Author Topic: Essay on emigration - participants wanted!  (Read 155 times)

RebeccaK

Essay on emigration - participants wanted!
« on: November 29, 2017, 03:07:09 PM »
Hello all,

As a part of my studies, I am currently researching the relation between conflict, and unemployment, emigration and segregation. This will be an extension on an essay I have published previously on the Belfast Forum, which can be found here: http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,66092.msg1893635.html#msg1893635

I will be conducting a research on emigration during and after the Troubles and am currently looking for people who left Northern Ireland between 1969 and 2017 who would be willing to share their story with me. My research will be based on statistics, but seeing as it is just as important to include actual emigrantsí stories in my research, I would like to ask you to share your experiences with me through a questionnaire, which will be sent to you via PM upon request. Unless you explicitly state your consent to use your (user)name, you will be kept anonymous.

The original version of my essay will be written in Spanish. Once my work has been graded and reviewed, I will translate it into English and make it available to those who are interested.

If you have any questions regarding this essay, please do not hesitate to send me a personal message. Please, do not respond to this thread if you are not interested in participating and do not go off-topic.

Thanks in advance!

geraldine williamson

Re: Essay on emigration - participants wanted!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 09:19:03 AM »
Well done you!  I'm afraid we left dear old Belfast 1955 so unfortunately we do not qualify, as did my colleague Doreen and Joe Bowman with whom I worked as a medical secretary during the early years of the 50's  No matter... I wish you all the luck in the world with your project.  Gerry (Geraldine but Gerry to all my BF buddies) :)

misssmyth1

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »
Hello Rebecca k

If I can help out in any way i will  be glad to, just PM me and I will do my best to oblige

Barbara..

geraldine williamson

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:09:52 PM »
Hello Rebecca k

If I can help out in any way i will  be glad to, just PM me and I will do my best to oblige

Barbara..
Thank you for your kind offer Barbara....my eldest son (ex-fireman) is at present terminally ill with lower bowel cancer, attending for Chemotherapy.  He took early retirement from the Fire Service to go to Athens Greece to help the refugees there, along with other volunteers.  He stayed for 4 and a half years returning at high days and holidays for family get-togethers etc.  Last January 2016 he came back for a few days but I noticed he was very gauntly looking, he is lean built anyways but I somehow knew something was not quite right.  My daughter Caroline and my other son Steve told me not to be jumping to conclusions.  He started to get tummy pain and the rest and when seen by our local GP was fast-tracked to University Hospital here in Coventry and following  MRI's, blood tests etc that he had 3 months to live!  Imagine our shock and hs too.  But with Chemo could be a bit longer. 

I prayed to St Martin DePorres and Saint Pedro Pio and between us we have seen him through although the chemo is on-going.  He has put back some weight, though finds he has to have gluten-free food but I am coping with this.  All in all thank God he looks brighter and is so very independent now. He lives with me at home.

Regarding your offer of help, if you pray Barbara, all I ask is you say a wee prayer for him sometime and that will be of great assistance to both myself and the family. 

Thanks again for your kind offer.  Gerry in Coventry.