Author Topic: Stephenson  (Read 565 times)

Raystephenson

Stephenson
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:25:29 PM »
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help with this query.

Father George Courtney Stephenson (Father) 1924-2004
Mother Legh (Sorry no maiden name)
Son Adrian David or David Adrian (1952)
Daughter Gwen No Dob

I am looking for a possible marriage and the dates of Birth for the two children, as they are my half siblings.
Could be married and children born in England but lived in Belfast in the 60's

Much appreciate all the help.

Elwyn

Re: Stephenson
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »
     Births in Northern Ireland in 1952 and thereabouts are not on-line anywhere. (Births within the past 100 years, marriages within 75 and deaths within 50 have restricted access). To search for these recent records you have to go to either PRONI or GRONI in Belfast. They have terminals there that allow you to search for records right up to yesterday. But those 2 locations are the only place you can search yourself. It’s £2.50 to view each record.

If you can’t get to PRONI or GRONI, then you could contact GRONI with the details you have. They might search for you, for a fee.

And there is someone on this board who occasionally offers to do look ups at PRONI.  They might be able to help you.

Elwyn

Raystephenson

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:55:18 PM »
Elwyn,

Thanks so much for the information.

Regards
Ray

Raystephenson

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 08:58:35 PM »
Would the same apply if they married in the 1940's?

Many thanks in advance

Elwyn

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »
     Marriages in Northern Ireland within the past 75 years are not on-line. So, as I write today, those after 7th December 1942 are not on the GRONI website.  (They are added on a day by day basis as the calendar advances). Births within the past 100 years won’t be on the site either. So you have to go to PRONI or GRONI in person to view these records. Or, if you can’t do that,  contact GRONI by phone or e-mail (but there may be a search fee).

If George died in Northern Ireland in 2008, you could also search for a probate file for him. If he left a will it might name any children he left bequests to.  I searched the England & Wales Probate site but he doesn't appear to be listed there, so perhaps he left a will probated in NI.

I think that probate files for 2008 and later years are still held by the Probate Court in Belfast, though the on-line information about this is most confusing. One website seems to suggest that probate files up to 2010 are with PRONI. (If so, you can view them there free, but only if you go in person). Another suggests that files for 2008/9 are still with the Probate Court. Frankly I don’t know. I suggest you contact the Probate Court to check.  The bad news is that if the files are still there,  they may want a search fee which looks to be £22. But you’ll need to check that with them.

https://www.justice-ni.gov.uk/articles/probate

Elwyn

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy