Author Topic: Belfast linnen mills  (Read 2111 times)

maggs24

Belfast linnen mills
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:01:11 AM »
Hi. Im wanting to find people who worked in mills in belfast. I worked in falls flax spinning mill on cupar street 1977 till 1980. 

davyb

Re: Belfast linnen mills
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 04:04:44 PM »
Hi Mags I worked there at the same time old Doc Halliday was the foreman, I worked with Billy Irvine on the card machine

maggs24

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »
Hi davyb. I remember  billy irvine and doc halliday well.  I was a winder and spinner. There was georgie mc alister, david ( cant remember his second name.  We all knew each other. names are hard to remember. Its been that long ago.  I worked with ellen burrows,  jean brown and jacqueline douey. And couple other girls.  Good days. Fond memories :) 

davyb

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:01:39 PM »
Mags the David you knew was me David Butler I had hair back in them days.I can remember you but not your surname.Remember the time you came in in tears over the death of Elvis.Geordie living in England,I'm still living local up in Highield and yes it was a great place to work

davyb

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:08:08 PM »
Some other ladies Harriet McKnight Marrion Mcallister and her daughter Angela and then there was Billy Ball and Billy Johnson

maggs24

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 08:22:16 PM »
Davyb. Ach i remember you well david.  We had some laughs.  So  geordie lives in england. Do you keep in touch with him?  Are you married? Any family?   True i was crying when elvis died.   Cant believe you remember that lol.  Fond memories david.  We were young  and tried to grow up too fast. And yes you did have a good set of hair.  Small world. . Great times 😊

maggs24

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
Yeah. Remembet them all well.  The names are all coming back to me now.  Maggie jean browns aunt  was really nice.

davyb

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
Havnt heard of Geordie for years and yes I'm married with 2 sons a daughter and 8 grandsons .Maggie Tinsley was as you say a lovely woman,What about wee Delilah think she done a bit of cleaning.Where you living yourself

maggs24

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 08:45:16 PM »
Thats good to hear. Delliah was a cleaner.  Im married and living off shankill. Moved here 8yrs ago. Ive two sons. We just became grandparents  2 yrs ago. My youngest sons children.  One grandson coming 2yrs old  and grandaughter coming 1yr old. Thought we were never gona be grandparents. I last seen geordie in 80s at windsor club.  But only said hello to him. 

davyb

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 08:50:10 PM »
Take it you moved away at one time then came back to Shankill.Can you remember Davy Glover from the mill went on to join RAF.

maggs24

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 09:19:05 PM »
Yeah.  My husband was in army. Hes from east belfast. He was a friend of my brother. We lived in england for a yr. Then berlin for 2 years. Then ballymena for 4yrs we . After we left army we lived in east belfast. . We did move alot lol. But we got wee bungalow over here.  Ive heard that name. But cant put face to it.  It will probably come to me later .

davyb

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 09:22:18 PM »
Wise man from the east that's where the wife was from.Still trying to think off your surname.Hope he supports the Glens coming from over the east

maggs24

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 09:40:34 PM »
Yeah.   He came from cregagh  road  near woodstock road.   Caldwell was my surname. Was nice to hear from you david.  Many memories are flooding back  remembering the mill. 

davyb

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 09:44:19 PM »
Now I remember if any other names come to mind give me a shout.

maggs24

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 09:47:47 PM »
Will do. You and family take care.