Author Topic: Anyone on forum remember miliken street  (Read 1120 times)

Paula mc

Anyone on forum remember miliken street
« on: October 22, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »
Hi all my mum Patricia (patsy) Kelly lived at 17 miliken street and my aunt madge Barr worked in o'malley bakery at the top of the street any stories or photos would be appreciated thanks Paula

arkie two

Re: Anyone on forum remember miliken street
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:30:48 PM »
Hi all my mum Patricia (patsy) Kelly lived at 17 miliken street and my aunt madge Barr worked in o'malley bakery at the top of the street any stories or photos would be appreciated thanks Paula     PAULA O MALLEY'S HOME BAKERY WAS OPPOSITE THE FALLS RD. BATHS NOT AT THE TOP OF MILLIKEN ST. IT WAS FACING THE DIAMOND PICTURE HOUSE FALLS RD.

Paula mc

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 12:08:17 AM »
Hi arkietwo thanks for your reply just reunited with my cousin after 31years she remembers miliken street well as she lived there until she was 6 and then went to England with her mum and dad she remembers our aunt madge putting her into cinema and going to work in o malloys bakery she thought the bakery was at the top of street
Regards Paula

James James

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:10:26 AM »
Milliken Street.

It joined the Falls Road at 106 Falls Road... in 1960, that was  Kathleen & Agnes McIlroy, confectioners, then on the other corner of Milliken Street on the Falls Road at 108 Falls Road was Mrs. I. Kennedy, green grocer.

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/images/1960BSD/1960strs%200263.jpg

Joseph O'Malley, Home Bakery was at 70 Falls Road.

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/fcomplete1960.htm

So being an even number, that would be on the same side of the Falls Road as the junction of the Falls Road and Milliken Street.

James James

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:24:24 AM »
Belfast Corporation Public Baths were at 15-17 Falls Road at the corner of Falls Road and North Howard Street, on the northern side of Falls Road.

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/fcomplete1960.htm

That's the same address as the present day Falls Leisure Centre.

Modern map...  http://tinyurl.com/yckupyno

Milliken Street ran between the Falls Road at it's northern end, and Ross Street at it's southern end, so it would have joined the south side of Falls Road in that area.

Here you go, Milliken Street is the street marked with the coloured line, it was between Balaclava Street and Panton Street, and the bakers would have been to the east of Milliken Street.

Paula mc

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 11:35:35 AM »
Thank you James I'm to young to remember miliken street but I do remember Conway street were I lived with my mum dad brother and sister my mums mother died at 45 and she asked her sister madge to look after her children so my granda Kelly worked nights and my aunt madge worked days in 0MAllOYS then when we all started to arrive she looked after us her great nieces and nephews my cousin Jackie who I have just reunited with has been telling all her memories of miliken street
Regards paula

arkie two

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:25:26 AM »
Hi arkietwo thanks for your reply just reunited with my cousin after 31years she remembers miliken street well as she lived there until she was 6 and then went to England with her mum and dad she remembers our aunt madge putting her into cinema and going to work in o malloys bakery she thought the bakery was at the top of street
Regards Paula
  o MALLEYS HOME BAKERY WAS RENTED OUT TO TWO BROTHERS JOE AND BRENDAN THE SHOP WAS FACING THE FALLS BATHS IT WAS NEXT DOOR THE THE WELL KNOWN  RAB MAGUIRES BARBERS. I PROB. KNEW YOUR FAMILY.

Brendanmcauley

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 03:01:38 PM »
My wife’s granda lived in 19 He was called mc Convery

Paula mc

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 02:24:36 PM »
Hi Brendan thanks for reply the name mcconvery and Carmichael ring a bell with me my mum Patricia was the youngest of 6 her mother Elizabeth Kelly died when she was 5 so my aunt madge along with my granda Kelly brought them up then when my mum and dad got married they moved in to 66 Conway st and our next door neighbour was also mcconvery any connection with your wife regards paula

Paula mc

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 03:53:18 PM »
Hi arkietwo my mum was the youngest of 6 children to (wee Jonny) John Kelly and Elizabeth Barr there was Maureen . Peggy. Billy. Josephine.sean. and my mum trisha. or patsy ring any bells regards paula

arkie two

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 10:11:26 AM »
Hi arkietwo my mum was the youngest of 6 children to (wee Jonny) John Kelly and Elizabeth Barr there was Maureen . Peggy. Billy. Josephine.sean. and my mum trisha. or patsy ring any bells regards paula
    i'm horrible with names. I must have known them. those were the days.