Author Topic: Did you leave Northern Ireland between 1969 and 2017?  (Read 6531 times)

RebeccaK

Did you leave Northern Ireland between 1969 and 2017?
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:53:51 AM »
Hello all,

Earlier this week, I have posted a message on the Notice Board section, asking for your assistance with a new academic research project:

“Essay on emigration – participants wanted!”, which can be found following this link:http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,71018.0.htm

Any contributions and feedback related to this project will be treated as being anonymous and in confidence, unless you wish for it to be otherwise and give your consent for that.

The new research relates to the coherence between conflict, emigration, unemployment and segregation, and to what degree these factors influence each other. This will be in relation to an earlier research of mine about the Belfast peace walls, which you can read here: http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,66092.0.html

An aspect of this new research project will be conducting research on emigration during and after the Troubles. I am currently looking for people who left Northern Ireland between 1969 and 2017 who would be willing to share their story with me.

If you wish to respond, or if you wish to offer assistance with this project, please do so either on this post or via BF private message on my profile page, which can be found here: http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=24824

Apart from my own reasons for conducting this new academic research project, if you wished to make your contribution to it, it would be an opportunity for you to both document your own related experiences and to make a small contribution to Belfast and Ulster history.

Thank you.

pr

Re: Did you leave Northern Ireland between 1969 and 2017?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 04:56:42 AM »
I left Belfast for Canada in 1976 and w old be willing to share my story and experience

PR

sj

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 10:44:55 PM »
Also willing to share.  This is very fertile ground rebeccak.   I am in Australia. :)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

RebeccaK

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:22:15 AM »
Also willing to share.  This is very fertile ground rebeccak.   I am in Australia. :)

I should have shared an update earlier, but I have already finished writing the essay. Regardless, thank you! :)

Captain_Pugwash

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 10:53:15 AM »
I read youe essay, lots of good research well done. Community division in its current state is encouraged and in many cases enforced in certain areas of Belfast because the political powers need to retain a divisive society in order to keep their positions. One area where there has never been segregation whatsoever is the Health Service. There has never been a divided hospital ward according to religion. As this is the case then why not in other parts of society?. The Americans had a "bussing" system in the late 60s early 70s to ensure that all people at a very young age were integrated. It is only when children are educated together that these barriers will come down. To the people of Belfast who are reading this "you are currently preventing your children from having a broad minded future unless you act now to change things". Quote me if you wish.

RebeccaK

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 11:00:15 PM »
I read youe essay, lots of good research well done. Community division in its current state is encouraged and in many cases enforced in certain areas of Belfast because the political powers need to retain a divisive society in order to keep their positions. One area where there has never been segregation whatsoever is the Health Service. There has never been a divided hospital ward according to religion. As this is the case then why not in other parts of society?. The Americans had a "bussing" system in the late 60s early 70s to ensure that all people at a very young age were integrated. It is only when children are educated together that these barriers will come down. To the people of Belfast who are reading this "you are currently preventing your children from having a broad minded future unless you act now to change things". Quote me if you wish.

I’m glad you enjoyed reading the essay!

Ron Qua

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 03:19:54 PM »
I Left Belfast 1982 for York in England

Tonyho

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 01:02:57 AM »
October 10th  1975 is when I left Belfast.

Burnsy

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 01:15:20 AM »
October 10th  1975 is when I left Belfast.

Did you work in the Chinese resturant on the Antrim Road?
It's Nice to be Nice.!!

jillyfred

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »
Good to see you Burnsy.
Hope all good with you and yours.
Any news about Paulette?
Keep safe.

jilly

Tonyho

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 12:29:31 AM »
No i'm not Chinese. I Was born in Ballymurphy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy