Author Topic: Trying to find records of Children's Shelter at 103 Great Victoria Street in1911  (Read 829 times)

brummie23

Hi this is my first post and I am new Co Antrim research. I have three ancestor's who I have located on the 1911 census as being "Inmate of Shelter"  located at 103 Great Victoria Street, Antrim Belfast.  [/font][size=0pt][/size]
 [/font]
They are Robert (11), Martha (8) & Sarah (5) ADAIR, all born in Belfast. I am trying to trace their parents and ancestors. I have Robert going forward, but anecdotally have been told that Martha and Sarah, were moved from the "home" to Scotland possibly Glasgow.[/font]
 [/font]
I have checked the births for them and can find a Sarah born to Robert Adair and Sarah Hill (m. 6 Sep 1901) born on 16 Jul 1906 (5) . I then found the following siblings, Mary Ann Hiden - 5 Jun 1903 (8), Elizabeth Hunter 4 Dec 1904 (7), no Martha nor any death for either nor a matching Robert. [/font]
 [/font]
I found a Sarah born to Robert Adair and Lizzie Stewart (m. 30 May 1898) born on 16 Dec 1904 (7), I then found the following siblings, John - 4 Nov 1902 (9), Anne - 17 Sep 1907 (4), Margaret - 13 Apr 1910 (1). (After the census William McAllister - 21 Dec 1911 & Agnes Stewart - 30 Aug 1914.) No matching Robert. [/font]
 [/font]
There was another Sarah born to an mother with a maiden name Orr and the situation is similar.[/font]
 [/font]
The only Belfast Martha ADAIR born after 1900 was in 1909 so to young and I can't find a Robert with a Sarah as a sibling.[/font]
 [/font]
Another Martha ADAIR was born 16 Feb 1903 Drummavaddy, Co Down, to Samuel Adair and Emily Grainger, they had a Sarah but she was born in the same area, 8 Sep 1901 so this rules her out.[/font]
 [/font]
I think the only find them and their parents is too see if there is a copy of the Childrens Shelter Register, to see who enrolled them into it in the first place.[/font]
 [/font]
I would appreciate if anyone had any leads as to the name of the institution and how I might find the registers? [/font]
 [/font]
Any other insights as to how I might identify the three children would be great.[/font]
 [/font]
Take care[/font]
 [/font]
Matt[/font]
Perth W. Australia[/font]

James James

That's barely legible because of all those formatting characters that this forum displays depending on how you added your text, it usually happens with copy and paste, unless you write or paste your text into a simple word processor program, and then copy it from that and paste it into your forum message.

Hi this is my first post and I am new Co Antrim research.

I have three ancestor's who I have located on the 1911 census as being "Inmate of Shelter" located at 103 Great Victoria Street, Antrim Belfast.

My note... that should be Belfast Antrim.

They are Robert (11), Martha (8) & Sarah (5) ADAIR, all born in Belfast.

I am trying to trace their parents and ancestors.

I have Robert going forward, but anecdotally have been told that Martha and Sarah, were moved from the "home" to Scotland possibly Glasgow.

I have checked the births for them and can find a Sarah born to Robert Adair and Sarah Hill (m. 6 Sep 1901)... born on 16 Jul 1906 (5) .

I then found the following siblings,...
Mary Ann Hiden - 5 Jun 1903 (8),

Elizabeth Hunter 4 Dec 1904 (7),...

no Martha nor any death for either nor a matching Robert.

I found a Sarah born to Robert Adair and Lizzie Stewart (m. 30 May 1898) born on 16 Dec 1904 (7),...

I then found the following siblings,...

John - 4 Nov 1902 (9),...

Anne - 17 Sep 1907 (4),...

Margaret - 13 Apr 1910 (1)...

(After the census William McAllister - 21 Dec 1911 & Agnes Stewart - 30 Aug 1914.)

No matching Robert.

There was another Sarah born to an mother with a maiden name Orr and the situation is similar.

The only Belfast Martha ADAIR born after 1900 was in 1909 so too young,... and I can't find a Robert with a Sarah as a sibling.

Another Martha ADAIR was born 16 Feb 1903 Drummavaddy, Co Down, to Samuel Adair and Emily Grainger,... they had a Sarah but she was born in the same area, 8 Sep 1901 so this rules her out.

I think the only find them and their parents is too see if there is a copy of the Childrens Shelter Register, to see who enrolled them into it in the first place.

I would appreciate if anyone had any leads as to the name of the institution and how I might find the registers?

Any other insights as to how I might identify the three children would be great.

Take care  Matt  Perth W. Australia

James James

Look under Victoria Street Great, in 1910 number 103 was vacant ground.
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/tuvcomplete1910.htm

In 1918 it was Tenement dwelling house.
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/tuvcomplete1918.htm

I doubt if 103 was the premises street number, it's more likely to be the census enumerator's property reference number.

Census transcripts aren't enough, look at all the original census documents.

It was run by the Children's Aid Society.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001460986/

In Belfast always state religious denomination, it's often relevant, and list the urls of any census records.

Presbyterian.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__George_s/Great_Victoria_St_/156891/

Have you seen this record source yet. ?
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/irish-records-what-is-available/civil-records

James James

In this case all of the census documents are coming up as 103 Great Victoria Street being the actual street address number. Those street directories were dated April, as far as I recall, but somebody will confirm or correct that, the 1911 census was dated 2nd April, I was thinking that perhaps there was a connection with the organisation and premises below, and maybe there was a date overlap that influenced the records, but I can't figure how that might have happened,... anyway check this out and see if it looks like it might be relevant or not. http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/BelfastDB/

In the 1910 street directory = 110. Dr. Barnardo's Ever Open Door - Rev. W. G. Anderson, resident agent
Not a direct match with the census records, but I suspect that there may be a connection.

James James

Australia. ? Could any of your ancestors have been Home Children. ? If so, that suggests outward bound U.K. passenger lists, and they are available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Children

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/CAS/

brummie23

Hi James James, thanks for all the help. I have had a look through all the links and it looks like I can't get that break through.

Was it unusual to forget to register children's births in Belfast around this time?

It is just so odd that I can't find even two of the children's birth registrations to have matching parents. 

Anyway thanks again for your help.

Matt.

CMcG

From the Belfast Newsletter of 19 September 1911:

ULSTER CHILDREN'S AID SOCIETY.
Record of the Work Done.
Since it commenced operations at the end of June last year the Ulster Children's Aid Society has accomplished an enormous amount of work, and the need for such an organisation has been amply demonstrated by the number and class of cases which have been dealt with ... the Children's Aid Society, which seeks to rescue children from destitution and vagrancy, and from immoral and criminal surroundings, and, by placing them in suitable institutions or under proper guardianship, to give them a chance of becoming respectable citizens ... The offices are situated at 103 Great Victoria Street, and here also is accommodation for children who have to be cared for pending the finding of a permanent home for them ... Ten children can be accommodated at this "shelter", which is kept scrupulously neat and clean, and the temporary boarders seem to enjoy themselves immensely at the games and recreations which are provided for their benefit.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

brummie23

Thanks for clarifying the address CMcG, much appreciated.

James James

If you'd read the links properly you'd see that The Children's Aid Society Records were deposited with Barnardo's and are still accessible.

Nadia Shannon

Hi my relatives were all in the shelter at the same time on the 1911 census as the Adair children. They were Giles and George Shannon I believe they were sent to Canada. I can find George through army records in Canada but not Giles. Any advice or help would be great

Bread Basket

Hi there,
Looks like George & Giles had other siblings

Bread Basket

Edward has been placed with his Grandparents (Scanlon’s)

At this stage I cannot see Elizabeth

Bread Basket

George(Father) plumber died

Bread Basket

Elizabeth went on to remarry a few years later

Possible that she kept her child Elizabeth with her

Bread Basket

This could be Elizabeth & her 2nd husband John Galway.  ages are about right... maybe a difference than shown on wedding registration.
Note the death notice for Elizabeth only states “her daughter” looks a possibility that this may have been Elizabeth, no children by 2nd marriage????.  🤔🤔🤔