Author Topic: Finding marriage/death for Hugh Mccleery  (Read 244 times)

Jackiedriscoll

Finding marriage/death for Hugh Mccleery
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:25:17 AM »
i wonder if anyone can help. I am looking for the above man and the only details I have are that he was at his son's wedding in Dublin in 1858 as he is named as farther on certificate and that he had 2 children John and Robert. Sony information as to where the best place is to start looking for info or whether the chances of finding anything are slight. I think he was a Belfast man. Many thanks.

Jackiedriscoll

JimG

Re: Finding marriage/death for Hugh Mccleery
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 11:38:36 AM »
     can you supply any more information about which son of Hugh married in 1858 Dublin including their details inc his and her denomination etc
I searched unsuccessfully examples
from http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Mc/McCleary.htm
Hugh   McCLEARY     .           Ballyphilip      of Portaferry; a baker; implicated in United Irishmen Rebellion c. 1797          MOA p62
Hugh   McCLEERY     .           Ballyphilip      will probated in 1836; executor was R. McCleery of Portaferry IIW # 44487
Hugh   McCLEARY     .           Drumbo          married Mary McBride 8 Apr 1859 at Drumbo Presbyterian Church   EA/CR
Hugh   McCLEERY     .           Killinchy         married Agnes Withers 24 Aug 1835 at Killinchy Presbyterian Church           PR
Robert            McCLEERY     .           Tullylish         married Jane Dickson 23 Jul 1858 at Tullylish Church of Ireland          EA/CR
SO WAS IT John who married Dublin or wrong family

I tried familysearch.org and emerald ancestor who have entries but I could not link
hopefully onwards

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 02:05:10 PM »
Yes, the marriage record (below) cited Hugh as the father, but that doesn't mean he was at the marriage, indeed he could have been deceased, what evidence is there that he was at the marriage?
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=d-298-3-7-112

If the following link was John's brother Robert in the 1901 census, his stated birthplace of County Louth might suggest a longer term McCleery family association with Dundalk (ie. before John and Nannie Usher got married and had children there):
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__George_s_Ward_Belfast/Shaftsbury_Square/967386/

Online householder lists and valuation office books suggest the presence of a Hugh McCleery in Dundalk back to 1837-38 at least. What is the evidence to support him being a Belfast man?

Looking at Belfast, there was a Hugh McCleery of 3 Michael Street who was listed as a writing clerk in the 1852 Belfast street directory, while the occupation has a family resonance, there is nothing else to tie him in. There was also a Hugh McCleery of 21 Thomas Street Belfast who died aged 56 at the start of March 1857 whose family had the wherewithal to have a death notice placed (not common for the period), his wife Mary died before him aged 59 on 17 March 1855 at 4 Thomas Street Belfast, but again, there is no other information to work on and absolutely nothing else to tie him in.

The bottom line is that if Hugh married c. early-mid 1820s and died pre civil registration, you may struggle to gain much traction.

Jackiedriscoll

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »
Ugh! I hadn't considered that Hugh might have died before his son's wedding as it didn't say deceased! Hugh had 2 sons at least.  John( who married Nannie Usher in Dublin 1858) and Robert who died in Lisburn in 1905. He was a bachelor and had lived in Belfast as had John which led me to believe that his father was a Belfast man. It is possible that they were from the Dundalk area as John did stay there after he was married. I think Robert was his brother as his obituary was signed by G and H Mccleery who I think were nephews George and Hugh Mccleery who are definitely part of the family. I think that maybe the Hugh mentioned in Dundalk may be the one I am looking for.
Do you think there is any use trying to find a grave in the area? I know that at this stage they were Protestant. I've found several of the family graves when I visited Dundalk last year. Do you know where I would look.
Thanks again for your help. I am in the UK so searching on the ground is quite difficult.

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 11:08:01 PM »

... Do you think there is any use trying to find a grave in the area? I know that at this stage they were Protestant. I've found several of the family graves when I visited Dundalk last year. Do you know where I would look.
Thanks again for your help. I am in the UK so searching on the ground is quite difficult.

IMHO when a civil or church marriage record doesn't specify that the father is alive or deceased/dead, it's simply an unknown and you can't assume either way. I've seen loads of marriage records where I know the father was deceased but there was no such mention in the record.

The forename/surname combination of Hugh McCleery or McCleary wasn't exactly plentiful on the ground, so to see the presence of one in Dundalk in 1837/38, given that John McCleery and Nannie Usher lived there in the late 1850s (if not before) and brought up their family there and given that the 1901 census indicated that Robert McCleery was born in County Louth circa 1831, is more than reasonable grounds to focus the search for Hugh in Dundalk. Yes, Hugh might have originated from somewhere else, but the Dundalk lead is begging to be pursued.  I don't have any insight into Co. Louth genealogy, hopefully someone else will, the ideal might be to find a local (Dundalk) history/genealogy society.

Jackiedriscoll

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 07:47:49 AM »
Thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated. I'm going to get in touch with the library in Dundalk that seems to have a genealogy department to see if they can help.

CMcG

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 09:20:06 AM »
That's a good idea, resources available online aren't providing much in the way of hits, for example, Pigot's 1824 and Slater's 1846 directories show no mention of anyone called McCleery (or variants) in their Dundalk listings. 

CMcG

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »
No additional clues to help per se, but just for the record, here's sight of a digitised copy of the original documentation to confirm that a Hugh McCleery was occupying a 'house office and yard' in Barrack Street Dundalk (entry line no. 33), the date of valuation was 16 October 1838:
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007250699_00859.pdf