Author Topic: Belfast linnen mills  (Read 2110 times)

davyb

Re: Belfast linnen mills
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 10:14:58 PM »
Hi Margaret some other names spinner Ruth Mary Geraldine then there was Billy Brown Sam Mccammond and young Billy Irvine if I remember right he died on holiday drowned I think.

maggs24

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 10:49:50 PM »
Hi david. Yes i remember Ruth and Mary. I think i remember geraladine. I can see her face in my mind. I remember young billy irvine. But dont remember the other names. I can remember faces. There was a woman who lived off woodvale ave and she was a spinner.  But i cant remember her name.  I knew  a billy brown from wilton street. Dont know if its the same one you mentioned.  That was sad about young billy irvine. 

davyb

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »
Maybe Molly or Helen Miller

maggs24

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »
I cant remember david. Sorry. Just remember ellen, jacquline, jean , mary and you   geordie. The irvines. I still keep in touch with jacquline and see jean now and again. But maybe the names will come to me later. Il tryn think if i remember anyone else. There was a girl that started in the mill who i worked with on spinning. But she left and cant remember her name as she wasnt there long.

tomas_tb

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 01:05:20 AM »
Hi folks, Just saw the posts. I worked in Falls Flax at the time, Tommy Brennan, I was an apprentice electrician to Billy Johnson. I can remember you Davy. Some of the names  I remember were Billy Ferguson (fitter) his brother Cecil (foreman) Dessie McClean (apprentice fitter) Harry Moran who worked with Bobby Coulter in the dressing room. There was a smashing wee man worked there Geordie Elder who loved singing, in fairness he had a good voice. I remember Geordie playing football at lunchtime, doing nets, he was well into his sixties and him diving about like a cat. What a character.  There was a bossman called Steenson, can't remember his first name. There was a lovely girl who worked in the office and turned everyone's head when she walked through the workshop, I can't remember her name though. When I finished serving my time I was allowed 6 months to get another job, which was fair enough, started with NI Water Service and am still there.
I somehow heard Billy Irvine had drowned on holiday,very sad indeed, he was a really sound guy (fitter). I  really enjoyed my time there.

davyb

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 05:33:43 PM »
Hi Tommy yes it was great days back then.I can't remember the name Ferguson the only other fitter I remember was Billy Ball he worked in spinning department .

tomas_tb

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 06:14:45 PM »
Hi Davy, Billy Ball stayed in the spinning end and didn't venture into the weaving shop as far as I can remember. I have come up with another couple of names to test you. There was a Jackie Dunlop who was a joiner and his apprentice Jim Coulter. Jackie was a bit of a footballer, hard to get the ball of him. There was another guy Davy Truick, he wore a brown coat so he was a bossman of some kind, he was a gentleman. Thee was another lad about our age  worked there at the time George (DUNLOP I think). I remember his ambition was to shave with a cutthroat razor and came into work one morning with his face cut to ribbons. I hope he got better with practice.

davyb

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »
Yes Billy Ball was in with us in spinning remember Jim Coulter and Davy Truick not sure on Dunlop was he in weaving department