman

Re: Welcome to Belfast Forum - Please read.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 03:26:28 AM »
Hello All.  I'm new to this forum.  I live in Nanaimo, British Columbia.  On Vancouver Island off Canada's beautiful west coast.  I've never been to Belfast. so please forgive me if I seem ill-informed.  My great grandparents John Balfour and Ellen Lunney came to Toronto, Ontario, Canada from Belfast in 1886 and 1887.

I'll post my questions in the other rooms.

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 04:13:11 AM »
Great to have you here Doug. What a good idea posting on this thread. I'm surprised no one else thought of posting here and introducing themselves. Posting here lets Chris know we've read the message and know the rules. We forget them occasionally but we're still talking to each other.

EllCee

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 08:42:44 PM »
Hello All.  I'm new to this forum.  I live in Nanaimo, British Columbia.  On Vancouver Island off Canada's beautiful west coast. 

Hi Doug, we have a longtime friend, from England, who runs a graphic/printing business in Nanaimo.

Enjoy the board.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

jimbo

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 12:13:43 PM »
20 odd years ago, during a visit to Belfast, I took some photos of children in various parts of the city. I'll be visiting in the next couple of weeks from Canada and thought I'd like to drop some of these photos off.

I have addresses but I think there has been a lot of rebuilding and I suppose these families have moved on because I can't find them or the addresses in any Belfast directories. I'll be checking out some of your boards to see if I can get some help in locating them.
They were:
R. Barr from Ross Road
T. Rogers from Brussels Street
J. McParlind from Dunlewey Street

They'd all be in their thirties now but I think they'd enjoy having them. I'd love to drop the photos off when I'm in Belfast or mail them at a later date. In the meantime I'll try and figure out which board will be best to locate them.

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 12:22:15 PM »
Don't you dare put the message on the Genealogy Board, jimbo :D Eddie McIlwaine of the Belfast Telegraph might give a helping hand with this one. I've sent him a message as I'm chasing publicity for the site .. at the moment I have the only T shirt with the site logo that I know about .. I getting link backs too. I hope you have no objection to my using your message in my message to Eddie.

maurizio

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 03:40:36 PM »
tks a lot indeed for  your usual friendly manners and welcome
will certainly  visit the forum with much pleasure

tks
rgds

Mr Bounce

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 11:22:11 PM »
Hi my name is Liam,i have really enjoyed reading all the topics.This forum has only come from an invitation to link my site to this one which you get quite often but having seen the craic thought i may be able to contribute in some way.
Anyway im 43 two kids, Ellen 3 1/2,Conor 2,Cathy my wife.
Have some good photos i will put up when i get a new one,my wee fella banjaxed it but of course that word belongs in a different topic.
be good- liam

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 11:27:31 PM »
Hiya Liam,

Welcome to the Forum. Thank you for introducing your family. That's a good touch. I hope a few others follow your example. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of old Belfast that you mentioned.

All the Best, Chris.

eastender

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 02:18:21 AM »
Born off the Antrim Road just before the Matthews Cup Final, but 'grew up' like the username says, in the east end of the Big Smoke.
Went to Greenwood, Strandtown and Ashfield schools.
Familiar with all the areas around those schools and the Knock/Gilnahirk area during the 60s.
Learned about Canada in Ashfield, and always fancied living there.
Have lived in Calgary and Edmonton for the past 30+ years.
Married to a Canadian and have one son.
We go back to the Belfast area every couple of years, so I have quite a few photos I can share with the forum if you want.
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

BABS35

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 11:09:56 AM »
 ;D hi everyone its a    pleasure to b able   to come on this site brilliant   site an very friendly :-*

Frank

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 06:50:09 PM »
Hi everyone,should have said Hello earlier but I was to busy taking in the site and remembering things about home that go to the back of your mind when you've been away to long.
Glad I found this site & thanx in particular to old belfast words & sayings.
Theres only one cure for home sickness

BEAUTIFUL

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 06:50:42 PM »
HELLO FRANK

Frank

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 07:47:55 PM »
Hello Beautiful. (I do hope your female)
Theres only one cure for home sickness

BEAUTIFUL

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 07:52:49 PM »
all of me