Author Topic: Northern Ireland's future at risk without post-Brexit customs deal, says Hain  (Read 75851 times)

Number26

Re: Northern Ireland's future at risk without post-Brexit customs deal, says Hain
« Reply #1336 on: December 10, 2019, 08:32:40 AM »
Am I the only one baffled by the s.d.l.p,s stance in the elections.they attack Sinn Fein on their election broadcast and in debates about abstention from the commons but give them a free run in north Belfast ???

JackM

Re: Northern Ireland's future at risk without post-Brexit customs deal, says Hain
« Reply #1337 on: December 10, 2019, 12:38:10 PM »
Am I the only one baffled by the s.d.l.p,s stance in the elections.they attack Sinn Fein on their election broadcast and in debates about abstention from the commons but give them a free run in north Belfast ???

I put it down to their current leader, an angry, bitter confused little man.   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

GandT

« Reply #1338 on: December 10, 2019, 12:48:43 PM »

The point you make is entirely valid if one believes that NI presence at British parliament has, or ever has had, any significant influence on what British politicians want to do in the interests of GB. Since the SDLP do seem to believe this, there is an illogicality in their stance in north Belfast. However, since all parties [including the UUP] have engaged in attempted carve-ups on the basis of Brexit [unclear in the case of the UUP withdrawal from north Belfast] and even reneged on statements to engage in ALL constituencies, principled stands have gone out the window.

The same hypocrisy could be levelled at all parties about recent legislation coming from Westminster on equal marriage and abortion - especially the allegedly abstentionist SF which spoke to Westminster parties and asked the British parliament to legislate for what they say is part of the Ireland over which the British parliament have no legitimate authority [according to SF]. This is before examining some of the even more farcical dancing of DUP around a range of matters!

CMcG

« Reply #1339 on: December 10, 2019, 04:21:03 PM »

... The point you make is entirely valid if one believes that NI presence at British parliament has, or ever has had, any significant influence on what British politicians want to do in the interests of GB.

And that betrays your huge ignorance of the Irish Protestant / Unionist psyche, within this part of the British Isles.  I'm not going to do your work, come back when you feel that you have any greater insight, let's see if you have made any baby steps that Irish Protestants / Unionists with a British heritage spanning back thousands of years can relate to.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

bjay

« Reply #1340 on: December 10, 2019, 05:01:52 PM »

Am I the only one baffled by the UUP stance in the elections. They attack DUP on their election broadcast and in debates but give them a free run in North Belfast ???

Billy Fish

« Reply #1341 on: December 10, 2019, 08:59:29 PM »
Am I the only one baffled by the UUP stance in the elections. They attack DUP on their election broadcast and in debates but give them a free run in North Belfast ???

They want to keep Sinn Fein - IRA out, as do all decent people.  :P :P :P
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

pete57

« Reply #1342 on: December 10, 2019, 09:58:18 PM »
And that betrays your huge ignorance of the Irish Protestant / Unionist psyche, within this part of the British Isles.  I'm not going to do your work, come back when you feel that you have any greater insight, let's see if you have made any baby steps that Irish Protestants / Unionists with a British heritage spanning back thousands of years can relate to.
I agree with your synopsis and your reply.

Monkey Nuts

« Reply #1343 on: December 10, 2019, 10:05:13 PM »

Thousands of years????  Really.

pete57

« Reply #1344 on: December 10, 2019, 10:10:28 PM »

Thousands of years? ???  Really.

Well, who were native Irish  ???   Really ?

CMcG

« Reply #1348 on: December 10, 2019, 10:38:22 PM »

Thousands of years? ???  Really.

Duh... where do you think my family came from?  Do you think they just magically appeared from nowhere during the reformation in the 16th century?  Or can you manage the concept that they were around long before that and lived in these British Isles?

::)

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

James James

« Reply #1349 on: December 10, 2019, 10:40:59 PM »
https://www.allianceparty.org/people_s_vote_most_democratic_way_out_of_brexit_mess_says_farry

Quote,...

Dr Farry said the chaos which has been caused by the Brexit vote would only be compounded if we left the EU.

Brexit hasn’t happened but already it has caused increased chaos and division to our society. It is a major reason the Assembly has not been restored and it presents a serious challenge to the Good Friday Agreement, as well as our economy and vision for a more shared and prosperous future.

The people of Northern Ireland voted to Remain, with even many of those who originally supported Brexit now opposing it, particularly a disastrous no deal Brexit.

The unicorn Brexit promised to people over three years ago cannot be delivered and never could have been.

It is therefore only right people have the opportunity to give their final judgement on an issue which will define us for generations to come.

“Alliance has been at the forefront of calling for a People’s Vote from the beginning of this process, including securing support from several local Councils, and the momentum for it has grown across the U.K.

Alliance MPs will take their seats at Westminster to vote against Brexit and push for a People’s Vote, giving voters the opportunity to remain in the heart of the EU, playing a full and constructive role in shaping its future and ours in cooperation with our nearest neighbours and partners.”